Ossuarium
Living Tomb

by TheSpirit CONTRIBUTOR (151 Reviews)
July 11th, 2019 | 11 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Flames lick flesh.

Personally, death metal played an enormous role in how I perceived the quality of music last year. The new-school of old-school death metal scene has been raging for over a decade, and 2018 felt like the culmination of the classic meets contemporary style peddled throughout the last ten years. Ossuarium’s Living Tomb could have easily stood among the pantheon of greats from last year. It’s a record that lives up to its name, lurching about with the swagger of an undead behemoth, stench of decay oozing from every rotten pore. It is immediately evocative of OSDM death/doom greats Autopsy, the greatest compliment one could give a band of this style. It doesn’t just rest of laurels however; there is a macabre sense of melody that lurks behind the putrescent riffage, a gothic undertone that lends to the feeling of this album being an anquitious abomination, traipsing about for the taste of human flesh. Ironically, it also gives the album a freshness, and something that has kept myself (and others) returning this death metal cemetery, a place unsettling yet enjoyable all the same.

Lord Snow SHADOWMARKSSinmara Hvísl Stjarnanna
Malfet The Snaking PathConvulsing Grievous
Nihil Invocation Furthering the Depth of Lucid MadnessUlver The Assassination of Julius Caesar
Sean H. CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)
Spacious, albeit goofy, murk...

July 10th 2019

Bloon’s review is more substantial than this (obviously), but I’ve been digging this hard lately.

Dewinged

Nice shorty dude.

I dig this album quite a bit too.

Digging: Paranoid Void - Literary Math

Papa Universe
July 10th 2019

am I the only one irked by the shortness of your reviews lately?

living POS

July 10th 2019

Ope! I guess so lol. I’m taking that as you want to see more from me :] The next one will be longer, promise!

naughtcturnal
July 11th 2019

album is filthy. spiritual (harhar) pos

Digging: Cara Neir - Part III / Part IV

Digging: Forgjord - Ilmestykset

thankx

ffs
July 11th 2019

thought i had heard this but it was actually the ossuary album from this year. will check