Glassing
Spotted Horse

by Slex CONTRIBUTOR (40 Reviews)
June 5th, 2019 | 32 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Soon I’ll see

As someone who considers themselves on the outside looking in when it comes to heavier music, I find myself more and more intoxicated by the growing number of bands who are cross-pollinating genres to thrilling and intriguing effect. It seems the most exciting experimentation in rock music can be found here as bands race each other to find the newest way to combine brutality with beauty, mixing and matching different genres to create something vital and unexpected. Just this year, there have been a number of releases that have done this for me; Together To The Stars juxtaposition of dismal screamo and ascendant alt-flavored black metal, or Saor’s gargantuantly epic and majestic folk metal concoction. I’m told by more seasoned listeners of the genre that these wild combinations are nothing all that new, but as someone on the margins becoming excitedly more in the fold, it’s hard for me to believe, and I’m now tirelessly searching for The Next Big Thing when it comes to music of this nature.

Enter Glassing. Labeled as post-hardcore/metal and sludge, I hear all these and more. There’s an alchemy of differing musical styles on display, but what really keeps me engaged with Spotted Horse is its extreme sense of calm. There are long stretches of melodic, post-rock inspired instrumentals that are more ambient and carefully crafted than anything I’ve recently heard in heavy music. More than that, these sections exist on their own, and not as a prelude to a climax or breakdown; it instead sounds like Glassing is repeatedly shifting the parameters of communication, a feeling compounded by the fact that lyrics are practically indistinguishable, an ingredient in the band’s melting pot of sounds and atmosphere and feelings. Opener ‘When You Stare’ clocks in at 7 minutes, and it uses every second of its runtime, running the gamut from martial drums and squalling guitars to a middle section of bulky riffs and furious vocals to a patient outro of delicate cymbal taps and caverns of scraping guitar noise. You’re never quite on stable ground, and the band is able to keep this feeling of peculiarity and disorientation up for most of Spotted Horse’s runtime. Straight-ahead ragers melt into passages of ‘epic’ droning guitar, gorgeous instrumental movements slowly morph into a wreckage of eviscerating emotion, guttural vocals buried in deep pockets of reverb. The lyrics regularly speak of voids, of seeing and not seeing, and the music follows suit, conjuring chasms of understanding and ghostly beautiful reminisces of serenity and hope. Underneath all of the noise, there’s a dialogue aching to be heard. It’s not quite my language yet, but both the band and I are working to meet one another on the other side, wherever that may be.

State Faults ClairvoyantPalehound Black Friday
Jambinai ONDAJai Paul Leak 04-13 (Bait Ones)
Charly Bliss Young EnoughEmpath Active Listening: Night on Earth

Light and Death

June 5th 2019

Had this one loaded and ready to go so I figured I’d post it before I fuss over it too much

Incredible pxh/screamo/post-rock fusion here

Digging: Joliette - Luz Devora

calmrose
June 5th 2019

just jammed this the other day

good stuff

Digging: Jeromes Dream - LP

Ashtiel
June 5th 2019

didn't think would get a review, joyed to see one written

"Sleeper" and "Follow Through" are breathtaking.

June 5th 2019

Yeah this deserves way more attention, kinda the Rolo Tomassi of this year so far imo

Nocte
June 5th 2019

lovely review and a correct score to boot.

pos'd

June 5th 2019

One review per da...oh it's a slex review. Nevermind. Carry on!

June 5th 2019

Lmao to be fair they were posted on different days

June 5th 2019

Ha! Yeah I know. It just looks suspect cos they're right next to each other. But great review regardless. Even if it wasn't on different days I'd let it slide. ;]

11:59pm and 12:01am

Digging: Sum 41 - Order In Decline

Sniff

band owns

Sowing ya got me

calmrose
June 5th 2019

the atmosphere on this is incredible

June 5th 2019

It really is, I love the long instrumental stretches

Bump

Y’all don’t let this fall by the way side it is so so good

WatchItExplode

*added

June 6th 2019

Hell yeah dude hope u like

FearThyEvil

this shits pretty dope

June 6th 2019

Woah shit! You made contrib! Nice!

Haha thanks my friend

Have you checked this out? Yr music tastes are an enigma to me admittedly but if you like any of the genres mentioned this is a pretty safe bet

clavier
June 6th 2019

great review, considered writing one but haven't really mustered the motivation for it

i like that glassing took a very different turn on this album but i miss the succinctness of their debut, it just seemed to punch harder in a way that this one doesn't

Digging: for your health/Shin Guard - Death of Spring