Le Grand
Plastic Jazz

by Thompson D. Gerhart STAFF
June 2nd, 2019 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Pressing CHON for market share with a top notch upbeat math rock product

I want to have a million little deep things to say about Le Grand and Plastic Jazz, because it's just such a wonderful little record full of intricate moments and melodies tied up into a tight bundle. The conciseness on Plastic Jazz alone is immediately appreciable in the space between progressive rock and math rock where unchecked musical proficiency often gives way to grandiosity. Instead, the Kansas City quintet come across more as a less video game-y CHON (despite the title of opener "Button Mashing") with swerve - and even some wobble - on tracks like the wah heavy "This Shirt Feels Backwards Both Ways."

The energy on Plastic Jazz is almost entirely upbeat, dotted with jazzy melancholy in only the way a few pinches of spice cuts the sweetness in desserts to create a truly a gourmet touch. And though it's full of moments showcasing each player's prowess, the band are wise never to take things over the edge, allowing theme to dictate the flow of each song. Again, it's a subtlety lost on many instrumental endeavors, but this thematic focus, combined with the standard runtimes of each track on the 6 track EP - none less than 3 minutes and none lasting even 4 - makes the album instantly and easily digestible despite intricacies which can easily keep you coming back for more.

While similarities to CHON are hard to ignore, Le Grand certainly put an impressive product on a table only really dominated by one other band. Considering Plastic Jazz is their first offering in the world of high-energy upbeat math rock, full of tippy-tap highs scored by frenetic drumming and bubbly lows, I can only hope that Le Grand forge forward and give us more to stupidly grin at as they evolve. And that their tour dates with TTNG this summer give them the exposure needed to put them over the top in terms of visibility and success.

Steven Page Discipline: Heal Thyself, Pt. IICoheed and Cambria The Unheavenly Creatures
Deafheaven Ordinary Corrupt Human LoveTesseracT Sonder
Metallica The Unnamed FeelingDisperse Foreword
good

AtomicWaste
June 2nd 2019

This is the only kind of thing I really listen to anymore idk

Digging: The Comet Is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of Deep Mystery

June 2nd 2019

this comment is a reminder for me to listen to this tomorrow.

Digging: The St. Pierre Snake Invasion - Caprice Enchanté

GreyShadow
June 2nd 2019

I'm less than a minute into Button Mashing and I'm already in love. this is just what I was in the mood for

Digging: Thank You Scientist - Terraformer

Calc
June 2nd 2019

i hope this doesn't actually sound like CHON but is similar.

Digging: Russian Girlfriends - In The Parlance of Our Times

AtomicWaste
June 2nd 2019

I feel like it's a nearest neighbor situation where the nearest neighbor used to be a good few miles away.

JS19
June 3rd 2019

Chon is not top tier math rock

Digging: Dinosaur Pile-Up - Celebrity Mansions

Bedex
June 3rd 2019

Chon is not top tier math rock [2]

This is very much like CHON but I would not say they are the same. You couldn't mistake one for the other

Digging: Chico Buarque - Chico Buarque de Hollanda

Mort.
June 4th 2019

chon is top tier math rock for people who mistake noodling for complexity and in turn mistake complexity for good songwriting

Digging: Mastodon - Remission

9Hammer
June 4th 2019

Eh, I can dig this a bit. Not too shabby here, though I think the record loses stream around the latter half.

Bedex
June 4th 2019

Yeah the first half was kinda nice but the second half killed it for me

GreyShadow
June 4th 2019

sure CHON isn't top tier, but they're definitely good. you gotta be pretty anti-fun to straight up not like em tbh

Calc
June 4th 2019

they are zzzzzzzz now and slurped too much. but every album they put out I hope they can break out of the rut

June 5th 2019

okay! let's do this. LEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOY....

June 5th 2019

...meh. Very CHON-like. At least I've got chicken.

yeah this is mad boring

Digging: black midi - Schlagenheim

StarvingArtist
June 6th 2019

Certainly not unlike Chon, but I can dig.

ProjectFreak

June 7th 2019

CHON is not top-tier math rock [3]

Josh D.
June 8th 2019

Just started "This Shirt Feels Backwards Both Ways" and immediately did that scrunched face forward head bob thing, this thing funks all sorts of ways, Monday through Friday you're laughin.