Knocked Loose
A Different Shade of Blue

by TakeToYourGuns USER (1 Reviews)
November 13th, 2019 | 31 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Guided by the moon, Knocked Loose found their way.

“A Different Shade of Blue” is Knocked Loose’s follow up to the instant success that was “Laugh Tracks”. Laugh Tracks put them on the map and showed them that they had the ability to be a driving force in the modern hardcore scene. On ADSOB they didn’t just prove that they weren’t just a one hit wonder, they proved they could be even heavier and better overall.

As a whole, the band has matured and improved on all fronts. They seem to have found a groove that they are comfortable putting themselves in and creating a monstrous album around it. The album is unrelenting right from the start. It is fast, heavy, and the breakdowns are crushing. There is nothing gimmicky here like Laugh Tracks (Counting Worms) and the breakdowns are effectively used as a segue to and from riffs instead of useless filler. These riffs are by far the best Knocked Loose has ever written. They successfully wrote riffs that don’t sound similar to others to fill out songs like they have done in the past. On the vocal side, Bryan Garris has improved and built upon his unique and recognizable wail. He has solidified and perfected his style since Laugh Tracks and the coupling of his wail with Isaac Hale’s low growl fits the record better than any other vocal style could. There are a few songs that really stand out in the record. “Trapped in the Grasp of a Memory” is by far their strongest song on the record. The breakdowns are simply some of the best that I have ever heard and work very well as transitions between their riffs and release from the tension that is built up. The leading single, Mistakes like Fractures, crushes you right from the start and keeps building on it until it with no release until the end. Both of those songs are by far Knocked Loose’s best performances on the entire record.

It is hard to think any of the songs on this record are filler. Every single song absolutely crushes and the removal of any would be an injustice. An extremely important part of this band is their live performances. They are intense and they are able to consistently put on an amazing show. Will Putney knows this and did an amazing job with the production. He is able to perfectly encapsulate the intensity of their live performances. It’s hard to find any falter or misstep on this record. At first I wasn’t a huge fan of the sudden ending but after a few more listens I’ve come to see that it fits the album perfectly, it ends abruptly and in your face just as it started.

Overall, ADSOB shows that Knocked Loose are here to stay and they are going to be a leading force in the modern hardcore scene as well. Knocked Loose’s future is bright and I can only hope that they are able to reproduce such an amazing record again.

Favorite Tracks:
Trapped in the Grasp of a Memory
Mistakes like Fractures
Road 23
Denied by Fate

iChuckles (4)
I am rejected at heaven's gate....

Laugh Tracks

Pop Culture

TakeToYourGuns
November 13th 2019

This is the first review I've ever written. I know my writing sucks so I would appreciate some feedback so I can get better at this. Thanks!

AsleepInTheBack
November 13th 2019

not a bad first review. there are a few slightly clumsy turns of phrase here and there, but writing more and reading more reviews will probably clean those up with time. I'm also not entirely convinced that you've justified your 5, but eh, if its a 5 for you its a 5 for you

TakeToYourGuns
November 13th 2019

Thank you. I agree with you and I plan on doing just as you said. I constantly found myself having a hard time putting how I feel about the album into something cohesive that made sense.

TheSupernatural
November 13th 2019

I was kinda underwhelmed by this one, honestly. I never listened to Laugh Tracks but checked this out because of its warm reception here and it honestly sounds like they're relying way too hard on their sound, which is a good sound, but there's just not enough compelling songwriting. None of the songs really held my attention after a listen and a half. That being said, I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority there.

No one's first review is great and this sure is better than mine. Best advice I could give is just to avoid cliches as much as you can and talk about it from your perspective. I personally detest reviews of any art that just read like they're defending/attacking what they like/dislike, or read like promotional material. If you're giving something a 5, it's because it had a profound impact on you. Talk about that! The best reviews are always personalized by the author because it's about their experience with the album. They might mention objective qualities of the music (and you seem like you can easily do that based on this review), but they aren't the focus of the review.

As a final tip, I know it's popular, especially in older reviews, but I would omit the favorite tracks out of the review. Sometimes I'll mention them in the first comment if something really stands out to me but doesn't fit in the review itself.

WatchItExplode
November 13th 2019

Recommending a few track (and even providing links) in the first comment is a good way to go as well. I remember enjoying this when it first dropped and will have to revisit with the attention it's been getting lately.

Digging: Squid - Town Centre

botb

m/,

Confessed2005
November 14th 2019

Album is good but not a classic.

Very tight band too.

bigguytoo9
November 14th 2019

I agree, its not a classic. I have however spun this more times than I can count tho.

McTime50
November 15th 2019

well, how much CAN you count?

Supercoolguy64
December 19th 2019

I saw this at Target the other day and never heard of them before so I just assumed it was crappy butt rock lol. This sounds cool tho

Digging: Necrophagist - Onset of Putrefaction

dbizzles
December 20th 2019

This makes Laugh Tracks seem almost bad lol.

January 3rd 2020

This is surprisingly good, also this band doesn’t seem anywhere near as obscure as I’d assumed. 300+ votes, wtf?

Digging: Sed Non Satiata - Le Ciel De Notre Enfance

heck
January 3rd 2020

this is one of the hottest bands in the genre right now

Digging: Tribulation - Where the Gloom Becomes Sound

January 3rd 2020

I’m not really up with the scene, I just managed to completely miss this on release and then saw it on some end of year lists, lol. For a new release 300+ isn’t too shabby for lil’ ol’ Sput.

JayEnder

A

MEMORY

DDDeftoneDDD
January 8th 2020

Its here where the cool guys hang? Good rev. Album's only flaw is the oversimplistic drumming imo...it could be faster paced here and there too. It slays all along tho...far from a 5 band.

I d like to see some props for the low growls here! By the Grave is brutal. Also to Keith Buckley's apperance and to ..wandering south (other fave of mine). Now to get you guys all sassy, I dig the noise samples and inputs and talking vocals, gives me those cool Code Orange vibes.

Digging: Grief - Come to Grief

January 8th 2020

Not really, but it is where you can find cool af riffs. This is my kind of core. I like the slower groovy sections, the album benefits from a little variety.

GhostB1rd
March 16th 2020

This remains very enjoyable.

TabulaRasa6
March 16th 2020

This was one of my favorites last year. Not necessarily because it pushed anything, but because it was well-executed and it came at the right time for me.

YuriZakhaev
March 16th 2020

The opening in Forget Your Name and the growls in Misguided Son are straight ignant