Disentomb
The Decaying Light

by TheNotrap USER (27 Reviews)
July 16th, 2019 | 112 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The immeasurable weight

Hard rock always walked towards weight and greater speed. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer or Death, have paved the way for a new generation of bands who shaped their music around heaviness and brutality. "Effigy of the Forgotten" and "Tomb of the Mutilated" are two early examples of this new approach, seeds of a new sub-genre, which will later flourish in bands such as Deeds of Flesh, Cryptopsy, Disgorge, Severe Torture, among many others. Brutal death metal is more diverse than many might think. It features different styles, ranging from hyperactivity (e.g. Cryptopsy) to high tech (e.g. Necrophagist), swinging between extreme heaviness (e.g. early Deeds of Flesh), slam (e.g. Abominable Putridity), brutal sci-fi (e.g. Wormed), groove (e.g. Dying Fetus), traditional (e.g. Suffocation) and contemporary approaches, with all sorts of core-ish influences.

Disentomb is part of a new generation that links past and present. If on the one hand, they carry the tradition of bands like Disgorge, on the other, the band expands horizons, adding newer textures, which are manifested through density and dissonance. The opener "Collapsing Skies" is a reflection of the band's artistic expansion. Never before has Disentomb shown such elegant density. The collapse presents itself as an inescapable inevitability, that we must accept hopelessly, as inert bodies, obediently waiting for the moment when we will be overwhelmed by its immeasurable weight. This overwhelming sensation is ever-present throughout The Decaying Light, whether in more mid-paced moments as in the opener and title track, or in blistering offerings such as "Indecipherable Sermons of Gloom", "Centuries of Deluge" and "Rebirth Through Excoriation". The balance between the previous songs and doomier outputs like "The Great Abandonment", "Dismal Liturgies" or "Invocation in the Cathedral of Dust", is crucial to The Decaying Light's devastating equilibrium.

The band works as a single organism. The impressive tuning between musicians is remarkable, especially between drums and guitar, which sound like two siamese creatures expelling lethal doses of poison simultaneously. Jordan James' powerful performance also delivers the perfect roar to this crushing behemoth, thus reinforcing the massive and impenetrable cohesion of The Decaying Light, which benefits from a flawless production.

On a less positive note, I think the album could be shorter. It doesn't have fillers, but 44 minutes seems a bit excessive, causing some unnecessary fatigue to the listener.

In conclusion, The Decaying Light is a massive undertaking. It's heavy, dense, overwhelming, but also challenging and artistically relevant, being most certainly one of the best brutal death metal albums of 2019.

Humanity's Last Breath AbyssalSuperstition The Anatomy Of Unholy Transformation
Noctambulist Atmospheres of DesolationWormed Metaportal
Turilli / Lione Rhapsody Zero Gravity (Rebirth and Evolution)Psycroptic As The Kingdom Drowns
Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)
Heavy lies the crown....

July 16th 2019

Some thoughts about the new Disentomb. Extreme metal fans should check this out.

You guys can stream the full album here:

Digging: Humanity's Last Breath - Abyssal

MarsKid
July 16th 2019

"Seeds of a new sub-genre, which will later flourish in bands such as Deeds of Flesh, Cryptopsy, Disgorge, Severe Torture, among many others."

This should be edited to be a sentence, it's incomplete currently.

"... is crucial to The Decaying Light devastating equilibrium."

Change Light -> Light's

Other than that this was a nice write-up. I have this on my list so I'll be getting around to it sometime soon. Have to say I disagree that 44 minutes is too long--that's about average in my book. If there's no filler and the core content is strong, duration shouldn't become an issue.

Digging: Sparrows - Failed Gods

July 16th 2019

Thanks for your feedback.

"This should be edited to be a sentence, it's incomplete currently."

Sorry, I don't understand your point.

"Have to say I disagree that 44 minutes is too long--that's about average in my book.

To me is too excessive for a brutal death metal album, with this density.

brainmelter

edit: nvm

Digging: nabosoposkle - s/t

DDDeftoneDDD
July 16th 2019

Oh I feel I m in for a treat.

POSd

Digging: Tropical Fuck Storm - Braindrops

Pikazilla

Album ruuuuuuules

trilo

album slaps

and yeah agreed the album is a bit too long for my liking but t/t and onwards owns

nice review mang

July 16th 2019

Yeah, rules hard. Overwhelming stuff.

You should dig it D

Thanks Trilo

trilo

dismal liturgies and invocation are such a sick 1-2 punch hnnnng

July 16th 2019

I'll be the weeb and say the cover gives me attack on titan vibes. Hit play as writing this and those vox :o

Digging: Purification - Destruction Of The Wicked

July 16th 2019

Ah shit, Matti Way guests on this and the bassist put out a sweet album with his Lurid Panacea band this year

Jacquibim

The bassist is from Lurid Panacea? This explains a great many things

"Indecipherable Sermons of Gloom" new video:

Rules

July 17th 2019

Aye does vox, guitar and bass for them

sup necro.

mornin' pleb

July 17th 2019

You going Neurosis on Saturday?

July 17th 2019

Yeah me and my brother are going, he is working in london atm on joss whedons' new show so i'm flying over for the day

July 17th 2019

Wow that's cool, where are you from?

I'll be there too, getting a train down from Liverpool so will be there midday-ish.

July 17th 2019

Northern Ireland but I'm having to fly out from Dublin at 8am sat then fly back on Sunday afternoon. Rip