Xentrix
Bury The Pain

by TheNotrap USER (15 Reviews)
June 7th, 2019 | 42 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Welcome back lads

Formed in 1985 by guitarist and singer Chris Astley, Xentrix was part of the '80s UK thrash generation that included bands such as Sabbat, Onslaught or Acid Reign, a generation that always stood in the shadow of the most popular US and Teutonic thrash metal scenes, that near monopolized the genre. With a Bay Area driven sound, the band's debut Shattered Existence, had a strong acceptance in Europe that welcomed Xentrix as one of the most promising bands within the genre. A year later, the band released the humorous but perfectly expendable single Ghost Busters, a metal version of the popular Ray Parker Jr. hit song, which was part of their live repertoire at the time. Although artistically irrelevant, this cover helped the band to become more popular in Europe, thus raising expectations for Xentrix's sophomore For Whose Advantage?, released in 1990. For Whose Advantage? showed a more polished and sophisticated side, with the peculiarity of having an artwork that escaped the thrash canons of that time, with an explicit political message related to urban capitalism. These first two albums marked their brief peak, as unfortunately the band's next releases were two flops that inevitably led to the end of the band in 1996.

23 years later, when we least expected it, the Brits return with Bury the Pain the band's fifth album and the first of the new millennium. The album's artwork reveals that the once-confident business man of 1990 now appears shattered, being an obvious political criticism of the capitalist and consumerist system of modern urban society, also making an ironic analogy to the band's later years.

After listening to the opener and title track we instantly realize these guys are back in business. The sound swings between the first two albums, it has the energy and spontaneity of Shattered Existence but also the more sophisticated side of For Whose Advantage?. But things really start to heat up with the single "Bleeding Out", which includes one of the album's most appealing riffs, and the vigorous "Let the World Burn". By this time I thought to myself Chris Astley's vocals had aged well, only to immediately realize he's not part of this comeback reunion, which only counts as original members guitarist Kristian "Stan" Havard and drummer Dennis Gasser. Jay Walsh (formerly Blaze Bayley) now holds the microphone and it goes without saying his vocals closely resemble those of Chris, which is perfectly understandable since the aim of the album is to recapture Xentrix's golden age. Songs such as "World of Mouth," "Deathless and Divine," or the ender "Evil By Design" could well have been recorded in the early '90s, and perhaps Bury the Pain was the direction the band should have taken, instead of betting on a more mainstream approach, but I guess we'll never know.

At the end of the day, Bury the Pain is an enjoyable comeback, nothing overly exciting or innovative, as expected, just friends saying "it's been a while, lads" and that's enough for me.

Funeral Mist HekatombMisery Index Rituals of Power
Fleshgod Apocalypse VelenoDeathspell Omega The Furnaces of Palingenesia
Marillion FugaziBolt Thrower War Master

Solid comeback.

You guys can stream the album here:

If someone finds some grammatical errors or sentences that can be improved / optimized, please let me know, I'll fix it.

Digging: Xentrix - Bury The Pain

June 7th 2019

Whoa this is out? On it!

Digging: Hypno5e - Des Deux l'une Est l'autre

Nocte
June 7th 2019

Gave this a miss based purely on the art. Change my mind

Digging: Gnaw Their Tongues - An Eternity Of Suffering, An Eternity Of Pain

June 7th 2019

If you dig their first albums, you might find it solid/interesting

June 7th 2019

Well sheeeiiiitttt I didn't even know they had a new album coming out. No wonder their albums were getting bumped all of a sudden lol

Digging: Paris - Sleeping with the Enemy

StrikeOfTheBeast
June 8th 2019

I didn't even know these guys were back or still around. I'll check it out.

Digging: The Organization - The Organization

June 8th 2019

yeah I think it was a great surprise for everyone, I really loved this band back in the day

StrikeOfTheBeast
June 8th 2019

For Whose Advantage? was my fave from them fo' sho'

June 8th 2019

I slightly prefer the debut, No Compromise is an absolute killer

June 8th 2019

Where are my manners! I legit alt+tabbed to get the album without reading this. Read it earlier and it is a great review man.

June 8th 2019

Hahah thanks man, these guys meant a lot to me back in the day

June 8th 2019

I just got into them thanks to Casavir actually. Casavir is like my old school thrash mentor haha

June 8th 2019

I like Cas but we have few things in common I think, he's a different creature ;)

If you like late '80s Testament, you'll dig this for sure.

June 8th 2019

I heard this once, it wasn't bad actually. But the vocals kind of threw a rod.

June 8th 2019

The vocals are Bay Area Chuck Billy-esque stuff, standard thrash stuff, I dig it.

if you wish check the single out:

June 8th 2019

I still like their debut the most. This is a good return though, well deserved.

June 8th 2019

Their debut is better, that’s a fact.

June 8th 2019

So good but this isn't bad either. I like it when a band comes back and records roots. Unlike Metallica, recording radio rock since 1996.

Casavir
June 8th 2019

Band is entirely inessential but I will check this.

June 8th 2019

I don't think you'll like this Cas lol