">

Steely Dan
The Royal Scam

by ValenDreth USER (23 Reviews)
January 28th, 2020 | 12 replies

Release Date: 1976 | Tracklist

Slick, groovy, immaculate. Sonic perfection, auditory ejaculation - my ears are but a bunghole, and if my listening habits are any indication, the Burroughs-inspired titular dildo has turned brown from the thrashing Becker and Fagen have unleashed on me pooper over the years. It hurts to fart, but its hurts so good, kind of like the down and out losers featured in the jazz rock duo's classic songs. You love to feel their pain. Kinky.

Enter the seedy underbelly of The Royal Scam, the peak of the Dan's cynicism and trademark snark. Managing a delicate balancing act between the glossy studio wizardry of Aja and the group's earlier work, here we have the Dan album for guitarists. Session player Larry Carlton dazzles with his slickness, his licks cool and tasty, his solos dripping and oozing with the feel and the soul, it grooves but has a sinister feel, like a shark who joined a jazz band. No one knows he's a shark until he bites - a great example would be the shredder's delight that is "Don't Take Me Alive." Powerful stuff.

Lyrics in popular music and rock is typically ***e, crapola of the lowest order. For the more literary of listeners out there, Steely Dan are at your service. There is beauty, sadness, humor, and most of all ***ing humanity within these characters. Bits of you and I are found in each snapshot. Faulkner, Hemingway, Joyce, Robert E. Howard - these wordsmiths would have listened to Steely Dan had they been given the chance. The title track farts on the American dream, more relevant now than ever thanks to Donald Drumpf. The system is crap.

Give this album a spin, it oozes the feel.

Eminem Music to Be Murdered ByThergothon Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth
Imprecation Theurgia Goetia SummaRunemagick Resurrection in Blood
Miles Davis SorcererRed Hot Chili Peppers Californication
BurgerMcJackson (4)
A very solid album, mixing all sorts of styles into one. Straight up good, unpretentious music....

MindsOfMen
January 28th 2020

I don't know how anyone can read this guy's reviews and not laugh their ass off.

Drifter
January 28th 2020

Did you realize that you were a champion in their eyes?

Digging: The Blue Nile - Hats

ValenDreth
January 28th 2020

I appreciate words of praise.

undertakerpt
January 29th 2020

I read this review in the tone of a 3am whispering jazz radio dj, it made sense

Confessed2005
January 29th 2020

This made me chuckle. Props.

Digging: Despised Icon - Purgatory

wham49
January 30th 2020

this is one of my least fave of the classics from them, not sure why, love the review

January 30th 2020

Huge bump. Such a fucking good album. Haitian Divorce is one of the greatest tunes of all time

LakeeshaJackson
January 31st 2020

That intro on "Don't Take Me Alive" has to be one of the greatest guitar pieces ever written

sonictheplumber
February 4th 2020

This is the flagged review lol

MindsOfMen

Flagged for what?

sonictheplumber
February 4th 2020

It's the first one that shows up

ReefaJones