Gatecreeper
Deserted

by TheNotrap USER (32 Reviews)
October 9th, 2019 | 79 replies

Release Date: 10/04/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Let your soul boil eternally

Since I heard the single "Boiled Over", Gatecreeper's sophomore album Deserted was automatically scheduled to be one of my early October jams. To keep things simple, Arizona's death squad regurgitates an old-school style that swings between Bolt Thrower and chainsaw pioneers Entombed, while also incorporating some Celtic Frost aesthetics, which adds a particular twist to their sound. The band reaches 2019 with an album, two EP's, and several splits under their belt, establishing themselves as one of the most solid American old school death metal acts of the second half of the decade. Although I've already heard some tracks from these Arizona's creepers, it was only after "Boiled Over" came out that I was really interested in exploring the band's discography, which I found interesting and worthy of recognition by the underground OSDM community.

The first thing that stands out in Deserted is its more polished sound compared to previous releases, revealing the band aim to take a step forward, thus showing a greater maturity in its stylistic approach. This evolution, however, doesn't give up either the band's DNA or its main influences, which remain well present, but with a slightly different appearance, as a style facelift that embodies the band's aesthetics in 2019. Gatecreeper's praise for Celtic Frost is still present in songs such as "Ruthless" or "Sweltering Madness", which proudly carry the avant-garde old school spirit, yet always shaped around the band's signature, without ever being a cheap, purposeless copy paste. The Left Hand Path-esque chainsaw also remains ubiquitous, but now with a less Sunlight Studios' tone, thereby adding greater personality to its sound. The band is in its full artistic maturity, feeling broadly comfortable with its current musical signature, which explores numerous textures orbiting a common core. The stormy Slayer-esque "Puncture Wounds", and the following "From the Ashes", which features a melody reminiscent of Running Wild, are two good examples of this diversity. This kind of contrast is proof of the band's wider range. We never feel stagnation or monotony in Deserted, the songs were meticulously arranged in order to create different pulsations throughout the album. The opener title track is the first indicator of this stylistic diversity, which extends to songs such as "Everlasting", "In Chains" or "Boiled Over", which are not limited to a one-dimensional output, the latter featuring the album's most memorable riff. Despite its greater diversity, Gatecreeper's straightforward approach hasn't been disregarded, as we can hear in "Barbaric Pleasures", that mirrors an interesting simplicity and the band's concern with bridging the past. The doom signature is another constant in Deserted, a structural element present in almost every song, assigning density and atmosphere to the overall aesthetic, that is also enhanced by an excellent production, which brings out the massive rhythmic section, that sometimes sounds like a well-oiled pneumatic hammer.

Deserted is a multifaceted creature that mirrors a band at its creative peak. It's a lament that boils slowly until it's finally swallowed by time and desolation, but its echo will endure as one of the greatest death metal moments of 2019.

Exhorder Mourn the Southern SkiesBaest Venenum
Vitriol (USA) To Bathe From the Throat of CowardiceWitch Vomit Buried Deep In A Bottomless Grave
Humanity's Last Breath AbyssalSuperstition The Anatomy Of Unholy Transformation

Album is a massive jam.

Full stream: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RIDy8bGLyJM

Digging: Mortiferum - Disgorged From Psychotic Depths

October 9th 2019

good review. haven't listened to this yet, but i really liked their first album

12029 Comments

Thanks. You'll probably like this one even more. The band has matured.

Bloon
October 9th 2019

good review, wish you would've mentioned their hardcore influences - its a pretty big part of their identity

12029 Comments

Thanks. Really? The only subtle core-ish vibe I heard was on the bonus track. Everything else is very old-school metal.

oltnabrick
October 10th 2019

even better than the first album

Digging: Dark Fortress - Profane Genocidal Creations

frozencarl

it doth slappeth

Digging: Shadecrown - Riven

cvlts

Good review.

Tbh I kinda appreciate you not really mentioning the core influences, present though as they are. This is much more of a DM record ala Bolt Thrower, Entombed, etc.

Digging: Gatecreeper - Deserted

YakNips

19874 Comments

pretty hard for me to ignore the core influences here considering you can hear them in every aspect of the music, not that that’s a bad thing

flat4escanor
October 10th 2019

Gave it a spin because of your review, was not disappointed

12029 Comments

I'm glad you did it, album rules

"even better than the first album"

Agreed

suicoon

Rulez hard m/

DDDeftoneDDD

Notrap's the man!

Hard 4 here...took me a few spins and stop comparing it with other releases from the genre (murkier, groovier, filthier, flashier ones). This is very solid and with a ton of vibes here. Gonna read the rev asap

m/

Digging: Mefitis - Emberdawn

Cheers D ;)

Yeah, album's a grower. At this point, it's my favorite OSDM album of the year.

Ray91

kick ass album, agreed. Barbaric Pleasures is my jam

ChaoticVortex
October 10th 2019

Meaty, heavy as fuck, grimy. Just like how I want my old school death/doom. Great stuff.

NoHellsNoHeavens

Great review @TheNotrap.

Love this album. Been on repeat since it dropped.

Digging: Gatecreeper - Deserted

Thanks NHNH

Same here, album's addictive, isn't it?

ShadowRemains
October 11th 2019

need to give this thing a spin

DDDeftoneDDD
October 11th 2019

Sure is addictive!

If you want another addictive spin, check this year's release from Spirit Adrift. DoomHM outfit with 3 members from Gatecreeper - if you don't mind to listen this guitar player doing the vocals on a pretty flawless and kinda modern Ozzy melodic. The vocalist here do the bass there. These dudes are definitely proficient.

I have both albums on regular listen m/m/

Great rev. spinning again as we speak m/

big Pos