Foxhall

by BlushfulHippocrene STAFF
September 15th, 2019 | 13 replies

Release Date: 09/08/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Life-affirming as an aesthetic

I’m sure there’s a technical definition of the word soundscape. (Sound as escape? A landscape of sound?) Bit of a pretense, though, isn’t it, more a qualitative judgement – how immersive? – than an accurate depiction of sound. Whatever the case, I think Shoreside is – or has – it: the feeling of escape, the sense of solace; the affirmation of self so seldom got it’s a surprise to find it still exists – is possible at all.

Even divorced from context – the project is, I believe, Foxhall’s first – the fact is that Shoreside is a bit of an overachievement. “Albatross” in particular calls to mind a number of bigger artists, from the likes of Car Seat Headrest and Julien Baker to M83 and The National. Less so in musical (or, I suppose I mean, technical) competence, and more so sonic and emotional resonance. But the point stands: Shoreside, in flirting with something far greater, conjures that something and twiddles in its grasp; is so close to capturing it I find it hard to believe this is a debut.

What I love about “Flood” – the amplification of simple sentiments via grand, romantic proclamation – I don’t care for in “Trees”. (‘If a tree fell in the universe tonight’ is charming at first, though, I think, fails to justify its repetititon.) But the song is, nevertheless, a contradiction that works. Inflating what appears to be moments of (logical, if not emotional) insignificance – a touch of the arm, a sudden retraction – its impact is much bigger than its simple (indie-folk) writing and Sufjanesque flourishes.

At its core, there’s something overwhelmingly beautiful about Shoreside, something easily identifiable, and yet oh-so hard to describe. Equal parts sound as escape and landscape of sound, Foxhall’s first is sure in its resonance and confident in its brevity.

Rich People HarmonyEmily Keener I Do Not Have To Be Good
The Smith Street Band Don't Waste Your Angerclipping. There Existed an Addiction to Blood
Chance the Rapper The Big DayInjury Reserve Injury Reserve
3.2
good

BlushfulHippocrene
September 15th 2019

Summary borrowed (stolen) from Lucid. (I hope he doesn't mind.) Can listen here: https://foxhall.bandcamp.com/album/shoreside

September 15th 2019

oh my god blush i wasnt expecting this!!! thank u so much

McTime50

nice

JohnnyoftheWell
September 15th 2019

Hahaha gotta be careful what you say in the Gang of Youths thread

This feels like the Sput version of a review haiku and I'm very much on board with it

Digging: ZOMBIE-CHANG - TAKE ME AWAY FROM TOKYO

WatchItExplode
September 15th 2019

Teach me your ways Blush. Musical contemplations are infinitely more enjoyable than technical reviews imo.

ZippaThaRippa
September 15th 2019

mean, denigratory comment about something you worked hard on

September 16th 2019

ty

September 16th 2019

record is cool y

September 23rd 2019

When are you gonna put it on streaming services? I see you have Trees on Google Play, but nothing else

this gets up on streaming this thursday the 26th

Awesome!

EclipseInYourEyes
October 16th 2019

yo rigma I hope it's okay that I included this in a list in which I try to gather music projects by sputnik users

Digging: Agnes Obel - Aventine