Genesis
Trespass

by e210013 USER (127 Reviews)
December 2nd, 2019 | 32 replies

Release Date: 1970 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Perhaps the most beautiful and passionate Genesis’ album. A giant step from their debut and a landmark to the band.

“Trespass” is the second studio album of Genesis and was released in 1970. The line up on the album is Peter Gabriel, Anthony Phillips, Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford and John Mayhew.

The eighteen months between the release of their debut and its successor, are the most decisive period in the history of Genesis. Everybody who knows both albums can’t help notice just how much impressively the group had developed their style. With “Trespass”, Genesis abandoned all the sunshine stuff of their previous album and went to King Crimson’s prog world. Genesis decided they would have to revamp in a different way. They picked up a better drummer and reinvented a fresh prog group. On “Trespass”, gone were the short pop songs and the youthful faces on the cover, replaced by lengthy and complex compositions with endless instrumental breaks, and a beautiful blue painted by Paul Whitehead. That crucial experience will turn Genesis in one of the best and most important prog rock acts ever.

In reality, you can really wonder what happened to Peter Gabriel & Co between their debut and their second studio album “Trespass”. From the naive light weighted debut they had turned to a complex and masterful progressive rock sound that would become cloned by literally hundreds of other bands in the following years. Sure, from a technical point of view they were still far from a perfect band. But the magic atmosphere, the distinctive, delightful and the classic Genesis’ sound it was already felt clearly here in all its glory. So, we have Gabriel’s sore and passionate vocals, Bank’s symphonic and majestic mellotron and atmospheric Hammond organ, Rutherford’s airy bass sound and Phillips’ tasty guitar work. The weakest link was their drummer Mayhew. But it would be solved in their next album with Phil Collins.

However, due to a propelled by a crippling onset on stage fright Anthony Phillips was forced to leave the band following the album’s release, pursuing a very prolific and interesting career as a solo artist. But the new guitarist Steve Hackett would more or less clone his sound and style of playing. In reality, there’s not a weak point in any of the album’s six tracks. Ironically, his influence was felt very strongly on their subsequent breakthrough third album, “Nursery Cryme”. The title track was the band’s first number to attract a wide audience in progressive rock circles for its introduction and opening minute, which used material that Phillips had written and recorded, as a demo, as early as in 1969.

About the tracks, “Looking For Someone” is an engaging mystical song with interesting lyrics, a thick atmosphere and a rather catchy melody that sounds very emotional and desperate. “White Mountain” is acoustic guitar based music with great keyboards. The melody is stunning and the transition pieces with acoustic guitar and keyboard are excellent. “Visions Of Angels” has a beautiful piano passage incredible catching and the instrumental interlude is very intricate. The combination of acoustic guitar and keyboards works very nicely. “Stagnation” starts with an acoustic section and the rest is just beautiful acoustic guitar joined with some keyboards and soft vocals. It evolves from quiet moments to more energetic sections while retaining an almost carefree ambience. “Dusk” features great and tasty guitar passages, some delicate vocals and the perfect sound picture that is standard for this amazing band. This is the simplest but still is a very nice track. “The Knife” is the first Genesis’ classic. Few other Genesis songs contain the raw power crammed into this song. From the blood pumping verses and anthemic choruses to the moody, the song is a complete thrill. This song offers a complex epic arrangement that would become the band’s standard on their future albums. It’s the heaviest piece ever recorded by Genesis and is the only number from the album to be performed regularly on stage.

In short, from the passionate opener “Looking For Someone” to the mystical “White Mountain” and then to the beauty of “Visions Of Angels” through the many wonderful themes and chord changes of “Stagnation” to the lovely ballad “Dusk” and finally it all ends with the powerful aggression of “The Knife”, all of this made of this a fantastic album.

Conclusion: “Trespass” is a landmark album for Genesis. Genesis’ second album was a far cry from their debut. Filled with angst, energy and passion, “Trespass” is full by great tracks, especially “The Knife”, their first masterpiece, which ensured that the group’s musical direction was clear. “Trespass” would remain as the band’s naive, heaviest and darkest album of their career. I’m sure that “Trespass” is the most underrated Genesis’ album. I always loved it since I listened to it in the 70’s. However, its sound quality is really poor, what has always been a fact with the earlier Genesis’ works. For many, this is the first Genesis’ album, because on it, the group really found their sound. Howsoever this is a great album which all prog lovers, especially early Genesis’ fans, should own. Still, it doesn’t equal or surpass the level of later Genesis albums, like “Foxtrot”, “Selling England By The Pound” or “The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway”.

