Shura

4.3

by SowingSeason STAFF
August 17th, 2019 | 28 replies

Release Date: 08/16/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: “That’s me, just a sweet melody”

Shura’s sophomore LP forevher is a major evolution in style and sound. Her 2016 debut was a quality – but routine – exercise in indie-pop; this however is a surreal, electronically flourishing pop tour de force. The entire experience breathes easier and feels like it’s ready to hit the club. Whether it’s the sexy groove and sugary melody of ‘side effects’ or the way that ‘BKLYNLDN’ floats in ecstasy atop experimental synths, Shura sounds like she’s no longer grounded in reality.

There’s a reason for that; Aleksandra Denton (Shura is merely her stage name) spent the time between Nothing’s Real and forevher falling in love via a long distance, transatlantic relationship that consisted primarily of Skype/iMessage communications. Everything about her music now reflects that period of time in her life, from the autotune filters and digitized production to fluttering, romantic strings. forevher is an emotional and artistic burgeoning that sees Denton craft her most free-flowing piece to date. It’s closer to Robyn’s Honey than whatever indie umbrella she used to reside beneath.

On the record’s opener Shura sings, “that’s me, just a sweet melody”, and in a strange sense it feels like forevher’s overture. There’s a simplicity to this album that would perhaps leave a void if it weren’t so satisfyingly melodic – with hooks dug so deep into every tune that it’s impossible not to sway along. That head-over-heels aura of falling in love is made all the more infectious on truly sensual neo-soul/R&B tracks like ‘religion’ and ‘control’, both of which detail Denton’s queer sexual encounters with her lover. Being in a same-sex relationship in 2019 can involve its fair share of complications, but Shura keeps things light and breezy throughout. This results in some lyrical clichés, but it’s nothing that can’t be forgiven in the sensationalized, neon lights of the dancefloor.

forevher is a supremely catchy, slightly experimental (the horn sections in ‘princess leia’ couldn’t go unmentioned), but chiefly fun pop record that implements plenty of ideas that are completely new to Shura’s arsenal. It’s an album to soundtrack your nightlife, from the bars and clubs to gazing across the room at the man or woman you secretly love. The record ebbs and flows in tempo, from the seductively pulsing ‘side effects’ to the experience’s more contemplative midsection – with songs like ‘tommy’ and ‘flyin’ adding a dose of introspection. Everything here feels unweighted, buoyant…part of a rhythmic give and take… that’s forevher, an album all about the lust, love, and effortless flow. With a sound this infectious and spellbinding, Shura has undoubtedly found her calling.

Green Day American IdiotWe Are Only Human Once The Prettiest Boys in Town
Pete Yorn CaretakersMarika Hackman Any Human Friend
The Harmaleighs She Won't Make SenseLICK Dark Vibe Order

32075 Comments

Women in pop/indie have been killing it this summer. Clairo, The Harmaleighs, Marika Hackman, now this. This gets the same score as Clairo and Hackman from me, although I could see it rising above all 3 to become my favorite album of this genre/style from this year.

Digging: Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell

Slex
August 17th 2019

Excited to give this a listen, will Czech the review more thoroughly soon but damn yr killing it yrself this summer

Digging: Blood Cultures - Oh Uncertainty! A Universe Despairs

Ashtiel
August 17th 2019

never listened to Shura's debut but had it on the backlog forever...did decide to peep the singles on this and they're absolutely lovely. listening to the full album rn

Digging: Blood Cultures - Happy Birthday

August 17th 2019

more sophisti-pop than i expected, she's def setting herself apart. the atmosphere is convincing but I don't find it compelling yet

August 17th 2019

side effects is awesome. hoping the rest is as good

August 17th 2019

it should be noted that luci recommended this to me. i did not get this rec from you, sowing. just had to clarify that in case people get the wrong idea

32075 Comments

Oh my, what would people think???

August 17th 2019

almost as romantic as copeland's blushing!

BrushedRed

I love this

Lord(e)Po)))ts
August 18th 2019

Nice dude her last one had a couple ok songs u should heck new evan geesman

Digging: Louis Cole - Time

Chambered79

Yo i dig this

32075 Comments

Yeah this is definitely a slight cut above most of the other great indie-pop releases of the summer thus far (Clairo, Harmaleighs, Hackman) if for no other reason because it's so damn catchy and dynamic.

August 19th 2019

i don’t find this very catchy, only “religion” gets stuck in my head

Lucman
August 19th 2019

I really, really like the sound of this record. The Stage alone has a real intoxicating atmosphere.

Digging: Courtney Swain - Between Blood and Ocean

Lucman
August 19th 2019

Alright, yep, this is the pop album to best for me this year.

GPooch21
August 19th 2019

this is actually hot fire

August 20th 2019

32075 Comments

damn this is so good. might bump to 4.5.

Demon of the Fall
August 20th 2019

I like this, checked it for the electronic tag and although it's poppier than what I'd normally go for, it has a certain charm. I'm happy enough to keep it in my rotation moving forward.

Digging: Cara Neir - Part III / Part IV

August 21st 2019

feel like i'm missing something here, i don't like her voice at all

August 21st 2019

32075 Comments

Her voice is different. I like it but I'm in love with the production.