Shijima
World's End Relaxation

by jusplathemus USER (3 Reviews)
October 9th, 2019 | 8 replies

Release Date: 04/13/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Did I ever tell you what the definition of bedroom pop is?

Half a year ago, as I was scouring Bandcamp for new music, I came across this album under the tag called 'bedroom pop'. I've always been more well-versed in heavier genres, but lately I've come across some releases of this certain style that I've fallen passinately in love with. A style which I still fail to label properly and thus find it difficult or nearly impossible to search for similar music. The best I can do is to call it a kind of a mix of trip-hop and ambient. It mostly relies on beats, somewhat more heavily on atmosphere and it's almost always devoid of any vocals.

World End's Relaxation is one album that captures that category quite well for me, though it's also not fully representative of it. Having been lucky enough to find it just after its release in April, I've been through it more times that I can count. It was love at first listen, and that love is still burning strong. The album has lost nothing of its charm.

The 'bedroom pop' tag is quite apt, I'd say. The record is carried by lo-fi beats and a chill atmosphere with some laid-back vocals. The latter mostly sound like samples and are always perfectly complementing the given song rather than being in the forefront. And while none of the songs stand out per se, they all easily stand on their own. They are easily distinguishable from each other after a few listens, despite the album as a whole being quite consistent in all regards. Some may say this consistency can be considered a lack of variety. For me, it doesn't distract anything from the experience. Every song just fits perfectly on this album, which is certainly an achievement in and of itself in my eyes.

recommended by reviewer
Two People First Body

October 9th 2019

A (very) short write-up for one of my favourite non-metal album this year. I'm not an experienced reviewer, constructive criticism is welcome.

Album is free on their bandcamp page: https://shijimasound.bandcamp.com

Get Low
October 9th 2019

Thought this was a new World's End Girlfriend album and almost lost my shit.

October 9th 2019

Hah, sorry for the false alarm.

Archelirion
October 9th 2019

I'd say try to focus a little more on the album at points as I'd argue possibly a quarter to a third of this is made up of sentences like 'Having been lucky enough to find it just after its release in April, I've been through it more times that I can count. It was love at first listen, and that love is still burning strong. The album has lost nothing of its charm.' Honestly personal reflection is great and can be very effective, but it can be harmful if there's too much of it, especially if the review is as short as this one.

That being said, I do get a pretty solid idea of what this album is going to sound like from the review - and now, jamming the first song, my expectations were pretty much dead on. So take a pos, and keep writing :]

October 10th 2019

Thanks! You're dead on about the personal reflection. I initially had even more in the review, but I knew that this would be still plenty so I tried to cut back on it as much as I could without making it too short.

Hopelust
October 11th 2019

This sounds quite nice. A listening is required for shuuuure.

Asdfp277
October 14th 2019

i always read "bedroom pop" as "boredom pop"

October 15th 2019

Sure, it can be that sometimes.