The Eradicator
Peak Eradicator

by Constable Rashguard USER (1 Reviews)
October 6th, 2019 | 8 replies

Release Date: 10/04/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Have we just reached peak Squashcore?

If you ask Andy Slania, the vocalist and brainchild of The Eradicator, just like a tight shot to the back corner of the court, not only have we reached peak squashcore, but we've struck a winner.

For those who are unenlightened on the origin of The Eradicator will have to go back to the 90's Canadian sketch comedy show Kids in the Hall. The Eradicator was a balaclava-ski-mask wearing squash player-cum-wannabe super villain, if you want a laugh look it up on YouTube.

So what has this got to do with hardcore punk, and how did we get a new sub-genre of squashcore or squash punk?

Well, why not?

The absurdity of making squash themed hardcore punk in the style of Andrew W.K. fused with Sick Of It All, is as refreshing as it is comedic. But don't let the unique subject matter throw you off, this is, hot-balls to the walls (that's a squash pun), catchy, melodic, punk.

At times the lyrics seem ridiculous, as on the outstanding onslaught, Homesick “I'm getting homesick, I'm not on center cout, it's days and days away” but at other times the lyrics come across more personal and have numerous meanings, such as the forehand-hit single, I'mma Be Me;

“I don't feel like I'm living with the rest of society,
I won't bend to the rules of normality,
I've got my interests, I've got my living, I've got my drive, I've got my tool,
I've got no ***s to give about your opinion of me,
Because I live in the world that i want to."

The Eradicator's aggressive punk owes a lot to the energy and angry vocal delivery of Slania, who would not look out of place fronting more serious hardcore punk. On the album, guitarist Steve Maury switches bwtween catchy power pop, and melodic hardcore riffs effortlessly, whereas the bass and drumming take a backseat.

It is Slania, former member of Milwaukee's Galactic Cannibal, who is front and centre-court of The Eradicator, often performing solo during live sets, and it his passion and fandom of the Kids in the Hall skit that is the heart and soul of this project.

With Peak Eradicator, the bands second full length, there is so much to delve into. Whether it be the squash-themed lyrics, the melodic catchy songs, or the deeper meanings behind the tracks The Eradicator may have reached peak, but as long as Slania believes he is The Eradicator, than there is a lot more fun to be had. So put on your tightest short shorts. Don the wristbands and head band. Grab your racket, and get ready to beat it across your skull to The Eradicator.

4.8

October 6th 2019

First review, what's with all the question marks and asterisk

Digging: The Dead Love - The Extinction of Unicorns

October 6th 2019

Why can't i get rid of the ? And the *?????

neekafat
October 7th 2019

holy shitballs this site is fucked

Pikazilla

MY EYES

October 7th 2019

Help me fix it, u bastards

October 7th 2019

Hey, so I rewrote it, and it reads better now. Please give me feedback on the finished product. And yeah, listen to the album, it slaps balls against the walls.

dmathias52
October 7th 2019

Damn, sorry I was too late to witness the original chaos lol. But you wrote it! And I think did it justice, especially in explaining what the hell Squash-Core is. I would say the main thing is just to check some proof-reading. First paragraph is missing a period at the end and the second one has two. Just small fixes like that can be really useful. Also just check formatting. Like I think those first three paragraphs could be combined into one and it would read a little better. I really enjoy how this reads in your voice though, a fun review and a lot of squash puns lol
Gave this a listen and really enjoyed it, going back in for a second one later! Good workout music, even if I don't play squash

Digging: Bayside - Interrobang

October 7th 2019

Thanks DM. I fixed a couple of the points you made.

Yeah the album gets you pumped big time.