Slayer
Reign in Blood

by matthew36 USER (37 Reviews)
December 15th, 2019 | 53 replies

Release Date: 1986 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is the be-all end-all of thrash?

Now this is not a bad album. In fact, it is a pretty good album, but why people consider this to be the greatest metal album of all time is beyond me. It's an above average album that definitely pushed the envelope of brutality, but it doesn't have the raw heaviness of Darkness Descends, or the sheer frightful evil factor of Seven Churches (or even Hell Awaits for that matter!).

There are quite a few great songs on here... not just the first and last song, which everyone remembers (Angel of Death and Raining Blood, for those that have spent the last 16 years listening to disco), but also Postmortem, Jesus Saves, and also the highly underrated Epidemic. Those are probably the most well-developed songs on there: Angel of Death with the monster thrash break in the middle. Postmortem and Raining Blood together are a 7 minute thrash epic. (The line between the two songs was forever blurred when the CD was mastered incorrectly and the last verse of Postmortem began the last track!) Jesus Saves has that nifty intro, and Epidemic has a great middle break, almost as good as that of Angel of Death.

The rest... Altar of Sacrifice is not bad, in fact quite good. Just not... GREAT. It's a song that would not have made it to Hell Awaits - add maybe 4 more riffs, and possible. But, it just feels incomplete - just when it really starts to pick up, it's over. That's the problem with some other songs on here. Criminally Insane has that cool middle break, but it's only a few seconds. Necrophobic, well, for lack of a better term, is pure crap. Sure, it's 253 beats per minute, but fast for fast's sake never works. (Besides, if you want FAST, check out the demo version of Kruiz's "The Last Dawn" from 1986... 318 beats per minute of pure ***ing speed metal!) Reborn, well, just another kinda forgettable song. Piece by Piece... they left out a few pieces, it's another half a song.

The album really does suffer in the fact that 8 of the 10 songs are under 3 minutes long. It's only 28 minutes in total: an example of S.O.D. syndrome. Slayer are capable of writing full, and interesting songs: check out any of the other albums with Dave Lombardo. Reign in Blood has a lot of potential, but it just manages to come up short. It's a fun listen, but not nearly as classic as some of the other Slayer releases.

Megadeth Rust in PeaceAnthrax Persistence of Time
W.A.S.P. The Headless ChildrenMegadeth Countdown to Extinction
Rainbow Straight Between the EyesOzzy Osbourne Bark at the Moon
4.4

December 15th 2019

Review is a bit brief and really not specific. Kinda feels if you removed all the conversational tone there may be one or two sentences left. Not trying to be mean, but there's a lot you can build from here. A few examples:

This is the be-all end-all of thrash?

This isn't addressed here at all. Given how you've dropped such a pointed question on the readers you kind of need to bring your thesis into line with this - either for or against.

December 15th 2019

I get your point, but the language is so simplistic. I mean an eight year old could probably provide better insight. I'd also steer away (especially in the above) from sweeping generalizations that have nothing to back them up. Terms like "greatest of all time" are a matter of opinion (which is relevant/given the right scenario) - but find a reader who doesn't share the same sentiments as you and you'll be flambe.

Name-dropping for the sake of name dropping doesn't help a writer's credibility. Back up your arguments! Why doesn't this album "A" meet the same standards as album "B". Who, what, where, when and how.

December 15th 2019

Re-write. One example: Despite the two most memorable tracks, "Angel Of Death" and "Raining Blood" there are a number of great songs on Slayer's 'Reign In Blood'...

for those that have spent the last 16 years listening to disco)

What's the point of this if not to bolster out a loose conversational review? There's no relevance in taking shots at a genre/scene so far detached from metal music listening.

December 15th 2019

There's a lot more on this, but you should probably get the idea from what I've isolated above. You can also see I've said nothing about grammar or the fragmented improper sentences (and lack of basic sentence structure for that matter). I think you need to take a proper think about what you want to say, followed by examples and references that give you a better informed opinion than your average youtube comment.

Keep pluggin'. Read some staff reviews (or even a newspaper...) and maybe reach out for some help. We all had to start somewhere.

Source

2nd best after seasons

matthew36
December 15th 2019

I appreciate your comments but really it can not be this bad of a review.

artiswar
December 15th 2019

Now this is not a bad album. In fact, it is a pretty good album

December 15th 2019

I appreciate your comments but really it can not be this bad of a review.

In fairness, things can often sound harsher when typed than what's meant to be. I won't bullshit you though; your opinions are valid and can be justified. You simply have a review full of fluff and no substance. Simply: this review is not as good as you think it is.

Again, I don't want any of this to be dickish, but if you're not told than how do you know?

matthew36
December 15th 2019

Ok I will keep this in mind for my next review(s)

BAT
December 15th 2019

the classics def overshadow half of the album buuuut the older i get the more i'm like 'oh fuck ya thaaaat riff.' this albums way heavier than darkness descends tho. less commas/punctuation, track descriptions are too minimal to warrant listing every song. also hell awaits#1

December 15th 2019

unprecedented heights, no one ever topped this

Casavir
December 15th 2019

"unprecedented heights, no one ever topped this"

Dark Angel has entered the chat...

who's that sotb?

December 15th 2019

"I appreciate your comments but really it can not be this bad of a review."

"Now this is not a bad album. In fact, it is a pretty good album, but why people consider this to be the greatest metal album of all time is beyond me."

"The rest... Altar of Sacrifice is not bad, in fact quite good. Just not... GREAT."

"Reborn, well, just another kinda forgettable song."

Yeah, its bad. Reads like a metal archives review.

Digging: Thaetas - Shrines to Absurdity

Morningrise767

Classic album m/

December 15th 2019

what's wrong with metalarchives reviews? less pretentious than what sput staffers write most of the time if you ask me

December 16th 2019

Most of them read like a middle school essay.

December 16th 2019

that's probably because they're written by middle school students

Well there you go.

@art reminds me of xeno's Triumvir Foul summary:

"Triumvir Foul is an album you won't love, but you will certainly 'like.' In this case it's just fine."

Brilliant.