Music was my first love.
John Miles (Rebel)

Gentle Giant Gentle GiantCaravan For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night
Quiet Sun MainstreamKhan Space Shanty
Heldon Stand ByPulsar The Strands of the Future
Jethro42 (4)
Trespass is an undisputed gem that states the birth of a prog hero of all times....

pulseczar (3.5)

sonictheplumber (3.5)
A sign of great things to come....

Nagrarok (3.5)
A daring step into the progressive world....

December 2nd 2019

In this month, the Christmas time, it's time to return to some classic prog stuff. Today I choose a very special album to this band and to myself. To the band because it was their real turning point and probably the reason why they don't split up and turned in one of the most important prog acts. To me because I always loved it. So, this is a very special album, a unique album in all Genesis' career.

Drbebop
December 2nd 2019

Weird little album. Can’t say it’s my fave but Looking for Someone is really beautiful

December 2nd 2019

Neither do I. Weird, but lovely too. Thanks for your comment, pal.

wham49
December 2nd 2019

havent heard this in forever, remember it being good, if not slightly different then the classic G albums

December 2nd 2019

Yeah, slightly different but still is a classic. It's always a pleasure to talk to you bro. Thanks.

Source

great album

December 2nd 2019

Absolutely, pure and naive. Thanks for the comment.

wham49
December 2nd 2019

by classic, I meant the ones that people associate with

Divaman
December 2nd 2019

I'm totally unfamiliar with this album, e. Nice job.

Digging: Deep Cut - Different Planet

December 2nd 2019

You must check it, Diva. At least, as a curiosity, since it was released before Phil Collins and Steve Hackett are members of the band. If you like pastoral and Medieval music, you may like it. It's more pure and naive than their other works which are more polite and sofisticated.

Thanks.

December 2nd 2019

I understood what you you wanted to mean wham. Still, I think it's a classic, in its own way.

MrSirLordGentleman
December 3rd 2019

The Knife is one their best songs by far

facupm

Nice

December 3rd 2019

Agree SirLord. One of their best tracks, indeed.

December 3rd 2019

Thanks for comment facupm.

TheNotrap
December 3rd 2019

Pleasant reading e210013, I like the parallel stories you add, they help to contextualize. What happened on stage with Anthony Phillips?

Digging: Deathspell Omega - The Furnaces of Palingenesia

December 4th 2019

Thanks, Notrap. I appreciated your comment.

About Phillips, unfortunatelly to him, he developed stage fright which got progressively worse as time went on. So, Phillips was advised by his doctor to quit the band. So, since that impossibilitated him to pursue with the band, he decided to pursue an interesting and substantial solo career. He is an amazing classical guitarist. A dramatic case, indeed.

Jethro42
December 4th 2019

Mayhew did a good job for Trespass, even if he's repetitive in his playing, and even if the band kept on saying him how to play. With his tight and expressive bass, Rutherford guides Mayhew well. Folk guitarist Phillips shines and paved the way for Hackett who is more than a simple folk guitarist; He is classically trained.

Fact; Phillips has contributed for songs such as ''Musical Box'' and ''Fountain Of Salmacis''. I've always thought that ''The Knife'' would have fit well in Nursery Cryme's vibes. Banks and Gabriel are the obvious leaders for Trespass, and even for all their releases until The Lamb. Every song has its charm here on Trespass. My faves are ''The Knife'' and ''White Mountain'', but ''Looking For Someone'' and ''Visions Of Angels'' are not far behind. ''Visions Of Angels'' is the one of the bunch that gives me more shivers in places.

Nice review, mate.

December 4th 2019

Good and interesting analysis of the band in the time of the album. You're right. Gabriel and Banks ruled here. Still, I think Phillips has his share here, too. As you mentioned Phillips has contributed for songs such as ''Musical Box'' and ''Fountain Of Salmacis''. It's interesting to imagine what would have be Genesis without Hackett and with Phillips still on board on their following works. Certainly they would be a very different band, but a good band too. But, seeing the things at this distance, I'm sure that I would miss Hackett very much. Hackett and Banks alwys were my favourite members of the band.

Thanks bro.

TheIntruder
December 5th 2019

Nice another review of this album. Nice work. Have a pos.