The Harmaleighs

by SowingSeason STAFF
August 5th, 2019 | 20 replies

Release Date: 08/02/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Social anxiety has never sounded so good

The Harmaleighs’ She Won’t Make Sense is indie folk/rock with a wry, self-aware smirk. There’s no shortage of irony with this duo, consisting of Haley Grant and Kaylee Jasperson, as they sing about social paralysis atop harmonic, upbeat folk-pop and soft, fuzzy west coast guitar rock. While the music sounds lazed and content, the lyrics are running wild – channeling the inner monologues of a constantly apprehensive introvert. What are we gonna talk about, what if I can’t move my mouth / Oh what to say, my mind’s producing its own rain are hardly the kind of verses that one would suspect would be paired with lead single ‘Sorry, I’m Busy’ – which features a far sunnier musical disposition. The bouncy, melodic verses of ‘Moving My Body’ wouldn’t necessarily lend themselves to lyrics about feeling constrained by external stressors: My hands are tied up and I’m shaking…your voice and your words are restricting, I feel like I’m in a corset. Even the jaw-droppingly gorgeous dual vocals on ‘Mannequin’ allude to isolation: I see outside, it sure looks nice / But not nearly as nice as the inside…I’m a mannequin. That’s the nature of She Won’t Make Sense though, an album that takes the panicked internal conflicts of a social misfit and projects them onto carefree, lighthearted surfaces.

The album is a bit of a departure from The Harmaleighs’ 2015 debut, Pretty Picture, Dirty Brush, which focused intently on the project’s folk leanings. Here, everything feels a bit more fleshed out – the guitars buzz instead of limiting themselves to gentle strums and timid picks, and the drums/vocals/mixing all feel more dynamic and indie-rock oriented. This could be a turn-off for fans of their bohemian folk roots, as some of the melodies and hooks aren’t quite as sticky, but it’s for the most part a worthwhile tradeoff as She Won’t Make Sense feels like a more energized, invigorating experience. Album highlight ‘Dim the Light’, for example – with its percussively driven chorus and erupting harmonies – never would have found a place on the band’s debut, proof that The Harmaleighs are progressing in a way that works for their current vision as well as their future. For the folk purist in us all, however, there’s still gorgeous gems like the sweet, vocal-centric ‘I Don’t Know Myself’ – the album’s thematic arc with regards to self-alienation – sprinkled throughout. She Won’t Make Sense is a generous blend of styles, and a very graceful stepping stone to the next chapter in this duo’s career.

s
Hayley Williams Petals For Armor IGreen Day Father of All Motherfuckers
Loving If I Am Only My ThoughtsEthan Gruska En Garde
Termination Dust Growing DownBonny Light Horseman Bonny Light Horseman

August 5th 2019

I don't think I've ever written this many reviews in such a short period of time, but it's been a heck of a week for good-to-great albums coming out of nowhere.

This is just a brief piece for an album that has been really overlooked.

Digging: Tame Impala - The Slow Rush

Slex

Still gotta check this

Digging: King Krule - Man Alive!

Nocte
August 6th 2019

Saw the summary, instantly knew it was Sowing-core. Stop being so productive man.

Digging: Sutrah (CAN) - Aletheia

luci
August 6th 2019

you're averaging one review per day in august lol
i'll check the singles and see if it's my thing

August 6th 2019

There isn't a tracklist for this (would add one but not sure I can).

I'm really enjoying this so far, it's good indie stuff.

Added the tracklist.

Glad you're enjoying this!

Disorderly
August 6th 2019

Thank you for bringing this to my attention Sowing, it really hit the spot

August 6th 2019

Okay, can officially say this is a very, very good album! I think I might be listening to this a lot, a lot of good things here. I especially like 'Sorry, I'm busy', 'Mannequin', and the finale (that hits really hard).

For an album with a lot of talk about anxiety and stuff, it's not that depressing, which I was kinda expecting.

Gonna have to listen to their debut soon, but I'll give this a little more time to settle in.

Thanks for giving this a review, though, Sowing. Would've completely missed it otherwise.

August 6th 2019

There is, however, something a bit overpowering about the bass, think it could've done with toning down a bit. Only negative I can think of.

August 6th 2019

Yeah I might give this a little bit of a bump. Either that or drop Clairo a couple decimal points, because this is better (even though they're not directly comparable styles).

ProjectFreak
August 7th 2019

Really wasn't into the opener, but glad I stuck around -- there's some good stuff here! Kinda reminds me of a more folksy Illuminati Hotties.

neekafat
August 7th 2019

is this another @neeka album?

August 7th 2019

I feel like it could be. It's like fringe neeka/klap-core. Indie folk-rock with really poppy hooks. If you're intrigued I'd just check it.

It's also worth mentioning that this album takes some time to get going. First half is a 3.5 at best, second half elevates it.

neekafat
August 7th 2019

Gotcha, I'll have to give it a spin!

BlushfulHippocrene
August 7th 2019

Aaa, Sorry I'm Busy has been on repeat the last couple days. So good.

TheSupernatural
August 16th 2019

2062 Comments

This is exactly what I want out of folksy lofi indie rock. Love it!

Dewinged
August 18th 2019

Sorry, I'm busy is pretty good, then Talk follows up and kills the mood, then the next track picks up a bit again and then back to bland for a while.

Ok album I guess.

Digging: Post Animal - Forward Motion Godyssey

August 18th 2019

Best part of the album is the second half Dewi! Mannequin and onward is particularly good.

Dewinged
August 18th 2019

Yeah I heard the whole thing. Had the same feels ng that with First Aid Kit last year. It's pleasant but it won't make it to top 100 this year.

TheSupernatural
November 5th 2019

2062 Comments

This has been my go-to chill album for the last few months. Definitely gonna be up there for AOTY