Opeth
Deliverance

by Confessed2005 USER (99 Reviews)
July 27th, 2019 | 9 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Not their finest hour, but equal to their finest hours.

Opeth are one of my favourite bands ever. They're signature brand of progressive death metal was an exciting and interesting premise, from which I developed a love for, particularly Mikael's vocals and the impressive and intricate guitar work (something I am most fond of). However, since the release of Watershed, everything after changed for the band and their fans accordingly. Gone were the guttural vocals, replaced with, the still impressive, yet somewhat drastically different, clean vocals. I've always enjoyed the instrumentation aspect of Opeth's sound, so the change wasn't too much of a disappointment. But they also radically changed their music too, converting from the prog-death to a more King Crimson inspired progressive rock flavour. Yet I love King Crimson too, so again, not that big a deal.

Deliverance took years to grow on me. It is undoubtedly their heaviest album, with songs like Wreath, Master's Apprentices and By the Pain I See In Others ranking as some of their finest most vicious songs. Riffs here are of the highest order, but the real gem here is the title track. Masterfully crafted, it is my favourite Opeth song ever - the clean section is marvellous, showing Mikael's aptitude for creating a ghostly atmosphere with his cleans. Steven Wilson's production techniques are excellent, as always. Overall, I can't fault the band (or the majority of their discography). Even if a lot of fans believe they have fallen off the high horse they were on for so many years (from Orchid to Watershed they were pretty ***ing consistent), Opeth's new album, from what I've heard of the new track, will be a fine return to form. They've evolved from the prog-death metal band they were for so many years to a newer, fresher and perhaps more inspired group.

To conclude, Deliverance is a milestone achievement for the band. Not in the sense that is better than their other classics but in that it shows that the band were always incredible musicians. This review may be irrelevant to some but I wanted to convey just how much I adore the band and nearly every album they have done. To a certain degree, I believe they are one of the best bands around. So let's see if the new one makes a splash in the water like Deliverance, Blackwater Park, Still Life...the list goes on.

Shinda Saibo No Katamari SaiboguTomb Mold Planetary Clairvoyance
Pelican Nighttime StoriesSwallow the Ocean Swallow the Ocean
Lurid Panacea The Insidious PoisonsNirvana In Utero (Deluxe Edition)

TheNotrap
July 27th 2019

Their most underrated and one of my favs

Have a pos

Digging: Humanity's Last Breath - Abyssal

TundraL5Z
July 27th 2019

This album is fantastic start to finish, I would also say this is one of their best

Digging: Shadow of Intent - Melancholy

Lucman
July 27th 2019

Not one of my favourite Opeth records but still brilliant in it's own right. Good review.

StrikeOfTheBeast

Review's kinda short. Great album though \m/

Digging: Gojira - The Way of All Flesh

e210013
July 27th 2019

Not their finest hour or even one of my favourite albums of Opeth but I agree with Notrap. This is their most underrated work. It's very heavy but very good.

Nice review. Pos.

Demon of the Fall

11978 Comments

Nice, pos.

Personally this is easily my least fave metal-orientated Opeth album, some of the riffs overstay their welcome and I can’t quite buy into the song-writing.

Digging: Esoctrilihum - The Telluric Ashes of the O? Vrth Immemorial Gods

Meridiu5

pos'd this rips

artiswar
July 27th 2019

Yeah, several riffs overstay their welcome, it's hard to dispute that. But.

...still fucking rules.