Jeff Rosenstock
Thanks, Sorry!

by Sean H. USER (128 Reviews)
October 23rd, 2019 | 124 replies

Release Date: 10/18/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: DEATH ROSENSTOCK!!!!

Dizzy and nauseous, I stumbled out of the Jeff Rosenstock concert, feeling like I just threw up my soul and, well, I might as well have. I was originally there to see both Jeff and Joyce Manor, but, considering I felt like I was going to pass out, I had to leave before Joyce even got their instruments set up. This wasn’t my first concert, but I’ll be damned if it didn’t feel like a wholly unique experience. Jeff and his band of aging rockers had the energy of 18 year old punks, but playing the mature, yet universally applicable, power pop of Rosenstock’s creation. The controlled chaos was evident, the crowd was losing it, but the band still had us under their control. I must have screamed the whole time, all of us, including the band, pouring our everything into the collective energy.

Live records seem to be a contentious format. Some say that the idea is moot because they’re, more often than not, sloppier or generally weaker performances. They equate it to watching someone else go to a party and have fun. Others enjoy the live energy of a live record, savoring the subtle differences in performances and bravado. They equate it to living out a live show through the medium of headphones at a fraction of the cost. Regardless of which end you find yourself on, everyone has at least one live record they gravitate towards; even the most staunch live album denouncers acknowledge that the format can be done well. In order to really win over even the hardest of asses, a live record’s got to either perfect the songs or show them off with a unique, on the fly charisma.

Thanks, Sorry! does both - and then some.

I’ll be clear in my thoughts - Thanks, Sorry! is quite possibly the most quintessential record in Jeff Rosenstock’s solo career. It’s hardly his first near perfect record, but it’s an amazing document of both his solo career and his live ethos. Think of it as comprehensive greatest hits compilation of his most catchy, bittersweet, relatable, and beautifully ugly tracks but played with the energy and stamina of someone half his age. The D.I.Y. punk ethos that never really manifested in the power pop of Rosenstock’s full-lengths is now documented on wax in a way that’s impossible to deny. Any production woes from POST- or I Look Like Shit are alleviated, the recording here is the perfect balance of crunchy/fuzzy and smooth/clear. As a live record, the band performs all the songs in a style that updates them for the sake of cohesion.

Clocking in at over 90 minutes, Thanks, Sorry! is nothing short of an experience, much like the live shows this album serves to encapsulate. It’s an impressive feat to keep the power and vitality going for this long, especially when you’re quickly approaching your 40s like Jeff Rosenstock is. Yet, with age comes experience and Rosenstock has experience to spare when it comes to playing live. The level of influence Rosenstock has over this gigantic crowd is awe-inspiring, case in point being the fact that every damn voice in the crowd sang backup for “You, In Weird Cities.” Yet, he’s still humbled by his own flaws, we see it in the slight imperfections that make live performances so enjoyable. He still gets shocked by the way so many love his work, you can hear it in his stage banter. It’s a reminder that our D.I.Y. heroes are just regular dudes, a message that Jeff has been pushing since he started in the Arrogant Sons of Bitches.

I don’t know, maybe I’m biased. Maybe this is just another live record that captures raw vigor and adrenaline, but I fucking feel it. This record shoots me back to not only Jeff Rosenstock’s concert, but every concert I’ve ever been to. It’s an excellent compendium of the Rosenstock body of work, with songs from all his records. It’s the perfect Jeff album...

I had come with the intent to see Jeff Rosenstock play my favorite songs from WORRY. and We Cool?, so I wasn’t too bummed to be leaving before Joyce had a chance to woo me (although I still would love to be in the pit for “Leather Jacket,” but at least I beat traffic). I was sad that this great experience was in the past, to be slowly forgotten piece by piece. Maybe I’ll forget that anti-nazi shirt and the jorts Rosenstock was rocking. Maybe I’ll forget the setlist and what song I freaked out most for. But, I’ll never forget that feeling of pure excitement as I screamed the lyrics to “9/10” and “Perfect Sound Whatever.” Thanks, Sorry! wasn’t the show I was at, sure, but it’ll serve as a damn good reminder of that sweaty section of the Masquerade.