Goatmoon
Varjot

by metalhead2425 USER (6 Reviews)
May 31st, 2019 | 70 replies

Review Summary: Finnish black metal mastery

In 2007, Goatmoon surprised the black metal community greatly with the release of Finnish Steel Storm, which expertly combined raw black metal with traditional folk instrumentation and provided further proof that Goatmoon was a force to be reckoned with in the black metal scene. Four years after the release of Finnish Steel Storm Goatmoon released the album’s anticipated follow up, Varjot on Werewolf Records. Upon its release, the album was well received and is considered by many Goatmoon fans to be one of the band’s best albums.

Clocking in at around 34 minutes, Varjot is one of the shortest albums in the Goatmoon catalogue. As the album begins, acoustic guitars play a folk inspired melody that builds over the course of two whole minutes before fading out as sounds of thunder begin to play. Suddenly, a loud crack of thunder is heard as blast beats and black metal riffs kick in starting off the first song on the album, “Storming Through the White Light”. Over these riffs, wind instruments and even a piano play, making it apparent to the listener that the band’s folk sound from their previous album is still fully intact. The song slows down a bit as Blackgoat Gravedesecrator’s (you can’t make these names up) vicious vocals kick in alongside an excellent folk inspired guitar lead. As the song continues, there is more folk instrumentation as it leads into a guitar solo and then into what I can only describe as a keyboard lead. Coming in at around six minutes, the song is an excellent representation of the music on Varjot as a whole. Every song on the album follows this sort of formula, aside from the slow build up. There are often traditional black metal riffs backed by folk instruments that lead into massive guitar solos and some borderline symphonic parts involving keyboards. It is safe to say the overall sound of the album is quite impressive.

As far as individual performances go, Varjot is a tightly executed album. Despite being a multi-instrumentalist himself, Blackgoat once again enlisted the help of several guest musicians to perform on the album. For the first time on a Goatmoon album, there are actually three guitarists playing, with both Blackgoat and a man going by the pseudonym Raakalainen playing rhythm alongside another guy going by the name Avenger handling the lead guitar work. As previously mentioned, the guitar work on the album is fantastic riff-wise and the solos are also quite memorable. Much like the previous album, Blackgoat works a lot of melody into the riffs, making them very enjoyable to listen to. Aside from lead guitar, Avenger also handled both the drumming and keyboards on the album which are both performed very well. His drumming utilizes a lot of blast beats and double bass work that gives the album a lot of punch during the thrash-influenced parts and also keeps the overall sound of the album engaging. His keyboard work sounds great when it it utilized along side Skratt’s flutes and Stormheit’s choir work. One strange thing about the album is that the bass work, performed by Harald Mentor is actually audible throughout the majority of the album despite the harsh production. The bass work on the album, while nothing mind-blowing, sounds great and often compliments the riffs in the songs. Production-wise, the album is pretty rough and could be off putting for listeners who are new to black metal. The guitars emit quite a bit of static and the drums are sometimes hard to make out due to their raw recording quality. Blackgoat’s trademark vocals are also pretty abrasive which could also cause new listeners problems. For black metal fans, the production and vocals are exactly what you want for a raw album and, as a result, these can be seen as either positive or negative aspects of the album.

In the end, Varjot is yet another excellent Goatmoon album that is worth the attention of anyone who is even remotely interested in this band. If you can get past raw production and the racist views that the band expresses, Varjot is definitely worth checking out.

Edge of Sanity CrypticDehumanizing Itatrain Worship μ'sick
Nokturnal Mortum To the Gates of Blasphemous FireNokturnal Mortum NeChrist
Killing Joke Pandemonium

May 30th 2019

Album rules. I was going to review this a while ago but just never got around to it. As always, let me know if I should fix anything.

May 30th 2019

Somehow i've never checked this one out, ill have to jam it soon

May 30th 2019

don't wear their patches tho or you might get kicked out of a show xd xd

Digging: Imha Tarikat - Kara Ihlas

May 30th 2019

Lol true. I find it hilarious how some people at shows are decked out in NS patches. It’s like they are looking for trouble.

May 30th 2019

there was an article about a guy recently who claimed he got thrown out of maryland deathfest bc of his shitty patches lol

May 30th 2019

I was just at a dark funeral/belphegor concert the other day and there were several people covered in patches like that. I haven't read that article but it sounds like it would be an amusing read. I'll have to track it down.

May 30th 2019

I saw a guy straight up wearing a Peste Noire shirt at a Hypocrisy show a while ago. I didn't see any people having problems with it. Maryland must just be posers

May 30th 2019

Maybe the guy at the gate saw it and knew the bands

do people still get offended in 2019

Digging: Karmic Juggernaut - The Dreams That Stuff Are Made Of

Nazzadan
May 30th 2019

Dooright at what point did you go from decent user to Sput's #1 racist and nazi defender and apologist?

Maco097

Ultra boring band.

May 30th 2019

i mean people were assuming it was bullshit and the guy was being an asshole first, got his patch mentioned by security second.

May 30th 2019

I used to be decent? Hmm, that’s far fetched

May 30th 2019

@zaruyache I can totally see that. The guy probably deserved it.

May 30th 2019

What's with the hate here? Goatmoon is about peace

and understanding

May 31st 2019

were forgetting tolerance and love

I’m all about peace too

seems like Nazz is trying to kill the peace

May 31st 2019

I don’t even know who he is, one day he just started following me around and talking nonesense

May 31st 2019

Maybe you'll find this useful: