clairo

by SowingSeason STAFF
August 2nd, 2019 | 125 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: a taut rope

In listening to Clairo’s Immunity, it’s clear that she’s come a long way from the timid and coarsely produced bedroom pop of metal heart. That’s to be expected; while it was technically her official debut, it was also created at the age of fifteen. Immunity sounds the part of a woman now across the threshold of her twenties: it’s deep in thought, full of confidence, and also a little confused at times. Claire Cottrill came out as openly bisexual in 2018, and a lot of these tracks seem to deal with her slowly coming to that realization, as well as the satisfaction of finally admitting it to herself. One can envision her reasoning the whole process out in her head on the soft-rock of ‘Sofia’, where she ponders, “know that you and I shouldn't feel like a crime, I think we could do it if we tried” before ultimately reaching a personal revelation, “you know I'll do anything you ask me to / but, oh my God, I think I'm in love with you.” A lot of these songs gradually unveil stories within themselves, as Claire chips away at her own insecurities while pursuing her true identity. It’s a totally honest and organic evolution that we can witness firsthand.

Immunity keeps the lights dimmed and the energy restrained. It’s appropriate, because so much of the record’s focus is on holding back – whether it’s Claire doubting her sexuality on ‘North’ (“touching me, hands warm on my thigh / and I know I could turn a blind eye, afraid of what I'm gonna find”) or ‘Impossible’ resisting the temptation to reunite with a past partner. Immunity has the audible consistency of a taut rope – it’s constantly on edge, always in one’s head, yet it never quite snaps. That’s Clairo’s magnetism; this persistent tension that keeps us invested for the duration of her story. Layered over trickling beats and light guitar fuzz, it’s a confessional atmosphere that feels remarkably intimate.

The centerpiece of the album is Claire’s voice, and rightfully so. Her delivery is relatively candid, but it also possesses a warmth that echoes within the atmospheric lounge-pop surrounding her. Cottrill’s vocals resemble a more elegiac Swift, or perhaps a more pedestrian Bridgers. There’s something to be said for that middle ground, as she consistently settles into a sweet spot between wistful indie-pop and more accessible, uplifting melodies. The album’s first half possesses most of her hooks, but the more exploratory latter portion is where her voice shines the brightest – such as on the towering, children’s choir-accompanied curtain call ‘I Wouldn’t Ask You.’ Clairo has always had a voice capable of reaching the masses, but it’s never quite taken shape to the extent that it does on Immunity.

For all intents and purposes Clairo’s debut album, Immunity proves to be everything that people who’ve watched her ascent could hope for. She has set the stage to dominate her own slice of the forlorn indie-pop niche, alongside peers like Baker, Heynderickx, and Soccery Mommy. That isn’t to say that she’s quite on that level yet, but there’s nothing here to suggest that she isn’t capable of adding a few experimental wrinkles to her sound over the next few years while establishing an even more distinct musical identity. If that’s your kind of scene, then Clairo is your girl – and she’s well on her way to coming into her own.

Shura forevherWe Are Only Human Once The Prettiest Boys in Town
Pete Yorn CaretakersMarika Hackman Any Human Friend
The Harmaleighs She Won't Make SenseLICK Dark Vibe Order
3.2
good

31922 Comments

Didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did (surprise, surprise - another excitable sowing 4.0+). Alewife, North, Bags, Sofia, and I Wouldn't Ask You are my favorite songs from this so far.

Also, @neekafat

Digging: Off With Their Heads - Be Good

brainmelter
August 2nd 2019

whoa a clairo review and a staff one at that

Digging: nabosoposkle - s/t

31922 Comments

Shouldn't be too surprising, this was covered by P4K as well.

iglu

meh

31922 Comments

meh seems to be the consensus with anything I positively review lately, lol

budgie
August 2nd 2019

heyy it finally came out
will check later today

Digging: Polygon Woods - Post Space

flvnkie
August 2nd 2019

her voice on this is just so smooooooth n pretty

Digging: Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell

Slex
August 2nd 2019

Gonna give this more listens for sure but initially disappointed

Digging: We Are Only Human Once - The Prettiest Boys in Town

luci
August 2nd 2019

nice review, "bags" is one of the most addictive songs of the year. that, "sofia" and the closer are my favs so we're in agreement here

might bump to a 4 depending on how it holds up

brainmelter

P4K is insignificant as all hell so I wouldn’t know

good review sowing

Cormano
August 2nd 2019

dude sweet I cant wait to jam the whole thing Sofia was dope af

31922 Comments

"P4K is insignificant as all hell"

A man after my own heart

Wildhoney
August 2nd 2019

So far nothing on this touches Bags, but it's growing on me

Arcade
August 2nd 2019

clairo hate makes no sense this is great

Digging: Blanck Mass - Animated Violence Mild

ramon.

pre-chorus

industry plant! industry plant! (x4)

chorus

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

31922 Comments

God not the industry plant argument again

Funny how it only seems to come up for female artists

BlushfulHippocrene
August 3rd 2019

Hahahaha. I think he's definitely joking, if it helps. Remember seeing a bunch of cool/cute videos from her, might check. :3

Digging: Florist (NY) - Emily Alone

Rowan5215

mk but when you jammin Remembering the Rockets sowing

Digging: Strange Ranger - Remembering the Rockets

31922 Comments

This week for sure! Also need to check that glass beach record that Slex 5'd. So much to keep up with.

Rowan5215
August 3rd 2019

acceptable answer. yeah seems like a lot of gold came out of nowhere this week. Bags is a jam, I'll peep this