Meshuggah
The Violent Sleep of Reason

2.0
poor

by rellik009 USER (5 Reviews)
November 5th, 2019 | 76 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Not sure if Meshuggah is still willing to continue.

Meshuggah is an extraordinary band. Their mathematical grooves and mechanical technicality garnered them one of the most unique aesthetics in metal. On their latest album, their music is still executed with pinpoint precision, whether it be the relentless chugging guitars, Thomas Haake reinventing drumming extravagance once again, or Jens howling insightful lyrics. Furthermore, the production is the definition of perfection here, truly encapsulating crushing robotics in sonic form.

However, their downfall grows more apparent throughout the album. And no, I do not mean "they haven't changed their aesthetic". However what I do mean is:
The riffs sound limp and powerless, lacking any sort of punch(remember Rational Gaze? Bleed? Well, not anymore), more like a boring melting pot of their previous riffs, with far less imagination related to their core aesthetic. Additionally, the atmospheric guitars which added critical nuance in every other Meshuggah album, now are reduced in featuring, and when they are featured, they either sound out of place(because their production hasn't changed to fit the newer general production) or lacking and not nuanced enough. Another point of criticism I have is about Jens' vocals. Why is it beginning to be a generic death metal voice? Is it old age wearing down our poor man? Lastly, the structuring is absolutely killing me. Meshuggah's structuring seemed repetitive before as well, but it was restless and engaging. Now, it's boring beyond belief and actually repetitive, thanks to the already weak musical features of the album, and the lack of thought put into the structure, as opposed to before.

I am not saying there is no light, because that would be wrong. "Clockworks" is an excellent, imaginative song, with ambitious structuring and a new take on Meshuggah's aesthetic, while not forgetting to pack an energetic punch, and twist the brain with mathematical riffs and unsettling leads. "Nostrum" is a top-notch song, winding in with atmospheric leads in one of the most innovative ways seen with Meshuggah, and showcases everything that a Meshuggah piece should be, on par with "Clockworks"(Mountainous riffs, the leads, the tastefully sterile vocals, groany production finally showing its colors, etc).

But yeah, it's not their best album.

(Note: this review was edited on 11/18/2019 in order to meet the comments' criticisms)

Chamberbelain CONTRIBUTOR (4)
"Disassemble this machinery, re-program these eyes and undo this design."...

Benjamin Kuettel STAFF (3)
Chaos dominates, inspiration falters...

Ocean of Noise (4.5)
Meshuggah’s new LP is their most inspired collection of songs in a decade, as well as their most e...

OmNomsky (2)
Slop...

rellik009
November 5th 2019

This is my first review. I tried to be as unbiased and "objective"(more accurately, constructive) on it as I could be. Hope you like it! Obviously, all feedback, negative or positive, is appreciated.

Sorry if I sound stiff on this comment btw lol

Edit: Edited the review.

TheSpirit
November 5th 2019

I didn't read the review yet, but being objective and unbiased is the opposite of what you're supposed to do.

Digging: Turpitude - Brume hiémale

TundraL5Z
November 5th 2019

I do very much agree with your review, but the structuring of the review isn't very good, although it is your first review so that's ok. I'm not much of a fan of Meshuggah usually but this reached a whole other level of "can I finish this album without me going insane... no I can't..." sort of thing for me

wrong opinion smh

AxeToFall93
November 5th 2019

Very much in agreement with the review, their worst record easily.

contradictions collapse

bigguytoo9
November 6th 2019

I still love this album.

Digging: Boris - NO

maximomckinnon
November 6th 2019

this reads more like extended review notes than an actual review

trying using these points to form more structured paragraphs and develop your points further

November 6th 2019

is actually just really bad in general

sixdegrees

pos'd

el_newg
November 6th 2019

what you call uninspired, I call consistency. this band has been killing it since the beginning, never really wavering from their sound too much... and that is a good thing. i want them to keep churning out crushing albums of tech time sigs because they are the masters of it and none do it better.

oltnabrick

poz'd

Digging: Staining the Twilight Black - Transforming the Myth

naughtcturnal

pawsd

Digging: Orchid - Chaos is Me

November 6th 2019

so many KILLs in one thread

Source

dang this dude got rekt

November 6th 2019

i mean i can dig the format but there's some really unnecessary and/or dumb remarks

naughtcturnal
November 6th 2019

implying debut has the most passion

Source