Lil Peep
HELLBOY

by ian b. mk iii USER (3 Reviews)
June 30th, 2019 | 23 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Part 8: The ultimate culmination of everything that encompassed Lil Peep, becoming the sole standard project for Emo-Rap that so many copycats have tried to replicate, but never reinvent.

It’s genuinely difficult to introduce Lil Peep as anything other than extremely polarizing, to say the very least. While his earlier mixtapes perfected the atmospheric emo lyrics with sludgy, teamSESH/Bones inspired vocal deliveries (particularly LiL PEEP: Part One), and then the minimalistic sample-flipping beats paired with a new melodic vocal energy found on Crybaby; nothing before could have ever predicted the splash that Lil Peep made when he was swimming through the muddy, lean-fueled epitome of everything that was Lil Peep, with the project Hellboy.

In fact, the only real drawbacks from this record come from some of the features, mainly Horsehead’s shameless lack of charisma on “Girls” and the near swerve off of the road that is Xaviur Wulf’s boring and lyrically dense feature on “Drive-By”. But at the same time, I can’t even say that “Drive-By” is a bad track though, even with the awkward feature. The production from Nedarb (who is definitely Peep’s most consistent producer) is ethereally lifting, and Peep’s hooks ring like an anthemic joyride. Those previously mentioned negative aspects are overshadowed by Peep’s presence, or Lil Tracy’s vocals, and KirbLaGoop’s (whom i would die defending, by the way) overall polarizing delivery. Everything is held together by an impeccable producer-lineup, featuring Nedarb, Yung Cortex, Smokeasac, and Charlie Shuffler, among others With all of this at play,there’s no way this project will ever have anything to really compare it to. Tracks like “OMFG”, “The Song They Played (When I Crashed into the Wall)”, and the Underoath-sampling title track all feature guitar-based samples that Peep, along with his producers, all come to warp into one unique, grandiose sound.That, and the lightning-in-a-bottle effect of when + how Hellboy was recorded, is what made Hellboy his first project to genuinely make waves, whether for praise or pure loathing.

The reason a lot of people don’t like the sound(s) that Lil Peep has to offer mainly comes down to his minimalistic approach to song structures, containing usually 1 (occasionally 2) verses, with a hook that rings either 2-4 times, depending on the track. I would argue this is essentially the emotional pre-cursor in the minimalistic/entrancing wave of trap, later spearheaded more psychedelically by Playboi Carti, rather than the minimalism being an unintentional fault. Lil Peep knew how to write songs that could break into your head, and with Hellboy, he used this talent of his to make the longest, most ambitious full length released in his lifetime. While the lyrics that bluntly come off as just teenage angst and drug glorification at initial listens, they start to manifest themselves into genuine, subtle cries for help. This is especially apparent now, particularly on tracks like “OMFG” with the main hook being ”I used to wanna kill myself / Came up, still wanna kill myself // My life is going nowhere / I want everyone to know that I don’t care,” or the opening and closing lines of the following track, “The Song They Played…,” serving as a subtle cry for desperation, with the main lines being ”I don’t wanna die alone right now, but I admit I do sometimes / These drugs are calling me / Do one more line, don’t fall asleep”. Even I, upon first listening to this project around the end of 2016, dismissed these lyrics as edgy, repetitive, or maybe even annoying.

But it’s when these lyrics are further explored, and given more context that the emotion all truly comes to fruition. Looking back, it was apparent Peep knew his addictions would get the best of him, and that’s never more emotionally potent and diversely presented than from the opening title track, all the way to the Avenged Sevenfold-sampled closer “Move On, Be Strong”. Almost everything is perfectly in place, and all at the right time, but painfully predictive in retrospect, which makes Hellboy by Lil Peep one of the most ambitious, genuinely tragic, and thematically ignored projects of recent times.

4.7/5

”and the bitches call me Cobain / She can see the pain / Look me in the eyes girl, we are not the same” - “Cobain”

2.8
good
SadistikEyedeas (3)
Lil Peep introduces an exciting blend of trap flavored hip-hop mixed with classic emo music, that wi...

June 30th 2019

ohhhh fuck okay this is probably the peep project i was most scared to cover, but it won by a mass majority when i polled which one i should do next. so here it is, remember this is just MY opinion, and any/all constructive criticism is greatly appreciated ♡ also idk which chapter this will be since this is all out of chronological order but ¯_(ツ)_/¯

anyways which project of his should i review next?

Digging: Jeromes Dream - LP

June 30th 2019

ok i determined all the projects i want to cover, and this one is his 8th project (that i'm covering at least) Chapter 11 (and likely the final review for the time being, until the collab album with ILoveMakonnen drops) will be Come Over When You’re Sober Part 2, which is gonna be a lot easier than this lol. Chapter 0 is a special one to me so idk when i'm gonna post it, but if you know me you could probably guess easily hahah.

Papa Universe
June 30th 2019

still going strong there, bub.
hellPOS

June 30th 2019

thanks Uni :') this one was def the hardest and most stressful to write, because this is quite a hot take for sputnik lol, but thank you again !! i wasn't sure if this one would be the first to flop or not but now i'm not really worried about it bc it is just my opinion anyways lol

June 30th 2019

OH also shoutout to Bloon for rephrasing and condensing some lines down here, ye so big thanks to Bloon

Bloon

>:3

Digging: Chief Keef - Almighty So

SlicePaperMoog

Drive By still fucks

Papa Universe
June 30th 2019

I mean, I'm not going to listen to this, that's for sure. His music appeals to me like a torn up towels appeals to a frog, but I can see your point of view.

June 30th 2019

drive-by definitely does indeed fuck, also understandable Uni. i could only really seeing you enjoy 5-10 (at most) of Lil Peep's 600+ songs hahah

drive by rules

Digging: xanopticon - Liminal Space

June 30th 2019

”yo, throw me the keys bruh”

ok i will "bruh"

July 1st 2019

listen,,, that's Peep's vernacular not mine lmfao

anyways

MOTOROLA PHONE, I AIN'T GOIN HOME, I WON'T GO TO WORK, MAMA HATE ME AND I KNOW IT THOUGH

sixdegrees

"bruh" moment

PunchforPunch

cmon bruh

July 1st 2019

bro you just gotta let yourself go

r.i.p. yung bruh

Conmaniac
July 2nd 2019

Good review, few mistakes here and there but reads pretty fluidly man. Sad to say I've never jammed a full Lil Peep mixtape

July 3rd 2019

thanks Con, yeah i was just really anxious editing this one bc it was hitting me how much of a Spicy Take™️ this sorta was for sputnikmusic dot com, but i try to find something to clean up every time i check and comment on here