Spotlights
Love and Decay

by America's Favorite Hemophobe! ♦ USER (5 Reviews)
October 4th, 2019 | 18 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Spotlights release an album of brutally subtle intensity, dragging you along for a ride of heavy riffs and haunting shoegaze distortion.

Brought forth as the brainchild of a married team, Mario and Sarah Quintero, Spotlights now continues with three (including drummer Chris Enriquez) when performing live. Their third full-length album, Love & Decay will undoubtedly, albeit gently, melt your ****ing face off. It's a living, breathing, fading sound of intensely atmospheric, alternative sludge. It's a warm blanket of shoegaze cozying around a fox while the fox gnaws its own leg out of a hunter's trap.

"Continue the Capsize" opens the album slow and heavy, giving you a good impression of what to expect for the entirety of the experience. I couldn't find lyrics anywhere, but no matter. I'll make something up for you. "Continue the Capsize" centers around an ancient ghost ship that breaks down 12 minutes after midnight. For eleven hours straight, it's been driving down a highway that slowly turns into a gravel road, then into a dirt path. Now it's the middle of the forest in a deep, hazy fog, with condensation dripping off the ship's alternator motor thing. As smoke lifts from the engine, a genie appears from the swirling gaseous oils and clouds of burnt plank wood. He grants you seven more songs as wishes, which brings us to "The Particle Noise", track 2 on the album.

"The Particle Noise" picks up where the album left off. And let's be real here, the whole album has the same feel. Mario and Sarah are both credited as vocalists, but only one voice can be recognized on the album: the unassuming, haunting vocals of who I'm assuming is Mario. His voice pushes along in stride, in the unusually few (but not rare) moments where present, just below the looming instrumentals of heavy, slow riffs. The downplay of the vocals seems very formulaic of most shoegaze, similar to forefathers My Bloody Valentine.

Love & Decay continues along with the same brutally subtle intensity, letting you swim up from its depths only long enough to give you exactly enough air to breathe through the rest of the album. And it's exactly what you need, to soundtrack your life, if you feel like a ball and chain has been holding you back all week. It's a heavy reprieve from stress, a dip in the hot tub, and the kind I crave when life is "can't even" and the universe seems confused by my own part in it.

There isn't really a highlight track, but if I'm awarding the mandatory trophy, I'd give the "spotlight" to track 6, "The Age of Decay". The sludgy riffs have a bit of an old-school Isis feel, which grooves just fine for me.

No work necessary, this album will drag you along for the ride. Even with its singular style and feel throughout the entire album, its rhythm and volume will bring you to new places in a way where you'll forget how you got there, like the ebb and flow of a Mono album.

Spotlights have created a work of art worthy of being placed above the mantel, one to get lost staring into during the crackle of the fire.

October 4th 2019

My first review. How do I edit this even?

Yo, welcome to hell.

To edit your reviews look up left, click on "My Profile", then also up left click on "Edit My Uploaded Reviews/Albums", then choose your review from the right.

Nice first review, little bit too heavy on "shits" and "fucks" and some of the facts you are not sure you could have googled them so when you write them, the reader realizes you have made your homework.

But your writing style is pretty good dude, keep it up.

Also "[L]My Bloody Valentine[/]" tag mess there, if you want italics go for "i" and "/i" between brackets.

Digging: Pom Poko - Cheater

October 4th 2019

Thanks for the help! Yeah, I wanted to edit the My Bloody Valentine thing, so thanks for that. I appreciate the feedback on the review itself.

October 4th 2019

Anytime man, looking forward to your future write-ups!

About the album, I jammed the one before this, but haven't got to this one yet, gotta check it out.

Nocte

Nice first review by all means. Agreed with Dewi's points here but I might add:

Give it a ***ing listen. Don't be a baby.

Lines like these are cringed at. Not only do people not like getting told what to do, but this defines needless. People should be able to determine whether they want to listen to an album based on the context of the review alone.

October 4th 2019

It was meant to be a humorous closer, but I see the different perspective from a reader's viewpoint. Lemme fix things up a bit.

love this album

October 5th 2019

Probably my AOTY. Thanks for the review.

Digging: Coldbones - The Cataclysm

October 25th 2019

It definitely sounds heavier than the last one, holy crap.

October 25th 2019

Check their AudioTree session. You will understand.

chug73
October 30th 2019

yee I like this

RogueNine
January 23rd 2020

Glad I gave this a shot. It's like....soooo much better than their previous stuff.

April 5th 2020

Better than their newer a bit now too.

April 5th 2020

oh dope i didnt know they had a new ep out. jammin’ today

RogueNine
July 9th 2020

Guh this is just so good. Far From Falling breaks down the door and rest of the album follows.

September 28th 2020

Listening again today. Amazing stuff. You can hear the Hum influence. Love it.

Rowhaus