Halsey
Manic

by TheMoonchild USER (147 Reviews)
January 19th, 2020 | 74 replies

Release Date: 01/17/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If they're laughing, fuck 'em all

To say that Ashley "Halsey" Fragipane's road to stardom has gotten off to something of a... well, rocky (for lack of a better word) start seems almost redundant at this point. 2015's Badlands saw her delcaring that she's the "New Americana", and "god damn right, you should be scared of me" among other statements, without really having the caljones to prove to us exactly why. 2 years later, and she somehow managed to dig herself deeper into the hole she got herself in with the clumsily titled Hopeless Fountain Kingdom, an album that almost could be the textbook definition of a "sophomore slump" had its predecessor actually been, ya know, good. Despite carving something of a niche, and becoming somewhat well-known due to collaborations with Yungblud and BTS, any enthusiasm for anything she does from there on seems to be met with the enthusiam of a wet warthog's backside.

Which is a shame, because her third album, Manic, is actually not half bad.

Make no mistake. Manic sees Halsey making a lot of the same mistakes she made in 2017 and 2015. The album is all over the fucking place and can't seem to keep its mind on one singular idea. I suppose that's probably an inkling of self-awareness from her, as the title is titled Manic, and Fragipane has been open with her struggles with bipolar disorder in the past. But ironically, this album seems to be more unhinged than Hopeless and Badlands, only this time without feeling the need to commit to a single, unifying narrative- and in committing to being more all over the place, has allowed her to bring some of her crazier ideas to light, which makes the resulting music easier to respect and admire. The best example of this is probably "Forever (...is a Long Time)", which somehow manages to squeeze piano balladry, ambience and electronica in almost 3 minutes, making for one of the most compelling tracks on the album. Following suit is "Dominic's Interlude" and "I HATE EVERYBODY", two twin songs that, despite sharing the same musical backing and chord progression, seem like polar opposites of each other. This is also followed with "3am", an Alanis Morissette-style rocker that shows Fragipane letting off steam over a pretty damn catchy beat, and it's clear at this point that she's not yet done showing you what she can really do.

And yet despite not being bound by a single unifying narrative, and being more ADHD-riddled than ever, Manic ironically still sounds a lot more cohesive than the two albums that came before. Much of the album takes on a more calm and collected tone, and even catchier tunes like "3am" and "You Should Be Sad" only manage to compliment this. Manic presents a more focused and confident Halsey, and, surprise, surprise, more self aware too. Not to say that it's not full of stupid fucking mistakes- "Finally//Beautiful Stranger" sounds too close to Lady Gaga's "You and I" to have as much objectivity as it's clearly going for, second track "Clementine" is completely marred by its incredibly cringe-worthy "I don't need anyone" spoken word bits that are way too on the nose to take objectively, and "Killing Boys" is somehow WORSE than "Don't Play", doubling down on the try-hard that marred the latter and sees Halsey relapsing back into momentary bad judgementm and "Suga's Interlude" is extremely ill-advided, with Suga's rapping blending as well with Halsey's vocals as peanut butter and cheese. There's more, but the album does seem to find a way to relapse from these bad moments- the aforementioned "Clementine" with "Nightmare", a catchy, pulsing banger of a tune that has a solid groove and some of Halsey's most soaring vocal work.

They say the third time is the charm, and while it's a bit early to tell with Manic at the moment, Halsey does seem to have made a sterner attempt to give us something new here. If you hate Halsey, this album probably isn't going to change your mind, but if you consider yourself open-minded, there's bound to be a few surprises here. In penultimate track "Still Learning", Halsey laments that "I'm still learning, to love myself"- one could interpret that as Halsey gaining more self-confidence to write more agreeable music- or maybe even writing music for herself for once, instead of pandering with groaners such as "Bad at Love", or even "Without Me" (which is on this very album)- whatever it means, that's completely irrelevant, because the man point here is that Manic is an undeniable step forward for someone who's spent 5 years seemingly taking absolutely no steps at all.

Green Day Father of All MotherfuckersLauryn Hill MTV Unplugged No. 2.0
Poppy I DisagreeEminem Music to Be Murdered By
Korn The Path of TotalityGhost (SWE) Meliora
2.6

January 19th 2020

I somehow had even lower hopes for this than the Eminem album, colour me pleasantly surprised.

Green Baron

There’s a Brand New sample on here

January 19th 2020

I don't listen to them, but that's cool

mvdu
January 19th 2020

Worth checking out if I have never been a fan?

WatchItExplode

Heard this guy fukks...

JayEnder
January 19th 2020

Graveyard is such an annoying song

Digging: Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

January 19th 2020

Dunno, I kinda found it bouncin'

alamo

wakanda forever

Sinternet
January 19th 2020

she's still yet to make another song as good as ghost or colors were, but what i've heard off this is a vast improvement over her last

AngryJohnny
January 19th 2020

First paragraph is on point, haven't heard this but I will give it a go and try to keep an open mind

TundraL5Z
January 19th 2020

Honestly, this record is exactly what I wanted from Halsey, a more stripped back and personal affair, although I do like her previous albums to some extent, it's pretty clear this to be her best

Digging: Haken - Virus

January 19th 2020

I hate this album. All that time she spent posturing about Marilyn Manson, Blink 182 and MCR and there’s not one banger on here.its all so boring and safe.

Digging: Shotgun Messiah - Second Coming

But I guess I was

Misguided in my hopes because I thought I’d be hearing Nightmare on here and have at least a few more bangers as well.

hansoloshotfirst
January 19th 2020

overall too many bland and ultimately forgettable tracks on this record.

January 21st 2020

Very good review. I only heard Badlands and all I remember of that album was 'New Americana' - which was actually sort of a banger. Might check this out of curiosity.

Digging: The Microphones - Microphones in 2020

Dewinged

20569 Comments

Let's feature this and the Alice Boman album and we'll have a truly sidesplitting front page.

Digging: Jaga Jazzist - Pyramid

Feather
January 21st 2020

I really have been enjoying this

Uzumaki
January 21st 2020

Interesting. I for one enjoyed "Badlands" and "Hopeless..." for the pop they were, so I'm looking forward to hearing this as well. Good review as well.

Digging: Crystal Lake - The Voyages

hasan
January 21st 2020

good pop cd some on the songs could be better

January 21st 2020

the alanis interlude bangs so hard