Meshuggah
The Violent Sleep of Reason

2.0
poor

by rellik009 USER (1 Reviews)
November 5th, 2019 | 72 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Not sure if Meshuggah has any passion left since their debut.

Meshuggah, Meshuggah. Meshuggah Meshuggah Meshuggah. Meeeeeshuggah. Why, oh why, is there not a hint of inspiration in your music. I just don't understand. The same qualities and faults apply to all their albums, except that after all these years, the faults are growing larger.

The qualities:
-Catchy, semi-memorable, complex, technical and fantastic riffs(guitars + bass)
-Crushing and aggressive production
-Generally good cohesiveness in their album
-Precise, consistent drums
-Amazing vocals and lyrics
-Excellent performance in general.
-They had a unique sound and did influence the extreme metal scene quite a bit, but that was far before this album was released.

Now the faults:
-Complete and utter lack of inspiration + song diversity, which should have been fixed four ***ing albums ago, when their energy was at its peak(theoretically). No, seriously, taken individually, without listening to the rest of the album, at least the riffs and songs can be somewhat different(let alone be unique), except that I'm listening to the whole album, and in the end it's really a contest of which one is most memorable and catchy. The gripe with this is that(again) the songs don't exactly sound completely different from each other(CHUGGA CHUG CHUG CH-CH-CHUGGA CHUG CHUG? CHUG CHUGGA CHUG CHUGGA CH-CHUG.), and I don't know if the robots(sorry I meant people) in charge of this album realized this. I mean, so much for that "massive robot army" feel, but I'm pretty sure even an android would feel insulted. The lyrics, well, they may be intellectual, but they're still the same kind of lyrics. The voice is the same. And there isn't enough nuance production-wise to convince me either. Basically, it's mainly a pot of over-indulging laziness, musically. Next point.

-Structurally, it's possible to be worse(but it's a close call), more uninspired, and most importantly, lazy, especially if your band is called Primus, but eh, at least Primus has other significant qualities to compensate. Meshuggah barely attempts a new idea in "Nostrum", but it's not convincing enough.

And this is crucial, because you may have the most dj0nty, catchiest, technical whatheverthe*** riffs ever, the most precise and consistent drummer(read: drum machine), a killer production and good vocals/lyrics, and whatnot, but in the end, if your inspiration is equal to a rotten, shriveled apple, that you can't break away from your own mould after 29 years(I'm being mean, I know), or make an album loaded with real song diversity, and that lastly, you can't be bothered to put in effort, no amount of catchy and crushing djent riffs are going to save your sinking ship. Like, ***ing hell Meshuggah, where are the new, fresh ideas? Where are they? Did they get crushed in the machinery of some industrial era steam-powered plant? Did they take part in the latest robotics project in an alternate reality? Additionally, do they seriously expect to be more recognized when most of what they do is create another mathematical riff, put in the rest of the band and kind of add/develop on the whole thing, then rinse and repeat? Seriously? Is that your "breaking away from influences", Thomas Haake? Sounding mostly generic, half-assed and boring on each song?

I seriously wonder what goes on behind the scenes, because boy am I not impressed right now.

Chamberbelain CONTRIBUTOR (4)
"Disassemble this machinery, re-program these eyes and undo this design."...

Benjamin Kuettel STAFF (3)
Chaos dominates, inspiration falters...

Ocean of Noise (4.5)
Meshuggah’s new LP is their most inspired collection of songs in a decade, as well as their most e...

OmNomsky (2)
Slop...

rellik009
November 5th 2019

This is my first review. I tried to be as unbiased and "objective"(more accurately, constructive) on it as I could be. Hope you like it! Obviously, all feedback, negative or positive, is appreciated.

Sorry if I sound stiff on this comment btw lol

TheSpirit
November 5th 2019

I didn't read the review yet, but being objective and unbiased is the opposite of what you're supposed to do.

Digging: Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape

TundraL5Z
November 5th 2019

I do very much agree with your review, but the structuring of the review isn't very good, although it is your first review so that's ok. I'm not much of a fan of Meshuggah usually but this reached a whole other level of "can I finish this album without me going insane... no I can't..." sort of thing for me

wrong opinion smh

AxeToFall93
November 5th 2019

Very much in agreement with the review, their worst record easily.

contradictions collapse

bigguytoo9
November 6th 2019

I still love this album.

maximomckinnon
November 6th 2019

this reads more like extended review notes than an actual review

trying using these points to form more structured paragraphs and develop your points further

November 6th 2019

is actually just really bad in general

sixdegrees

pos'd

Digging: Gary Glitter - I've Got Sweets

el_newg
November 6th 2019

what you call uninspired, I call consistency. this band has been killing it since the beginning, never really wavering from their sound too much... and that is a good thing. i want them to keep churning out crushing albums of tech time sigs because they are the masters of it and none do it better.

oltnabrick

poz'd

Digging: Coil - Worship The Glitch

naughtcturnal

pawsd

November 6th 2019

so many KILLs in one thread

Source

dang this dude got rekt

November 6th 2019

i mean i can dig the format but there's some really unnecessary and/or dumb remarks

naughtcturnal
November 6th 2019

implying debut has the most passion

Source