Cloudkicker

poor

by Simon STAFF
August 25th, 2019 | 38 replies

Release Date: 08/15/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A shallow return.

For an instrumental album, there’s a certain level of skill involved that extends beyond the typical difficulty parameters of your conventional record with vocals. Whether you’ve sat and thought about it before today or not, vocals lift a substantial amount of the work load for an album – case in point: when you’re making an instrumental album, you better damn well make sure your compositions are above and beyond solid standards. And the thing is, Cloudkicker has always delivered in that regard many times before. With that said, unfortunately, recent years have seen a pretty drastic decline in quality for Cloudkicker’s music; the biggest problem being that the ideas conveyed in both 2015’s Woum and this LP feel fundamentally underwhelming. In fact, Unending actually takes the underwhelming aspect to a whole new level here – basically consisting of 4 half-baked metal tracks and 3 fatuous ambient pieces written as though they never had a particular purpose, but were used because they were sitting in the demo vault and would pad out the record’s run time nicely. I mean seriously, “Night” is essentially a 2-and-a-half-minute intro track that goes absolutely nowhere and does very little to set up “Xaoc” in any way.

Even the main attraction tracks fail to spark even a morsel of the engagement given from a song like “We’re Goin’ In. We’re Goin’ Down.”. The likes of “Blackwing” just sounds like a B-side which came from the Fade era of Cloudkicker, before anticlimactically grinding to a halt because it didn’t know how to finish up. It’s an incessant theme that runs throughout Unending, and for every dull interlude like “AR-Lp 36” lies an underdeveloped “YHWH” with a deflated conclusion. It’s honestly a far cry to the high standards his first 5 LPs hit – LPs that were all sonically distinct and unique from one another, but maintained your attention because of it – but it’s made that much worse when this makes Woum look good. The bottom line here is that Cloudkicker’s 7th album feels half cooked at best and is lacking in all the unique characteristics that made his widely regarded albums so fun to listen to in the first place.

FORMAT//EDITIONS: DIGITAL

Hans Zimmer Man of SteelSlipknot We Are Not Your Kind

luci

yet the average is 3.8? i guess prog fans don't have standards

August 25th 2019

or i dont? lol i'll let you decide

Digging: Chelsea Wolfe - Birth of Violence

August 25th 2019

in all seriousness though, this is vapid work

insomniac15
August 25th 2019

Awww, but this is a good album

Digging: 65daysofstatic - replicr, 2019

Sorry ins < / 3

MO
August 25th 2019

I think there's a bit more here than you're letting on. It's a solid release but definitely missing those OH SHIT moments

insomniac15
August 25th 2019

I agree it's nothing groundbreaking, but I listened to it 5 times in the first couple of days. It's short and catchy, very easy to sit through. I see ~30 min albums are becoming trendy.

August 25th 2019

Don’t hear it sorry guys. Just sounds like a collection of fragmented ideas to me

Pikazilla
August 25th 2019

Just sounds like a collection of fragmented ideas to me

As does all his stuff, really

RogueNine
August 25th 2019

Can definitely see where you're coming from.

Ecnalzen
August 25th 2019

Gonna try this again but I wasn't into it first time around. I typically dig his stuff, too.

August 25th 2019

Guy's always been a hit or miss for me

Digging: Orphaned Land - El Norra Alila

Ecnalzen
August 25th 2019

The only LP I haven't cared for so far was Woum. Hopefully, I won't add another to that.

YakNips

19860 Comments

review is half-baked tbqh imho

Mongi123

20546 Comments

It’s actually unbelievable that the average is as good as it is right now. He really went from an extremely talented artist to average quickly.

zaruyache
August 26th 2019

believe he had writer's block problems that contributed to the big gap between albums.

AtomicWaste

2? You're mad

Digging: The Comet Is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of Deep Mystery

mifzal

Boo you all this rules

Scoot

19487 Comments

his peak was beacons, there is no disputing it

feels like he got to a plateau and there was nowhere else to go with that sound, so he started experimenting for the worse

but everything he’s done save for loop and woum has been at least a 3.5

deezer666
August 26th 2019

so he started experimenting for the worse'

hahah not in the slightest. LYBH and Subsume are absolutely stellar