Hour of Penance
Misotheism

by TheNotrap USER (39 Reviews)
October 27th, 2019 | 24 replies

Release Date: 10/25/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: L'odio di Dio

Let me start by saying that I'm a Hour of Penance fan, I like this band since I heard Sedition in 2012, when I was looking for something similar to Behemoth, that is, a frantic modern extreme metal that escaped the established canons of the genre. It didn't take me long to get to know their entire discography, starting to follow the band's career ever since. Like Nile or Behemoth, Hour of Penance is one of those bands with an immediately recognizable brand. Evolving from a straightforward brutal death metal signature, reminiscent of the Dutch scene and Hate Eternal, to a more technical approach, these sinful Italians reached their peak of popularity between 2008 and 2013 with the all-powerful triumvirate: The Vile Conception, Paradogma and Sedition. Although I enjoyed the two albums that followed, which presented a more accessible side, these releases didn't get the same welcome from the underground circuit, now more focused on bands like Fleshgod Apocalipse, which added the symphonic element to Hour of Penance's original formula, managing to position themselves in the pole position of Italian extreme metal.

"Mass Crucifixion Of Kings' " decadent background symphony welcomes us to Misotheism, slowly opening the veil for the upcoming Dantesque scene. The torment of thousands of souls, waiting in line for their inevitable crucifixion at the hands of the fearsome, almighty executioner.

The fall of the powerful has begun.

"Blight And Conquer" hits us with a familiar riff, there's no doubt we're facing Hour of Penance's unmistakable aesthetics. What immediately strikes me is the surrounding ferocity, which instantly reminded me of Sedition. The combination of this massive intensity with the powerful catchy chorus reveals Misotheism's DNA, which positions the band again in 2012, while keeping the sense of harmony Hour of Penance presented in the two previous albums. This formula, which combines harmony and fury, remains throughout the album, with the band this time focusing more on the choruses, as we can hear in songs such as "The Second Babel" or "Fallen From Ivory Towers", both featuring interesting choruses, with the latter also including the best riff on the album. As was to be expected, the band's overactive approach remains unchanged, and to some extent even more pronounced, when compared to Regicide and Cast the First Stone. "Lamb Of The Seven Sins" and especially "Flames Of Merciless Gods", arguably one of the album's highlights, are both good examples of this brutal hyperactivity, which is the band's most identifying element. Hour of Penance's early influences emerge again in "The Second Babel" and "Dura Lex Sed Lex", which feature Hate Eternal-esque aesthetics, showing the band is proud of its past, without fear of showing their references, or even introducing new textures, such as Anaal Nathrakh-esque chorus in "Sovereign Nation" or the more avant-garde approach in "Iudex", which sometimes reminds Deathspell Omega. However, the most surprising moment lies at the end, with "Occult Den Of Snakes", Misotheism's most progressive offering, which features deathcore patterns reminiscent of bands like Humanity's Last Breath. It would have been interesting to include one more song with a similar approach, thus giving Misotheism greater tridimensionality and diversity, further enhancing the album's intrinsic quality.

Misotheism is the sound of preserverance, yet another chapter in a two-decade story that has never abandoned its profane hatred of God, and even though it lacks the faithful following it once had, this original Italian sin still has enough hatred to make the gods tremble.

Lord Mantis Universal Death ChurchAbigail Williams Walk Beyond The Dark
Schammasch Hearts of No LightNile Vile Nilotic Rites
Exhumed HorrorTeitanblood The Baneful Choir

October 27th 2019

I know the band doesn't have much love around here, but I really like these guys. Album rules.

Full stream:

Digging: Unfathomable Ruination - Enraged & Unbound

Nocte
October 27th 2019

Starting to dislike my use of the 3/5 rating. It's not specific enough.

October 27th 2019

If you asked me, I'd say your rating would be around 3.5, so it doesn't come as a big surprise.

Pikazilla

Pos'd.

Hour of penis suck.

October 27th 2019

I'll be waiting for your rating skele. Thanks.

This phallic demonstration of profane power should deserve your respect and admiration Pika. Thanks.

October 27th 2019

If you do it, you'll be my weekend hero ;)

I don’t dislike them Notrap

Digging: Crepuscle - Heavenly Skies

October 27th 2019

Awesome rating, the question that really matters, my friend, is what religious people think of this album.

You've always been a thoughtful captain, mate ;)

October 27th 2019

These guys are pretty fun, even if all their albums sound the same

Digging: Soda Stereo - Dynamo

October 27th 2019

Right they stick to the same formula but when I listen to them that’s what I expect.

I’m a ‘spiritual’ person but the whole lyrical themed anti religious stuff has never really bothered me. Unless someone makes unintelligent lyrics like f god this and f god that. That’s pretty stupid to me. But thoughtful lyrics no matter what they are, are never an issue for me. I appreciate all ‘thinking’ human minds.

That's the spirit Capt.

"I think they have a good blend of technicality without being to technically wanky. They still keep a heavy dm vibe."

I totally agree, the technique is just a complement, the hyperactive power is their true core.

damn I hate when I spell ‘too’ wrong

Nocte
October 27th 2019

"so it doesn't come as a big surprise"

I'm feeling just a little judged haha.

Lichtbringer
October 28th 2019

This band has been dead for a while now. Probably not even gonna bother with this.

mindleviticus
October 28th 2019

I never really got into this band but good review man, I might check it out.

October 30th 2019

Coincidentally it sounds like they kinda changed it up a bit on this, solid album for sure

October 31st 2019

Thanks mindleviticus

mindleviticus
November 1st 2019

This actually rips ngl. This is probably the best thing I've heard from them.

DDDeftoneDDD
November 6th 2019

should check X) too busy atm

Digging: Forest of Tygers - I Will Die of Violence

November 6th 2019

I don't know if it's your thing, but give it a try and tell us what you think D