Hey Rosetta!
Seeds

by SowingSeason STAFF
August 1st, 2019 | 10 replies

Review Summary: A bright light coming out of the dark.

The memories I have attached to Hey Rosetta! are fleeting, but very powerful. As such, I wouldn’t consider myself a fan, but I do have a profound appreciation for Seeds, and in particular the tracks “Yer Fall” and “Welcome.” The first time that I actively listened to Hey Rosetta! was in 2011, driving from my apartment in Philadelphia to a friend’s wedding. Not just any friend, but that of my high school crush who I was both fortunate and unfortunate enough to have remained very close friends with for the duration of both high school and college, despite being romantically rejected during my first ever declaration of love. It’s a wound that I’ll never forget, although now I look back at it through a very different lens that both appreciates her honesty and blushes at my own naivety.

Anyway, Seeds soundtracked my drive up the northeast extension of the Pennsylvania turnpike, air conditioner broken while attempting to blast away the sweltering July heat with all four windows down, and “Yer Fall” did what I imagine is the equivalent of reducing a person to tears. I’ve never been able to cry when I’m supposed to – breakups, funerals – much less for the sake of music, but I felt a lump in my throat when Tim Baker burst into the crescendo: “My love, my love is dead I buried it / What a senseless thing! this heart in shreds in the whipping wind!” Something about that line, joined by the wind in my face at 80mph, on the way to the wedding of a girl that I used to love – just obliterated me. It’s a brief memory, but one so palpable and distinct that I can almost slide it out of my memory and right into a picture frame. It’s strange then how at the wedding when they read off the line “love endures all things” that I felt not resentment nor self-pity, but an overwhelming sense of resolution; seeing her happy and in the best moment of her life settled something deep inside of me. I drove home in peace that evening, as if a new page had been turned.

On the flip side of the coin, it’s 2019 and I’m sitting in my living room watching my son roll over and hearing him laugh for the first time, in succession. Naturally, “Welcome” comes on shuffle, a song about bringing new life into the world and having that child immediately validate your entire existence. You’ll be a bright light coming out of the dark. Again, not one to tear up at the big moments in life, I get goosebumps at the sensation of the stars aligning and I can’t help but grin widely. What a difference eight years makes. Despite associating Seeds with songs about heartache and my own painful memories to boot, I still get an uplifting feeling from this album every single time. It’s a strange emotional dichotomy, but one that speaks to the silver linings that Hey Rosetta! are able to infuse into each song with effortless subtlety. I sit back and think to myself that love never dies – it just changes form. It endures all things: the ups, the downs – and no, you can’t get off. That’s the message I get from Seeds – an album whose darkness blossoms into life-affirming beauty.

Shura forevherWe Are Only Human Once The Prettiest Boys in Town
Pete Yorn CaretakersMarika Hackman Any Human Friend
The Harmaleighs She Won't Make SenseLICK Dark Vibe Order
Knott- EMERITUS (4.5)
Jaw-dropping, gorgeous....

31919 Comments

The good thing about making elaborate song of the decade features is that sometimes they double as a semi-adequate review for an album you've always meant to cover.

Digging: Off With Their Heads - Be Good

Toondude10
August 1st 2019

fuck I forgot about this album

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

johnnyblaze

a perfect album.

nice review! it's definitely an uplifting record and one that holds a lot of memories for this guy as well. congrats on the kid! mine is 5mths and Welcome is such a punch to the gut.

31919 Comments

Thanks johnny! Mine is coming up on 4m. I always liked the message on Welcome so it's been cool to "live it" in a sense.

dmathias52
August 1st 2019

Whoa! So close to being s five for me, so this album was a welcome experience. Although I don’t have a child of my own, I definitely associate this with my niece and basically any sort of large life moment.

Digging: Tyler Childers - Country Squire

Mister Twister
August 2nd 2019

only know of these guys because they're from St. John's and so am I, and I've only listened to Yer Fall, but it's spectacular

BlushfulHippocrene
August 2nd 2019

Lovely piece Sowing. Gave the songs you mentioned a listen and liked them a bunch, too.

Digging: Bon Iver - i,i

31919 Comments

Thanks Blush! Those are the two best cuts IMO, but if you enjoyed them you might want to spin this in its entirety before you fashion your decade-end ranking!

Observer
August 3rd 2019

Ive always been fond of the title track from this.

Digging: Shadow of Intent - Melancholy

sharkmsc
August 5th 2019

Damn, this review almost made me teary. This is all a whirlwind, but there are thousands of flashes of meaning and beauty. It's always interesting to extrapolate our deepest memories and feelings from today, especially as we are moving away from youth.