Follakzoid
I

by Raul Stanciu STAFF
August 4th, 2019 | 14 replies

Release Date: 08/01/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A psychedelic blend of krautrock and minimal electronic music…

Follakzoid have embarked on a quest to deconstruct their sound in order to capture an intensely psychedelic atmosphere with fewer sonic elements lately. The Chilean act stripped the acid rock guitars from the first couple of records, keeping only delayed, droning leads on 2015's III, while the drums have been reduced to deep kick and faint snare beats. On the other hand, the band pushed the electronic parts up front, albeit in the same minimal fashion. This latest project, I feels like a restart (hence the title), shedding the effects-laden guitar and insisting on various airy or abstract synths. The hour-long journey relies on a trance inducing repetition for you to immerse yourself in. Its hallucinatory rhythms feature very slight changes stretched over several minutes. The tracks have been arranged more or less akin to a puzzle, using dozens of recorded sounds and the result really takes the psychedelia to the next level for them. Numerous parts are intertwining along the way, so you can’t really tell if you heard a certain fragment already, because every sound is gradually altered once introduced. ‘IIII’ might be the most accessible song, since it can be viewed as a climax. The throbbing synths in the background are rushed by a motorik beat, whereas the pulsing bass is topped by guitar scratching noises as well as multiple glitchy bits. Towards the end, the tune transitions from krautrock/drone to an electronic piece that could very well be taken from a minimal techno mix. Overall, I is an interesting record, mainly due to Follakzoid’s uncompromising efforts to cross boundaries between electronic music and psychedelia. Nevertheless, it might be too much to take in in one setting, unless you really are in the mood or on drugs to drift away while listening.

Bomg PeregrinationYuri Gagarin The Outskirts of Reality
Pet Shop Boys HotspotNo-Man Love You to Bits
Hammock SilenciaMark Lanegan Somebody's Knocking

August 4th 2019

Cool album, although I wish it was more diverse.

Stream/buy here - http://follakzoid.bandcamp.com/album/i

Digging: Yuri Gagarin - The Outskirts of Reality

August 4th 2019

Summary certainly piqued my interest. I'll check this!

zaruyache

21914 Comments

*crashes through the ceiling*

sssssomebody ssssay krautrock?!

AnimalsAsSummit
August 5th 2019

hardly krautrock imo, but still one of the better things i've heard this year. sounds like most dub techno out there, but its a welcome surprise from the usual stuff on here. a very good album with nice long songs to get lost in. i'm seeing a solid 4 with this.

Digging: Walrus - Hikari no Kakera

August 5th 2019

Yes, the band steered from krautrock elements to minimal electronic music here. It's like Neu! found dub techno these days.

Blizzink
August 5th 2019

I worked a show they played where they went way over time, which would have been more reasonable had they played more than a few notes for the first twenty minutes or so

August 5th 2019

I saw they kind of stretch that one or two songs a lot lately. At a festival in France I saw they played 'Electric' off III for almost one hour haha.

Travelhead
August 8th 2019

When I listen to this album, I kinda sense that it creates a form of dark energy and you focus on it in your mind constantly.

naughtcturnal
August 9th 2019

Good review, got me interested.

Album is super cool lol

Let
August 11th 2019

Pretty cool, reminds me a bit of Vatican Shadow

Dewinged
August 18th 2019

Good review Raul, jamming this now. It's certainly interesting so far, running out of opium quickly though.

Digging: Post Animal - Forward Motion Godyssey

naughtcturnal
August 29th 2019

this is some good-ass background/work music

September 4th 2019

This is great so far! Really lovely record.

September 4th 2019

Reminds me of The Field sometimes. Which is great of course.