Teitanblood
The Baneful Choir

by TheNotrap USER (39 Reviews)
October 20th, 2019 | 65 replies

Release Date: 10/18/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Can you see the demon behind the choir?

Evil has always been a seductive concept for heavy metal, one need not be versed in black arts to understand the reason for this attraction, which in its substance is the denial of what is morally accepted or, if we wish, an expression of intellectual and artistic rebellion. As an agnostic, I don't believe in the Christian devil, but I do believe in evil as an abstract concept, which goes far beyond the irreverence or adolescent immaturity we see in many black metal bands. It's something inherent to all of us, eternally present, manifesting itself artistically in various styles and forms, as a constant reminder of our incessant curiosity for the occult. Spanish Teitanblood are one of these contemporary manifestations, their murky, organic, blackened death metal carries us to a dark corner of the mind, that small space that has fed artists like H.R. Giger, William Blake or Deathspell Omega, who fascinate people seeking entertainment out of the boring, tedious and ultra-realistic day by day, like myself. With three EPs and two albums under their belt, Teitanblood reaches 2019 with a short but interesting repertoire, gaining some notoriety within the European underground black metal circuit, which has embraced the band's chaotic style, and the way it combines black metal's aesthetics with death metal's density.

Although Teitanblood are often associated with bands like Blasphemy or Archgoat, the first reference that comes to mind when I hear these cursed Spaniards is early Sodom, maybe because they pioneered this more primeval approach, with deeper roots in bands such as Venom and Motorhead. This thrashy look and feel is very much present in The Baneful Choir, reaching its peak in "Verdict of the Dead", which is probably the most thrash-oriented track this band has ever released. Don't get me wrong, the band didn't put on the old In the Sign of Evil t-shirts and started doing old-school blackened thrash, but that feeling is somewhat present in the album. The Baneful Choir welcomes us in the best possible way. Rapture Below and Black Vertebrae instrumentally introduce the album quite effectively, allowing us a gradual and smooth entrance, preparing us for the nightmares that will follow, namely "Leprous Fire" and "Ungodly Others", both massive offerings that remind us of the Purging Tongues era, the latter being another fine example of the thrashier approach I mentioned earlier. It's too late to turn back, the relentless "Inhuman Utterings", and two interludes that follow, push us violently into the monolithic, minimalist title track, the album's highlight and one of the best tracks this band has ever recorded. What a massive track, my friends, an extraordinary showcase of how a single riff can feed nine minutes of music. It's now perfectly clear the band this time wanted to emphasize their death thrash side, without losing their identity. A bit like a sculptor who adds a new form to his work, without drastically changing its shape, nor the dark color of his raw material.

The Baneful Choir is yet another cursed chapter of these Spanish sinners. A tenebrous nook hidden in darkness, where the wicked manifest themselves in a choir of suffering and despair, and there are those who say if we look closely enough, we can see the devil dressed in red. But we, rational men, do not believe in these things, do we?

Lord Mantis Universal Death ChurchAbigail Williams Walk Beyond The Dark
Schammasch Hearts of No LightNile Vile Nilotic Rites
Hour of Penance MisotheismExhumed Horror

October 20th 2019

Great stuff, extreme metal lads should check this out. Title track and Verdict of the Dead are massive jams.

Full stream:

Digging: Deathspell Omega - The Furnaces of Palingenesia

October 20th 2019

First time hearing these guys and the result is very pleasing.

DDDeftoneDDD

Hum..must...check...this

Digging: Vukari - Aevum

Keyblade
October 20th 2019

The cancer that ravages the bodies of the weak from the inside. The sheets in the hospitals that can't wash out the death of the thousand hosts they've harnessed. The ruination of nations. The sepulchral monuments to which the bodies lay buried. The rituals of sacrifice. The cults of lives stolen. The genocides of peoples. The dolmens of the ancient, unheard of and enigmatic lost peoples who had succumbed to life's inevitability before our time. The confrontation of everything that has and will be drawn to an end. The breath of life given to dead bones--the learnings from those passed and the monolith of their impression. The silence, the cacophony, the burial, the pyramids, the temples, the sky and watered earth, the petrichor that rises from old graves. The nails and hair that grow long after the flesh has decayed. This is death metal. This is Death.mortui vivos docent

Azog
October 20th 2019

You just gotta love this band. Pos'd.

October 20th 2019

Thanks. Yeah, these guys are great, I dig all their stuff

October 20th 2019

First time hearing these guys and the result is very pleasing.

Digging: Varg (Swe) - Fuck Varg

osmark86

Lol @key

Digging: Bersarin Quartett - Methoden und Maschinen

DDDeftoneDDD

Awesome rev btw m/

October 20th 2019

just realised your username is missing an s

oh wait, no, it isn't

oltnasbricks

pikasillah

October 21st 2019

Also, is this the band's best album?

ok

which one's the best

October 21st 2019

listen to all of them ??

TheSpirit
October 21st 2019

a very fine album.... hoping it'll grow on me a bit.

nice dig

where’s the low end?

Digging: Crepuscle - Heavenly Skies

Thanks D.

"Also, is this the band's best album?"

It's my favorite at the moment, but Death is also great. Listen chronologically, without skipping the EPs, they're all good.