Deathspell Omega
The Furnaces of Palingenesia

by TheNotrap USER (50 Reviews)
May 25th, 2019 | 384 replies

Release Date: 05/24/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Behold the colossal return of chaos, darkness and pain, behold, hear and bow.

Deathspell Omega needs no detailed introduction, since it's one of the most respected bands of the European underground extreme metal scene. The little information available about the band and the fact they have never played live also helped to feed the mystery and cult around Deathspell Omega, and yes, the cult is real, only something truly respected could influence as many bands as Altarage, Artificial Brain, Suffering Hour, among others.

After all, when you think dissonant you think Deathspell Omega.

I've been listening to their albums over the past few years but the band's more abstract and dissonant side has always kept me from wanting to explore it more deeply, it required an effort and focus that for one reason or another was not willing to give. Everything changed when I heard
"Ad Arma! Ad Arma!". The Furnaces of Palingenesia single featured a more catchy and straightforward side of the band I'd never heard of and it was the trigger that led me to revisit their most relevant discography more closely.

The Furnaces of Palingenesia is everything I expected after hearing the single, a less abstract musical approach, while keeping the band's DNA and the structural elements of their music intact. As if an abstract surrealist painter decided to bet on more evident, contrasting and visible forms, but maintaining the dark colors palette of his previous work. It's a new period, a slight change in style, but the artistic language remains the same.

Yes, The Furnaces of Palingenesia is a triumphant return. Its seductive dissonant abstractionism surrounds us like a cloak of darkness and its intriguing melodic adventurism on songs such as "1523" or "You Cannot Even Find the Ruins…" create an interesting contrast and represent an unexpected but pleasant new approach for the band.

My friends, Deathspell Omega is back, behold the colossal return of chaos, darkness and pain, behold, hear and bow.

Wake Devouring RuinSkam Sounds of a Disease
White Stones KuarahyAeternam Al Qassam
Afterbirth Four Dimensional FleshDark Fortress Spectres from the Old World
Eons (4)
The Furnaces of Palingenesia exists as a dissertation to the listener, from the perspective of a tyr...

MiloRuggles (5)
Pssst. Hey, kid. You wanna hear about Palingenesia?...

May 25th 2019

English is not my first language, so my sentences are quite simple and basic, but I did my best ;)

If someone finds some grammatical error or sentences that can be improved / optimized, please let me know, I'll fix it.

Digging: Wake - Devouring Ruin

faith

Digging: Hallas - Conundrum

[2]

necropig
May 25th 2019

Rules. Sorry for my bad english

Digging: Sentient Divide - Haunted by Cruelty

t

a

n

May 25th 2019

Cheers guys and thanks trilo ;)

Demon of the Fall
May 25th 2019

Pos, concise but nicely written. I was waiting for this review.

Album rules, it’ll be interesting to see where it settles but I really like this ‘new-ish’ direction. Nice balance between their older dissonance and the slightly more accessible (almost catchy) slant you alluded to in the review. The atmosphere is there, for me, I don’t mind that it doesn’t go ballistic so consistently.

Digging: Flourishing - The Sum of All Fossils

same

Thanks Demon.

I totally agree when you say the album gets a good balance between the old and this new more accessible approach. It's great when a band doesn’t play it safe.

BigPleb

I love metal.

Lord(e)Po)))ts

cool story Brick Tamland

Digging: Oren Bloedow and Jennifer Charles - Convivencia

mindleviticus
May 25th 2019

jesus this may be the best DsO album yet

Totengott

Pos, album rules.

Azog
May 25th 2019

This band never disappoints.

Correct.

WretchedCacophony
May 26th 2019

How in the hell is this still a 4.3? Its THAT good?? I have to listen more...

May 26th 2019

I wouldn’t take it over Paracletus but this, Synarchy and Fas are all damn close.

Jacquibim
May 26th 2019

Kinda wish this was more aggressive

Synarchy with this kinda production would've been A1

Digging: Ulcerate - Stare Into Death and Be Still

May 26th 2019

Idk bro it seems pretty aggressive to me just in a different way than the past few albums. I dig the direction they went in for sure though. Band can do no wrong imo.