Motionless in White

by Simon STAFF
June 8th, 2019 | 136 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: new-metal

Not without an admirable amount of effort, I’ve tried to get into Motionless in White a few times over the years. Chris has a sturdy screaming voice that would occasionally hit the right buttons during their industrial-meets-metalcore adolescence; it was this potential that always kept me going back to them, in the hope that one day the penny might drop. After all, these guys draw from a myriad of bands I love. Their early shtick of spooky Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson aesthetics clashing with chunky metalcore riffs is a recipe that should technically appeal to me. Even now with Disguise drawing predominantly from NU-metal, and the occasional lashing of alt-rock and metalcore, it’s a domain that I grew up in and still enjoy to this day. Yet, somehow, Motionless in White have always managed to elude me – unsuccessfully capitalising on that true potential. Their penchant for never sticking to the heavier side of songwriting and always opting to shoehorn a lazy mid-tempo chorus with miserably generic melodies is a theme that has tormented me and their work since inception. The problem now is that with every album they release, they move further and further away from that once promising sound. Disguise sheds its industrial sensibilities for the ever-reviving NU-metal revolution, and the results are simple horrifying at times.

Motionless in White were never one to mask their influences when it came to writing music – imitation is a cornerstone that has always strong-armed the majority of their sound – and with Disguise putting both feet into the NU-metal ethos, it comes out with a fresh set of dated emulations. The band’s sixth offering is easily the most obnoxious, antiquated and hackneyed offering to date. NU-metal has seen a slow-cooking resurgence this past few years, with many going over it with a romanticised glaze, making people forget the bad parts of the genre. In a way, we should be thankful Motionless in White have let this album see the light of day, as they’ve successfully delivered an album that reminds us of NU-metal’s worst traits – coupled with their usual ham-fisted clean-chorus integrations to add insult to injury. The glitched segments in “Disguise,” the turntable scratches on “Headache,” and the artificial angst that seeps from the Three Days Grace, alt-rock knock-off “Holding on To Smoke” are just a few of the album’s cramp-inducing moments that will make you feel like you’re back in the early ‘00s.

I mean honestly, bar maybe “Another Life” for actually delivering a half-decent chorus with memorability, Disguise is just a hollow collection of horribly dated sounds with tasteless nods to an era many wish to see the back of. Bring Me the Horizon’s Sempiternal is a good example of a record that respects the genre and makes its own interpretations of it; this just copies trodden glories and hopes nostalgia and cheap hooks will overshadow what is a shallow and cynical experience. The lyrics on here make even Fred Durst’s worst poetry look like long-misunderstood Shakespearean masterpieces; the riffs lack even a morsel of effort or memorability; and the pacing issue will have you wishing the album was done before the halfway mark. Do yourself a favour: if you’re a fan of NU-metal, or you’re curious about the sound, just listen to the bands who pillared NU-metal and send this abomination back from whence it came.

FORMAT//EDITIONS: DIGITAL/̶/̶C̶D̶/̶/̶V̶A̶R̶I̶O̶U̶S̶ ̶B̶U̶N̶D̶L̶E̶S̶

PACKAGING: N/A

SPECIAL EDITION BONUSES: N/A

ALBUM STREAM//PURCHASE: https://miwmerch.com/"intcmp=190607/motionlessinwhite/rr/spl/s_hp/img/bdy/ww/disguise-available-now-merch-image

Hollywood Vampires RiseSixx:A.M. The Heroin Diaries 10th Anniversary Edition
Combichrist One FireCom Truise Persuasion System
Interpol A Fine MessRammstein Rammstein
2.1
poor

horrendous

maximomckinnon
June 8th 2019

imo it's the better of the past few albums they've put out, but that's not saying much at all

good review

Pikazilla
June 8th 2019

This band should've never existed.

TheNotrap
June 8th 2019

Damn 1.5? AVP2 kinda of bad?

Digging: Panzerfaust - The Suns of Perdition - Chapter I: War, Horrid War

June 8th 2019

I have wrinkles from wincing so much notrap

TheNotrap
June 8th 2019

Hahah ok that’s the skip it sign

June 8th 2019

In all seriousness though, this is one of the year’s worst for me

June 8th 2019

shitty Marilyn Mansoncore band comes out with another shitty album. Can’t wait to hear it, my girlfriend will probably blast it all fucking week

June 8th 2019

And unsurprisingly, the album art is complete trash

trackbytrackreviews
June 8th 2019

this vs Aggressive vs Every Trick in the Book vs HOPE for worst “metalcore” album art?

SymbolicInTime
June 8th 2019

@Wildcard my wife use to love these guys and even she thinks this album is dogshit

Digging: Korn - Life Is Peachy

I wouldn't say this is 1.5 bad, but it is def a 2.5 max

edit: nvm I gave this a 2 lol

Digging: Paris - Sleeping with the Enemy

Sinternet

19677 Comments

have this band done a single song worth remembering apart from abigail?

BreakfastCat

I will never listen to this but that album art alone warrants a 1

June 8th 2019

Well at least her taste isn’t complete shit. I’m midway through the second track and I’m legit questioning my life decisions.

Also, and I feel like this is true now more than ever, why would anyone listen to this when you could just listen to Marilyn Manson.

June 8th 2019

And holy shit does headaches bassline sound almost exactly like 46 & 2 or is it just me?? lmao

June 8th 2019

Haha they're pretty similar, but different. I swear that song's the first time a bassline has ever gotten a solo spot in risecore history lol

Tb1114
June 8th 2019

the logistical physics of what's going on in the album cover with the palm and the face intrigues me

Hawks

71910 Comments

I actually kinda like this but I can def see why people hate it lol.

Digging: State Faults - Clairvoyant