False
Portent

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (338 Reviews)
July 26th, 2019 | 111 replies

Release Date: 07/01/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Trve enough.

False’s sophomore full-length, Portent has been a bit of a wait. Fairly, since the band’s debut EP, the gaps between new music has been consistent if nothing else. Now I’m not talking about an excessive amount of time between releases (not unlike that Los Angeles based prog-rock act everyone’s been waiting for) but rather a conventional, measured and entitled hype building gap between EP’s and full records. Minnesota’s False has earned their reputation, and while it’s label (Gilead Media) is quickly becoming known for working with some solid acts (see this year’s Falls Of Rauros, Yellow Eyes, Mizmor…) their newest offering (aside from their Hunger EP) almost five years after Untitled lives up to the band’s expectations of riff maddened black metal that both hearkens to the furor of early days Emperor and brings modern cold black metal without losing any of the primality known in the group’s earlier efforts. If anything’s sure, it’s that Portent is a potent mix of frenetic musicianship that leans heavily on melodic dynamics that leaves listeners with an impactful, ambitious if not somewhat jarring expression of excellent black metal.

The album’s ten minute opener, propels the listener into a tumult of melody and double bass, marking some comparatively improved production values in regards to the band’s debut. It’s an artistic mayhem of sounds. “A Victual to Our Dead Selves” is a furious launch into False’s newest forty-plus minute affair, but it’s the focus on melody that lifts initial standards. The music itself is cold, determined and furious but doesn’t dip into that of a melodramatic, over-reached attempt at transforming a genre. False are thankfully sticking to what they know; great styles, melody and perfectly mixed in black metal vocals - all elements ripped from the throat of the underground and launched onto an international stage.

The typical black metal venom isn’t forgotten from the album’s sixteen minute piece. Despite a somewhat restrained and melancholic introduction, “The Serpent Sting, The Smell Of Goat” offers mid-paced placation that feels more like a journey and crescendo to define its own point within Portent itself with subtle nuances that hide under the icy tremolo riffing and blast beat, snare and bass patterns. False maintain their newest album that gears towards the fans of music that hold onto the In The Nightside Eclipse’s and Under A Funeral Moon purists of this world but it doesn’t conform to all the stereotypes that defined the greatness in the albums just mentioned. And largely, it shouldn’t. These after all are different times, and distinctly different bands. What is similar is the quality at which these group’s hold their music to.

What’s clear about False’s Portent is it’s level of cohesion and melodious balance. By definition, it’s black metal. It’s not transcendental or over-reaching on a genre to which False know their bounds, but instead focuses on crafting intelligent compositions that centralize around their particular brand of music. There’s lift, lull and crescendo as well as icy atmosphere and selective notions of uplifting yet barbed atmosphere.

Caligula's Horse Rise RadiantWinterfylleth The Reckoning Dawn
Allelic À Contre VentTrivium What The Dead Men Say
Ovid's Withering TerraphageMaddie and Tae The Way It Feels

Nocte
July 26th 2019

The average rating on this one deserves to be a touch higher.

Slex
July 26th 2019

Thaaaaaank you for reviewing this

God I love this album so much

Digging: Jeff Rosenstock - NO DREAM

Nocte
July 26th 2019

It was going to happen eventually. We'll have to see if this merits as much of a debate as the new Falls Of Rauros.

12022 Comments

Oh we got a rev! Maybe it makes me relisten X)

TKS Nocte

Digging: Cirith Ungol - Forever Black

Demon of the Fall
July 26th 2019

Nice review. This is OK so far, I'm struggling a little with it (as I sometimes do with 'by-the-book' BM). Some of the ideas overstay their welcome and I'm not sure the atmosphere is inciting enough to overcome the lack of variety. I'll persevere for now - probably won't rate it till next week.

The album cover is a thing of beauty.

Digging: ISIS - Wavering Radiant

12022 Comments

The Smell of Goat (THIS TRACK IS BEAUTIFUL)

MarsKid
July 26th 2019

I don't know if this warrants as much debate since it feels like a rather clear 4.0 to me. It's definitely a riff-fest, and in that regard they out-riff Falls quite easily I reckon.

Digging: No Note - if this is the future then I'm in the dark

July 26th 2019

Like the album art more than the music on this one

MarsKid
July 26th 2019

Black metal has a penchant for that sort of thing

TheSpirit
July 26th 2019

Nice review :] I still may have a go at writing about this and FoR, but I'm glad you've got pieces out for them.

Hawks
July 26th 2019

Was waiting on a review for this!

PunchforPunch

Beautiful stuff

Nomos2
July 26th 2019

In other news I fucking love these painted covers in this style. Reminds of Skeletonwitch/Bell Witch/Psycroptic/whatever else has come out in the last couple years like this.

oh...the covers

even those Horrendous are painted..they're awesome yeah

WatchItExplode

Loving these vocals.

Hawks

Vox rule yeah.

12022 Comments

yeah cold stuff...need to recheck it as I do NONE. Planning this next week to dive on all these awesome BM releases this year (Mythirmyng, Falls of Rauros and do that Yellow Eyes)

Pho3nix

The cover is by Mariusz Lewandowski I believe

Dedes
July 26th 2019

Sweet baby jesus does this have the best drums in melodic black metal

Deathconscious