Fleshgod Apocalypse
Veleno

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (276 Reviews)
May 28th, 2019 | 78 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Awash of the typical poisonous Fleshgod flair.

Since 2007, Fleshgod Apocalypse have been trying to force squares and circles together. I don't mean that in the literal "one plus two equals five" sort of way, but rather the death metal meets a symphony of classical arrangements in a whirlwind of saturation and overblown grandeur. It sounds harsh, like marrying a fish dish with cheese… and in the wrong instance it can be poison.

Often criticized for doing too much with too much, Fleshgod have always had an eye for cinematic chaos. The headway made on their debut, Oracles was steeped in the potential for a band that could actually combine the ferocity and technical semblance of death metal with the grace and grandiosity of operatic vocals and classical composition while both Labyrinth and King dial everything with intensity up to fourteen (out of ten just so you know…) crushing the listener sonically with little room to breathe under the suffocating multifaceted beast that calls itself Fleshgod Apocalypse. Despite this, Veleno sees Fleshgod Apocalypse mature into their fifth full length, seeing a natural easement of sound while standing true to an essence of opposites attracting.

For those considering the comparison between the group's earlier releases and the current face of the band's branding there's actually very little that differs on paper. The classical components are pushed the forefront, competing wholy with sweeps, blast beats and deathly growls. The operatic leads are clean and precise, performed with excellence in mind. In many ways, Veleno is the logical progression from the pulverising King. However it's the noticeable difference in layering weight that works completely in Veleno's favour. Sure all the flourishes that make this Perugia act so self definable pop up at almost every instance but the new album simply breathes better, allowing the sum of its parts to shine, competing with the next sparingly. "Fury" begins the record quite conventionally, thunderous riffs meet piano flourishes and the roar of Francesco Paoli. But it's "Sugar" where listeners can fully appreciate the true poison of Veleno. The downright straightforwardness of the band's death metal parts play off intricate melodies and a veritable rollercoaster of orchestral nuances. As a separate entity, the track itself feels organic, more natural and less worked on. It's showcasing a band becoming more accessible for all the right reasons, leading easily back into a play of sounds in "Monnalisa" and the typical landscape of Fleshgod Apocalypse soundscapes.

The now organic feeling Veleno presents only grows with repeated listens. Francesco Ferrini's orchestral accompaniments are no longer fighting for the limelight, now complimenting the outpouring of gravitational brutality proving that there is a better balance of sound than the band's former records. This allows the portrait to become lush, vivid and focused without forcing the listener to separate, exact and dissect in order to enjoy Fleshgod for the band they are trying to be. We're also not getting bludgeoned to death with Veronica Bordacchini's stunning soprano vocal dexterity which only adds to the level headedness of Veleno's design. There's no doubt that Miss Veronica has immense talent, but like Labyrinth and King have shown us before there can often be "too much" of a good thing.

When the sum of all Fleshgod Apocalypse's parts are considered together on their 2019 effort, the wholesome dexterity offered with simplicity and maturity offer an album both enjoyable and all together easier to digest than the band's catalogue. There may be a slight step down here in terms of pure layered technicalities, but it comes with a moderate improvement of overall quality. If this album is poison I'll take another carafe.

Flub FlubKrypts Cadaver Circulation
Darkthrone Old StarDeath Angel Humanicide
After the Burial EvergreenEluveitie Ategnatos
TheNotrap (4)
Poisonous symphony...

May 27th 2019

Didn't want to take Notraps spot off him but like the guy said if we listen to to the same stuff I'm bound to occasionally bruise a toe or two.

Digging: Gnaw Their Tongues - An Eternity Of Suffering, An Eternity Of Pain

Scheumke
May 28th 2019

Great review. I love the fact that they finally seem to show a little restraint when it comes to applying their orchestral elements. Instead of stamping it on anything and everything, on this they only use it when it actually makes sense, and give the 'metal' more room to breathe. The orchestral elements have more impact when they do get applied in the process.

Digging: Thank You Scientist - Terraformer

May 28th 2019

I'm not even sure if it's restraint per se. They've simply not tried as hard. Whatever the methodology I can definitely agree it's working for them here

TheNotrap
May 28th 2019

Being the first to review it doesn't mean I have the album's reviewing rights ;)

I read it later but I'm sure it's a great review as always.

Digging: Panzerfaust - The Suns of Perdition - Chapter I: War, Horrid War

May 28th 2019

Thanks Notrap, album doesn't have too much attention at the moment but hopefully the discussion will kick off soon

2036 Comments

Album's awesome, one of the band's strongest outputs.

Digging: Sectioned (Metalcore) - Annihilated

2036 Comments

review is really cool as well. I love the album's cover art too.

May 28th 2019

yeah band deserves more love on the site. great review and awesome album

Digging: Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas

May 28th 2019

Can't decide between this one and Agony for my favourite Fleshgod. This one's got more variation for sure tho

May 28th 2019

this is indeed a really mature effort, "Sugar" is especially... sweet.

2036 Comments

Honestly this was the natural evolution I was expecting, otherwise things would have started getting stale. Really a nice job

May 28th 2019

I agree. I can't wait to catch them on the road btw!

2036 Comments

hell yeah, u italian bro? if that's so, see you to the show! I just hope they'll play in northern Italy as well

I live near Milan, so I'm quite sure I'll get to see them

2036 Comments

probably that'll be the case! Alcatraz I guess! Well at least we have Machine Head playing here in Padua in October! Probably I'll go to Milan to see Fleshgod if they play there. They're always amazing live

May 28th 2019

maybe it's an offtopic, but what is happening with Batushka having two new releases?

2036 Comments

whoa, average is fine by now, I just hope it won't be brought down by people spamming 1s and 2s

TheNotrap
May 28th 2019

Fleshgod on the trending albums

Nice

Hawks
May 28th 2019

In my defense the first album is really a 1 for me lol.

Digging: State Faults - Clairvoyant

Rowhaus
May 28th 2019

god that artwork is sick

Digging: Hangman's Chair - Banlieue Triste