A Black Rose Burial
An Awakening of Revenants

by Get Low USER (17 Reviews)
December 14th, 2019 | 21 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: ambient deathcore

A Black Rose Burial were an ambient deathcore band from San Jose, California. Despite that they had been together for eleven years (2001-2012), the band only came out with one release: the EP An Awakening of Revenants, in 2005. The EP, which runs for twenty-one minutes on the nose, contains seven tracks; three of which are ambient, and four of which are ABRB's distinct style of sometimes technical, sometimes experimental, but all-the-time chaotic deathcore. Although these two genres may seem like an unlikely duo on the surface, ABRB managed to combine them into a rather fluid-sounding progression of music, which to this day I hold to be one of the most unique releases in deathcore.

The EP begins with Cobra Kai Versus Kobi Tai, a dreary, minute-and-a-half long ambient track that is bolstered by a dungeon synth-esque keyboard melody, and the first of quite a few sound clips (As a side note, all three of the ambient tracks have "Versus" in the title). Although most of the sound clips are short, this first one, which is a monologue by sheriff John Quincy Wydell from the Rob Zombie movie The Devil's Rejects, spans for nearly the entire track, and sets the dark tone for the rest of the EP. The following track, Straight From the Mind of a Modern Day Vigilante, comes rushing out of the gate with as spastic of a chug-heavy riff as could be conceived, along with Joel's loud screams, which even during this riff alone showcase his impressive range. It is during the beginning of this track too when the unintentionally (I assume) muddy production of the instruments can first be perceived; and while it may be off-putting to some, I think it enhances the overall eeriness of the music.

The riffs on the four deathcore tracks vary between standard death metal ruminations accompanied with blastbeats; chaotic, early-metalcore style passages; and breakdowns of different shapes and sizes. Occasionally, horror movie sound clips or short, jazzy interludes are used as transitions between riffs. There are also brief singing parts on three of the songs, but the singing is mediocre. The third track, A Baleful Aura in the Graveyard of Broken Gears, contains its own ambient intro, and is unfortunately the only track on the album where ABRB attempts to combine ambience with their heavier sound. The other two "Versus" tracks – of which all three technically pose as the intro, interlude, and outro – are fairly straightforward keyboard musings, with the latter drawing a melodic guitar accompaniment to bring the otherwise sullen EP to pleasant close.

It is unfortunate that ABRB never committed to releasing a follow-up to An Awakening of Revenants, as I believe the natural progression that would've taken place with this band would be for them to start fusing the ambient and deathcore elements together in their songs instead of keeping them separated, which could have been very influential on the genre had it been done well. But for what it's worth, the separation of these elements on this EP are effective in helping the listener not to feel overly bombarded by the heavier parts. It has been proven during the rise and stagnation of deathcore that has occurred since the release of this EP that the genre usually doesn't play well with others (if at all), but An Awakening of Revenants is one of the few, true examples where it works effectively.

JoJo JoJo (2018)Her Name In Blood Decadence
Prom Night in Black and White This Sinking ShipWorld's End Girlfriend MEGURI
I Set My Friends On Fire Astral Rejection (OG)Soundtrack (Video Game) Sonic R Original Soundtrack

December 14th 2019

This EP is not on Spotify, so if anyone is interested in listening to it, here's a Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBB6G0QW87k

December 14th 2019

good stuff, i wish this had a review like ten years ago. Baleful Aura is the jam

Digging: Levon Vincent - World Order Music

December 14th 2019

That song is a classic. There is a user on this site called "ABalefulAura" who has this EP 5'd and who hasn't logged on since 2008, lol.

JohnnyoftheWell

2005 Get Lowcore shit damn surprise attack

Digging: Jida - Lucid

December 15th 2019

GetLowCore should be an actual genre tag tbh

December 15th 2019

"There is a user on this site called "ABalefulAura" who has this EP 5'd and who hasn't logged on since 2008, lol."

that's me lol idk what i was doing with that account

ABalefulAura

reporting in

NO FUCKING WAY loooooool
Glad to see you're still around

Edit: Oh, it's you Motoko. I didn't see your previous comment. That's still really funny though.

Nikkolae
December 15th 2019

Considering the date this was released on, this was pretty creative, good listen for sure

Glad you liked it.

TabulaRasa6
December 18th 2019

This review makes me want to listen to this again. It's been like 10 years, jeegus.

Digging: REOL - Kinjitou

Confessed2005
December 18th 2019

When I first heard this I really enjoyed it. Long time ago now but definitely worth revisiting. Great review.

December 19th 2019

ty ty. I'm glad I was able to remind some people who had jammed this in the past that this exists.

ConcubinaryCode
January 16th 2020

Ay, I saw this album is getting a vinyl pressing.

yeah can't wait

January 16th 2020

"the vocalist of this band is in my band now. we might bring some of these tracks back"
"Ay, I saw this album is getting a vinyl pressing."

Gotta say, these are the last two comments I was ever expecting to see in this thread, lol. That's all great news though.

January 17th 2020

lol nice i was facebook friends with Joel back in the day for some reason. is the new band Asleep on the Forest Floor?

parksungjoon
February 17th 2020

wait didnt this have a review back in the day? this is so crazy, a guy i knew was super into these guys im pretty sure he rev'd this lmaooo

February 17th 2020

yeah new band is AOTFF, it was originally a solo project I had in the myspace days that I revived