UGK
Dirty Money

good

by Typhoon24 USER (14 Reviews)
July 19th, 2019 | 5 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An inferior follow up to Ridin’ Dirty, but this is made up for in the album’s identity and macho appeal.

For those familiar with Southern Hip-Hop in the 90s, it’s well established that Ridin’ Dirty was a classic that influenced many future artists in the genre. 5 years pass and fans eagerly await the next masterpiece considering that UGK never released a tepid major label album. What they got was this. Simply put, Cadillac music. Alpha-male music focusing more on the pimpin’ side of things rather than the in-your-face street music that fans were accustomed to. No songs about either rapper’s vulnerability or deep questions like whether there’s a heaven for gangstas. From back to front, every song is aggressive and uplifting.

However, the album didn’t fall into the trap that arguably Three 6 Mafia did and become “strip club music.” Pimp C’s classical production, although not as good as the last two albums is present, and his raw honesty hasn’t left us. Bun B’s flow remains cold as ice. There are just way too many good songs on this album to knock it, even though it didn’t surpass its predecessors. “Choppin Blades” explicitly said this music was made for ni**as to chop in their cars. Afterwards, “Let me See It” and “Look at me” set the tone for the level of vulgarity the album is to have. The rest of the songs follow that mold and it is impossible to find a down right “bad” song. Why isn’t this “stripper music"” Maybe it is, but I’d rather hear this on the way to work than while getting a lap dance.

Although possibly UGK’s worst effort, it still has its own identity and the music is quality. If you ever feel like you’ve been punked or feel good for no reason, I’d recommend songs off here more than any of their other records.

Kool G. Rap Roots Of EvilHieroglyphics 3rd Eye Vision
The Roots Illadelph HalflifeDr. Dre The Chronic
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayTha Dogg Pound Dogg Food
3.3

Typhoon24
July 19th 2019

I’m just rolling through reviewing albums that deserve reviews

Drifter
July 19th 2019

^ I should start doing that tbh. Good review typhoon

Typhoon24

I recommend it, 95-05 hip hop is not reviewed as much as other albums

Drifter
July 20th 2019

Yeah it sucks. I wasn't even around for a long time after Bulldog left but I miss him lol

NeroCorleone80

Cool review.

And yeah its kinda strange how 90s and 10s hip-hop gets way more attention than 00s. People seem to just skip from boom bap to trap and dont check the stuff in between.

Digging: DJ Funk - Bootyology