Madonna
Madame X

by Sean H. CONTRIBUTOR (116 Reviews)
June 16th, 2019 | 60 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: we gonna get up

I'm not usually one for an "album trailer," but I found the teaser for Madame X incredibly interesting, especially the spoken description of who Madame X is:

“Madame X is a secret agent. Traveling around the world. Changing identities. Fighting for freedom. Bringing light to dark places. She is a dancer. A professor. A head of state. A housekeeper. An equestrian. A prisoner. A student. A mother. A child. A teacher. A nun. A singer. A saint. A whore. A spy in the house of love. I am Madame X."

Ever the fan of bold statements and exclamations, the idea of a pseudo-conceptual record about a secret agent/anti-heroine is not something too shocking from Madonna. That’s part of why many, including myself, are fans of her work as a musician and provacitor. Even if it’s brash and ill-advised at times - she’s not afraid to do what she wants and it’s damn inspirational. The fact that, in spite of cries and sneers, she has continued making music and putting herself out there since the eighties is moving, regardless of how you feel about recent releases. So, this said, her attempt at making another career period would be an insurmountable challenge for your average person, but if anyone can do it, it’s the best selling female artist of all time.

The themes on Madame X are a bit everywhere, much like everything about the record, but they make for a very interesting ride through statements from he madame herself. Political opinions (“God Control”), calls to action (“Come Alive”), religious allegory (“Batuka”), exclamations of love (“Crave”), empowerment of the disenfranchised (“Killers Who Are Partying”), the stagnation of societal evolution (“Future”), and a musical tour throughout areas such as Portugal and France are all fair game here, coming together to create a poignant experience. Despite a few lackluster lines here and there, the sum of Madonna’s messages and imagery is a wholly moving experience. Any missteps in production or lyricism fail to ruin that larger picture, one of a multifaceted, flawed, and frayed society. A society that this Madame X character wants to save, but can’t do anything beyond what one person can do.

I could sit here and go through what musical points are my favorite or who produced what songs or whatever, but I feel like doing so would be a disservice to what I like about this record. It’s emotionally powerful and, frankly, bizarrely eclectic in all the right ways. The tracks here span from wrld music to discover to trap infused pop. Maybe it’s just relieving to hear a voice I respect so much touch on topics that I find myself dwelling on often in such an enjoyable way. It’s not perfect, the concept feels flustered and a bit messy at times, but it hit me in a way I hardly expected it to. It’s a hard thing to describe with a keyboard or a pen, but I guess I can put it like this:

Madonna is one of my biggest heroes, hands down. I admire her courage and artistic vision immensely and both are here in spades. Before when I said that this was an attempted career period definer, I think that Madame X is that. It’s the collaboration of so many artists from so many places to assist in a pop album of a higher purpose - Madonna’s attempts to celebrate those who have been unjustly cast aside, Madonna’s attempt to promote something bigger than album sales. Maybe I’m completely off, maybe I missed the mark and this really is a confused mess (that’s how I felt the first time I heard it after all), but Madame X struck a chord with me. Take “I Rise,” a call to protest and a scream meant to be heard by those in power. That word she uses, “we,” it feels powerful, it feels inspiring. I dunno, maybe I’m a sucker, but this album made me feel something, something good. Something hopeful.

Jack Stauber MicropopThe Homopolice Fuck Entertainment
Fetid Steeping Corporeal MessNocturnus AD Paradox
Tyler, the Creator IGORPossessed Revelations of Oblivion
2.6
TheMoonchild (3)
Madonna is as Madonna does....

Bloon

Stream: https://open.spotify.com/album/1G2YEQPXaOj1JZwa3ZiGe8

Thanks to johnnyofthewell

Digging: Chief Keef - Almighty So

Nocte

Worst art of 2019

samwise2000
June 16th 2019

Is it supposed to look like Frida Kahlo?

Dewinged
June 16th 2019

"Bitch I'm Loca (feat. Maluma)"

This song title alone made me nope out of it.

But good review Bloon ;)

Digging: Lingua Ignota - Caligula

JohnnyoftheWell

Nice nice :] :]

Digging: bloodthirsty butchers - Kocorono

alamo

really nice review

atrocious album

although hearing madonna sing funk carioca in portuguese with anitta is absolutely golden even if somewhat cringe

Bloon
June 16th 2019

i will agree the cover sucks

deluxe version is much better

alamo
June 16th 2019

"It’s the collaboration of so many artists from so many places to assist in a pop album of a higher purpose - Madonna’s attempts to celebrate those who have been unjustly cast aside, Madonna’s attempt to promote something bigger than album sales"

as a brazilian i have to disagree with that, it's really simply a commercial move. anitta is the biggest singer here by far and we're a huge ass country so naturally it gets a looooot of buzz even if it's not even a single or anything. same thing for the maluma collabs, he's the biggest thing in latin america atm, has done collabs with anitta in the past so also a lot of buzz around here

iggy azalea did the same thing with an anitta collab in 2017, watching they perform together was ridiculous, she made anitta look like a background dancer and leave before the end of the song....treated her like she was nothing lol

it's just americans realizing latin countries stream music.... someone who did that recently from a genuine place though is charli xcx with pabllo vittar on pop2 and another upcoming track with him xd

tommygun
June 17th 2019

this old hag still at it? jesus

Digging: Hatchie - Keepsake

DoofDoof
June 17th 2019

Aren't there some dalmatian puppies she should be drowning in a bathtub?

literallyzach
June 17th 2019

madonna clearly has respect for the latin cultures she’s lifting from. sure part of is definitely a commercial move but it’s a smart one and the lisbon influence from her time living there feels intuitive and important for me. also bitch i’m loca is a excellent piece of camp that i can not wait to hear when i’m clubbing

also nice review

Dewinged
June 17th 2019

And this is why we need to colonize another planet asap.

Nocte

That rating spread lol

Slex
June 17th 2019

When do the mods introduce the feature where we can rate album covers

Digging: Joliette - Luz Devora

DoofDoof
June 17th 2019

Half the soundoffs posted here are critique of album covers let’s be real

Slex

Hmmm fair point

anarchistfish

dat unibrow

starboystargirl

rodrigo90
June 17th 2019

The Maluma featured songs only makes the album unlistenable.

phd2005
June 17th 2019

Lots of ridiculous, ageist folks here hating on Madonna but at the end of the day, her career is the touchstone by which all pop stars are judged. I think this album is stupendous, easily her best since Confessions on a Dance Floor. If you're a Republican and/or Trump supporter I can see where it would be a hard pass for you but soncially the album is really cohesive and complex. One of her better efforts.