Bomb the Music Industry!
To Leave or Die in Long Island

by Sean H. CONTRIBUTOR (121 Reviews)
September 9th, 2019 | 23 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 24 minutes to save Long Island.

I don’t fucking remember Long Island. I lived there for the first six years of my life. I was too young to understand my family’s turmoil that would eventually lead to my Dad dragging us to Georgia in the search for a new job. I was too young to understand why my brother hated my Dad, why we could only rollerskate in the house when he wasn’t home, why my mom would seem extremely anxious - as if the world rested on her shoulders (it might as well have), why we had to move to a state I’d never even heard of. Even today, I still can’t relate to a lot of Jeff Rosenstock’s lyrics. I’m petrified of alcohol, I’ve never been drunk, I’ve never been fired from a job, I’ve only been to a handful of hardcore shows. Yet, there’s so much in his work that I can relate to - I have a tendency to overthink my relationships with others, I know the feeling of a panic attack, I’m afraid of dying and/or losing everyone close to me, and - maybe most importantly - I want to be happy, even if I’m not all the time.

“Happy Anterrabae Day” is a tune that gleams with agitation and anxiety - pleading for violent mob mentality to take a break for the duration of a hardcore show. It’s an exhausting start to a record I’ve heard plenty of times at this point. Maybe I’ve listened to Adults… more, but I think I’ve felt something different with To Leave or Die in Long Island. A connection that reminds me of my connection to AJJ’s The Bible 2 or Ween’s Quebec. It’s a record that covers a lot of ground in a mere 24 minutes. From the neck breaking pace of “Showerbeers!” and “Congratulations, John, On Joining Every Time I Die!” to the slower, yet still burningly passionate, “Stand There Until You’re Sober,” and “Bomb The Music Industry! (And Action Action) (And Refused) (And Born Against) Are Fucking Dead!,” Bomb The Music Industry don’t waste a single second of runtime, even with samples from The Spongebob Squarepants Movie and The Office finding their way before tracks.

And, while the songs seem to be about very specific things, they cover entirely universal themes. No, I’ve never been in a band where a member almost moved onto bigger things (like on “Congratulations, John, On Joining Every Time I Die!”), but I have worried that new opportunities would come in the way of my friends and I - even if those opportunities were huge for us (college, new relationships, et cetera). I’ve never been in a situation where I can’t get drunk no matter what I try (“Stand There Until You’re Sober,”), yet I often wonder what my funeral will be like and I dwell on past and future sadnesses more than I’d like to admit. I sure as hell can’t grow a beard (“Brian Wilson Says SMiLE A.K.A. Beard of Defiance”), but we’ve all felt like we want and should be defying some kind of force bigger than us. That’s why so many follow Rosenstock's often too personal stories - we can all see parts of our own human condition in his intimate stories.

So, no I don’t remember Long Island, even if that’s where I was born. It’s sure as hell different to Georgia, no matter how you cut it. I do remember the sting of rejection and failure, though. I remember my dad getting laid off like he didn’t fucking matter, leading him to a low point that still seems to haunt him. I remember feeling powerless and insignificant just because I’m a dumb kid. I remember feeling like I was at rock bottom, but I also remember feeling life was going to get better.

To Leave or Die’s crowning jewel is it’s triumphant closer, “Syke! Life is Awesome!;” a powerful acclamation of hope and accomplishing one’s dreams. It’s a perfectly inspiring song that stands out as a highpoint in Bomb The Music Industry!’s long, legendary career. It’s about finding yourself, after years of hard work and depression, among friends and personal achievement. It shows the weird progression of life and how one thing leads to another, slowly building up who we are. Jeff’s progression to his place in punk rock is detailed, it’s the story of how heart break and trials can be overcome. It’s a powerful ending, showing that, while he can’t change Long Island as a whole, he can change his “Long Island,” his everything. Maybe we can too.

“I realized sometimes things are great…”

Grim (JPN) Lunatic HouseWeezer Pinkerton
Weezer WeezerThe Austerity Program Bible Songs 1
Jack Stauber MicropopThe Homopolice Fuck Entertainment
Green Baron (4)
I'd leave if I were you....

Zmev (4)
Perhaps being one of the last true D.I.Y. bands, Bomb The Music Industry craft a fast and loud punk ...

Bloon

legal download: https://quoteunquoterecords.com/qur004.htm

writing this made me feel a lot better

Digging: Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb

blastOFFitsPARTYtime
September 9th 2019

Love this. And the album.

kris.
September 9th 2019

that last paragraph is so lovely

syke is the greatest song ever written don't @ me

Syke is the gospel

Digging: Daniel Johnston - Songs of Pain

Pikazilla

Bomb Jeff Rosenstock

Darius the Great

20834 Comments

this is a well written piece my guy have a pos in my heart

BlushfulHippocrene
September 10th 2019

...this review is a bit good. Seriously great. Well done, dude. There are a couple typos, but they don't really matter and kinda work, weirdly, (but I'll point them out if you care about edits).

Digging: Ruston Kelly - Dying Star

DeadBitchAlexis

2033 Comments

Appreciate how personal the review is. Never bedn mich for Ska influenced stuff but ive had these guys on my radar for a long time and needa get onto them.

clavier
September 10th 2019

really good stuff bloon, I very much enjoyed reading this

Digging: Seizures - Reverie of the Revolving Diamond

Hendoi

this brings back memories

Digging: The Clash - Franklin

Bloon
September 10th 2019

@blush lemme know what i missed plz

Kompys2000
September 10th 2019

Bloon really out here earning that contrib tag in 2019. Great review as always, I've wanted to check early BTMI for a while since their later stuff slaps my whole shit and this might just be the push I need.

kris.
September 10th 2019

early BTMI is a lot different from later BTMI so be prepared for some weirdness

ian b
September 10th 2019

i know i say this pretty often, but this genuinely might be my favorite review of your’s. incredible work, and that last paragraph is very touching. really inspirational and genuinely well-written personal review man, hardest ghost pos

Digging: Lil Peep and Lil Tracy - Castles II

SandwichBubble
September 10th 2019

Long Island, aka the best island.

Nassau County, aka the best county.

Even bands like BtMI get a pass cause they're from the island.

Digging: A Witness - Red Snake

Kompys2000

Duly noted kris

TheSpirit
September 10th 2019

Bloon I love you and this review

Digging: Arnaut Pavle - Arnaut Pavle

Fucking love this review

Digging: Blood Cultures - Oh Uncertainty! A Universe Despairs

blastOFFitsPARTYtime
September 12th 2019

All their vinyls are back up on Asian Man btw team