He Is Legend
White Bat

by SitarHero CONTRIBUTOR (60 Reviews)
July 16th, 2019 | 69 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Good dirty sleazy fun. Like a pool of mud for a pig.

When I first heard He Is Legend’s debut, I Am Hollywood, way back in ’04-’05, their scene-kid image somehow managed to outweigh the weight of their riffage in my mind and led me to summarily (and erroneously) dismiss them as just another uninteresting scenecore band. In the following years I managed to avoid listening to anything else they put out, thereby completely missing their evolution from fresh-faced scene-kids to hirsute groovy southern rockers. Therefore, imagine my surprise when, on a whim, I decided to give White Bat a spin and found myself thoroughly enjoying their freewheeling spiritual mashup of White Zombie, Pantera and Every Time I Die.

Led by the now whiskey-and-cigarette-voiced frontman Schuylar Croom, and the tectonic swagger of guitarist Adam Tanbouz and drummer Jesse Shelley, White Bat is a loose concept album that looks at life through the eyes of its thoroughly disreputable titular character on his journey across the "badlands" in much the same way the band’s debut explored the seedy underbelly of tinseltown. If anything, the concept is borne out even better on White Bat than it was on I Am Hollywood thanks to the gravel in Croom’s voice and the sleaze in Tanbouz’s riffing adding some real grit and menace to proceedings. In general, the album’s uptempo rockers prove to be its high-points with their supercharged energy-and-groove-laden instrumental performances counterbalancing any inequities in the vocal department. White Bat comes charging out of the gates like a (white) bat out of hell with the 1-2 punch of its title-track and the tongue-in-cheek “Burn All Your Rock Records”, while the over-caffeinated “Eye Teeth” and the crushing “Boogiewoman” also provide some of the album's absolute highlights.

The results when the band slows things down are a bit more mixed. Croom crafts some haunting melodies over some of the slower songs such as “Uncanny Valley” and they are not without appeal. However, there is a significant lack of really catchy hooks on the album and this is particularly noticeable when the instruments aren’t dominating proceedings. Ultimately this makes the album feel slightly disposable and it falls just short of being the kind of record that demands repeated listens. But, while it lasts, White Bat provides a rollicking good time in the finest tradition of spooky southern groove metal.

"White Bat" Lyric Video: https://youtu.be/KxywZgsgolI
"Boogiewoman" Music Video: https://youtu.be/3NdTaWL0_A8

The Contortionist Our BonesDestrage The Chosen One
The Wildhearts Renaissance MenSolitude Aeturnus Beyond the Crimson Horizon
Periphery Periphery IV: Hail StanDevin Townsend Empath
Squizzy (3.5)
Consistently evolving, but staying consistently the same....

July 16th 2019

Meant to do this ages ago, but I only just found the time and motivation. Fun little album, this.

gschwen
July 16th 2019

Couldn't agree more with your rating and summary, particularly the last paragraph. It sums up exactly how I feel about it.

July 16th 2019

Yeah! Not a classic by any means, but a damn fun album regardless. I really want to see these guys live now.

Get Low
July 16th 2019

Their best album since Suck Out the Poison but still not great.

WatchItExplode
July 16th 2019

Yes, yes, and yes. Eye Teeth brings it.

MarsKid
July 16th 2019

Maybe I need to give these guys another pass. Listened to Hollywood and enjoyed it but it has been some time.

Digging: WRVTH - No Rising Sun

ConcubinaryCode
July 16th 2019

I swear the hype these guys got for the comeback was immense and now they're 3 albums in and talk of them seems very small despite them having very solid stuff.

Ecnalzen
July 16th 2019

Hooray, this got a reivew!

July 16th 2019

Yeah sorry. I meant to write this like 2 weeks ago but life happens.

outliers
July 16th 2019

loved this for a couple days before it grew off me hard. putting this in the same category of their last 2 albums. not great, not terrible, pretty forgettable

July 16th 2019

It's better than the last two though. Heavier, better riffs, better production, better vocals.

ConcubinaryCode
July 16th 2019

^agreed. They've gotten better with every release tbh

July 16th 2019

I think I Am Hollywood and It Hates You hold up pretty well, the former especially considering how young these guys were when they made it. I haven't listened to Suck Out The Poison yet though.

Ecnalzen
July 16th 2019

I like the previous two quite a bit, but I like this and It Hates You the most in their post-phxc days.

July 16th 2019

Ha! I just checked out their artist page and everything except this and Hollywood (4.1) are rated at 3.7, and this is a 3.8! How's that for consistency?

Winsomniac
July 16th 2019

Neat review! I liked few better overall, but there are some real great moments on this one as well. Bigger fan of their southern-metal riff-based work than their post-hardcore influenced stuff.

July 16th 2019

Something about the production on few just rubbed me the wrong way. Like the guitars and vocals were just too thin and papery. The guitars on this are MASSIVE! And Croom sounds like he's finally grown into his voice.

Get Low
July 16th 2019

@Sitar Listen to Suck Out the Poison. It's worth your time.

It's on my to-do list!

KateBush
July 16th 2019

Yes except it isn't really, is it?