Russian Girlfriends
In The Parlance of Our Times

by Casus belli CONTRIBUTOR (79 Reviews)
July 2nd, 2019 | 22 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: We make adult decisions.....

There’s an expectation for punk music to impart some sort of societal or political statement against the status quo, and to do so while sounding like the smartest people in the room. If you designate your band to the punk moniker as Russian Girlfriends have, any sort of notoriety you gain will inevitably be examined under the lens of the “scene” at large by the oldheads and how your product contributes to its betterment. Now because I didn’t see my name listed as a member of Russian Girlfriends last time I checked, I’m not claiming to know their intentions or impulses behind the music they write. And while In the Parlance of Our Times does indeed impart its fair share of insights, it’s the band’s style of storytelling that’s a breath of fresh air from a world taking itself way too seriously lately that makes these songs so magnetic.

Looking at some of In the Parlance of Our Times’ song titles, it wouldn’t be unreasonable to assume you know the subject matter contained therein. And for the most part you’d be right, but only to a certain degree. “Pride Parade” isn’t about LGBQT struggles and triumphs, it’s about getting caught up in a pride parade on the way home from work, losing your inhibitions and succumbing to the celebratory atmosphere. This song, like many others reaches an end point of understanding or acceptance, but Russian Girlfriends sincerely don’t care about sounding intellectual or “woke” while getting there. This attitude is reflected in the music of In the Parlance of Our Times as well, which relies on standard punk-style riffing heavy with catchy, punchy rhythms. Album opener “Coke” is easily the most traditionally punk-esque offering on the record, with the band settling into an infectious hybrid of hardcore punk with pop sensibilities for the remainder of the record.

In the Parlance of Our Times succeeds because of its overflowing passion and personality, with the primary contributor being vocalist Adam Hooks. Quite simply, Hooks is brilliant throughout In the Parlance of Our Times, as he displays a charisma and aggression that elevates every facet of the record. Even the messages seem to translate better thanks to Hooks’ soulful delivery acting as the proverbial spoonful of sugar. The interplay between the guitar work and Hooks’ melodies creates an irresistible concoction. This formula culminates in a record full of memorable moments like the roaring opening of “Obsidian” or the blink-182 via Dude Ranch vibes of “Mark Knopfler Is My Moral Compass”. In the Parlance of Our Times flashes by very quickly, demanding multiple listens and revealing more gold upon every successive dive. So are Russian Girlfriends pushing punk music forward with this offering" Probably not, and I don’t think they care and really, what’s more punk than that"

Avantdale Bowling Club Avantdale Bowling ClubTowkio WWW
Night Verses Copper WaspBibio Phantom Brickworks
The Ongoing Concept PlacesStray From The Path Only Death Is Real

July 2nd 2019

Umm.....I know I haven't reviewed in awhile but can we not indent anymore? Anyways this shit is fun and I think a lot of yall would like it. Let me know the mistakes, the meta on sputnik reviews has probably changed a few times since I last did one of these.

Digging: Russian Girlfriends - In The Parlance of Our Times

MarsKid
July 2nd 2019

The vocalists' last name is Hooks? That's pretty perfect.

Nice little review, seems 2019 is releasing everything including the kitchen sink these days. Will try to check asap.

Digging: Disentomb - The Decaying Light

TheSupernatural

1955 Comments

Jeremy's Last Stand feels more like straight rock than punk but it might be my favorite off this. These guys seem like they'd put on a hell of a show live

July 2nd 2019

yeah Mars I had to resist the temptation. and Super I had the same thought after I heard Obsidian that these songs would sound great live.

WatchItExplode
July 2nd 2019

I checked this after seeing you and Atari discuss it. Unfortunately, I wasn't as enamored with it as you two.

Tb1114
July 2nd 2019

great review calc! will def check this out, i like what i hear so far. this has been a punk summer for me & i think this came out at the right time

July 2nd 2019

Review is accurate, concise and well-written

album is such a blast, thx again for pointing this out to me

Digging: Telethon - Hard Pop

thanks gents!

July 2nd 2019

just heard babylon and loved it. def gonna check this out!

Ecnalzen
July 2nd 2019

Gonna listen to this some more. Enjoyed my first go thru.

July 2nd 2019

this is realllly friggin good.

great review btw calc. love that last sentence haha

July 2nd 2019

hell yess gyro and ecnal. so damn good

July 2nd 2019

Are russian girlfriends any good?

Digging: UNKLE - Psyence Fiction

SlothcoreSam
July 2nd 2019

Reminds me a lot of PEARS, which is an excellent thing.

Digging: Good Riddance - Thoughts And Prayers

BlushfulHippocrene
July 2nd 2019

Really good review, dude. Gonna take me a bit to get used to some of the vocals, specifically when Hooks isn't screaming -- they have this rock inflection that's obviously fine, though seemingly designed to turn me off -- but I'm gonna strive through because damn, some of this is so fantastic.

July 3rd 2019

fukin A guys I'm glad yall seem to like this. For some reason I just thought it would tickle a lot of people just right.

July 3rd 2019

I wasn't talking about the band

Feather
July 3rd 2019

ooooooo this band is great

Conmaniac

u think id dig this?

July 3rd 2019

It’s all just a fucking advertisement... and I don’t even like Pepsi!!