As Dark As You
As Dark As You

by SitarHero CONTRIBUTOR (66 Reviews)
December 6th, 2019 | 15 replies

Release Date: 11/15/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The only problem with this EP is that it's not nearly long enough.

The individual pieces of what comprise As Dark As You (the EP) aren’t necessarily highly original. It's an atmospheric cloud of blackened post-metal that alternately rains blast beats and gentle clean passages onto a garden of winding, and somewhat doomy, progressive metal compositions that feed a bloom of alternative rock melodicism. However, what makes this EP special is how good the execution is and how well the band incorporate these disparate elements into a seamless and coherent whole that at no point feels like it’s either derivative or repetitive.

Admittedly, the EP is only three songs and not quite twenty minutes long, but it’s bookended by a pair of twisting seven-minute epics that illustrate what makes the EP brilliant. Album closer, “Mayday”, finds guitarist/bassist Chris Petchonka and drummer/producer/engineer Matt Graff dancing around Kenny Truhn’s gritty and wonderfully emotive voice that evokes Jeff Buckley after a week-long cigarettes-and-whisky bender in its haunted melancholy. Opener “Primal Urges of Desperate Men” additionally features harsh black metal screams which, while thematically appropriate, also feel like the one unnecessary aspect of the EP. Truhn's singing voice already blends so well with the music—aided both by some fine melodies and excellent production—that the harsh vocals come off as extraneous and a tad underdeveloped.

Meanwhile, the album’s centerpiece, “What’s in Your Heart” jumps feet-first into contemporary heavy pop/rock with earworms galore, courtesy of both Truhn and Petchonka. It doesn’t abdicate its black and post-metal elements, but refines them into something that’s concise and tremendously catchy. It’s radio-rock, but not the kind of radio-rock you would or should be embarrassed to listen to, because even when As Dark As You are making (relative) concessions to accessibility, their strong sense of identity and undeniable talent shine through like a beacon. As Dark As You presents a young band that has already found the source of the voice in their collective heads and coaxed it to sing.

"What's in Your Heart" : https://youtu.be/tyVezbJv9tA
"Mayday" : https://youtu.be/aZmtayF8LOs

Corelia New WildernessButch Walker American Love Story
Brass Against Brass Against EPNightmare Puppy Nara Nara Voltsong For Shower
Higher Power 27 Miles UnderwaterThe Contortionist Our Bones

11974 Comments

The EP is available here: https://asdarkasyou.bandcamp.com

Nocte
December 6th 2019

an 11th hour Sitar review. Consider me game.

11974 Comments

I've been feeling bad cos I haven't written a sput review in ages and I meant to do this weeks ago and got swamped by other stuff. This EP is rad though.

Dewinged

20148 Comments

I know the feeling very well.

Digging: Steve Von Till - As the Crow Flies

Ha! That feeling is our lives now. :/

December 7th 2019

How many visible minority are in this band?

Digging: Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure?

11974 Comments

As many as there are in the audience.

Kusangii

Edgiest band name ever?

HoopyFrood
December 8th 2019

Wow this is really good!

Dewinged
December 11th 2019

20148 Comments

Not really feeling this Sitar. The singing is not really good, to the point they had to sink it in distortion and effects to have smth decent in some parts. He sounds alright in the quiet parts.

Music is decent, but just that I guess.

December 11th 2019

11974 Comments

Whaaa?! I thought the dude's voice is great and heard no distortion or effects at all. If anything his vocals are mixed maybe slightly too clear and high in the mix.

autoNamed
January 6th 2020

The vocals are not doing it for me

January 9th 2020

11974 Comments

Hmm that's unfortunate. To each their own I guess.

BlindHouse
February 21st 2020

Really enjoying this, vocals are working for me. Thanks for this review man, I wouldn't have found this without it.

February 21st 2020