Full of Hell
Weeping Choir

by Dewinged CONTRIBUTOR (58 Reviews)
May 21st, 2019 | 418 replies

Release Date: 05/17/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Fangs deep through your bleeding neck.

Weeping Choir is a venomous bite. It's a sound that will nibble away the little mental health you have left if you have been dosing yourself with it for as long as the band has been pumping it. Ten years of storms and several abrasive plots with noise apostles like Merzbow and The Body have brought Full of Hell to record one of the best albums they have ever written.

Their latest release embodies everything they have said and done up to this point in their career, cranked and refined. The grindcore is faster, the sludge is back, thicker and wiser, and the walls of noise are as impenetrable as they can possibly be. Combine these three cores and what you have is Full of Hell's best possible incarnation. Here are some reasons why:

From the very first second, a blast beat fires up at full speed pulled by dissonant, razor cutting guitars. Dylan Walker's deranged shrieks and beastly growls (probably bass master Sam’s) battle their way through opener "Burning Myrrrh" like a mouth foaming creature chasing its own shadow until it has devoured it. That's just the first contact. No build up nonsense, no intro, no warnings or time to prepare; venom's in, so sit back and suck it all!

"Haunted Arches" starts right away and ends in a hot minute, first half trying to burst your veins, and the other half successfully breaching through with a spiraling, vertigo inducing guitar riff that leads into "Thundering Hammers". Time for old school death metal and pummeling beats that show Full of Hell has no intention to let go. While Weeping Choir is mainly fueled by shot bursts of grindcore and blackened death metal like these in the vein of Cephalic Carnage, or the most hilarious manifestations of Agoraphobic Nosebleed, there are a few moments of clarity that give Weeping Choir that very special and unique taste.

Echoes of previous bromances with The Body come in the form of tracks like "Rainbow Coil", which is an insane three-minute slab of noise and industrial shenanigans, and the saturated torment of "Angels Gather Here". God knows these two bands were meant for each other. Meanwhile, "Armory of Obsidian Glass" is an easy standout, featuring seven rare minutes of phantasmagorical sludge and a black metal finale that constitute one of the best tracks the band has ever produced.

Weeping Choir easily stands as one, if not the most, prominent metal release of 2019. It's a road to extreme metal paradise for fans of the genre courtesy of a band at the top of their game, and by how things are looking for them, with promising collaborations in the near future with artists like Lingua Ignota, Full of Hell is the name of a scar that will hardly disappear anytime soon.

Mizmor CairnFire! Orchestra Arrival
オオハシ (Ohashi) 波のはじまり (Nami no Hajimari)Secret Chiefs 3 Book M
Ioanna Gika ThalassaHellripper Black Arts and Alchemy
Kenneth Timper (4)
Taking a bite of the forbidden fruit....

May 21st 2019

Let's just forget about all the nonsense I've written above and let's just gush about how GOOD is "Armory of Obsidian Glass".

Stream on bandcamp: https://fullofhell.bandcamp.com/album/weeping-choir

"Burning Myrrrh" if you want to use it as your alarm from now on:

Digging: Chelsea Wolfe - Birth of Violence

calmrose

oh hell yeah, nice

"let's just gush about how GOOD is "Armory of Obsidian Glass"

absolutely stunning song

Digging: Cave In - Final Transmission

Nocte
May 21st 2019

That didn't take you long, taking a read now

May 21st 2019

Rushed and probably a mess, like always my man.

JayEnder
May 21st 2019

Easily AOTY for me so far. This album is just putrid. Thundering Hammers is so god damn metal. m/

Also great review Dewinged. Fucking killer summary too man.

Digging: clipping. - There Existed an Addiction to Blood

Nocte
May 21st 2019

I am expecting to see this on about a thousand year end lists.

May 21st 2019

Cheers Jay, And yeah Noct, this thing is a beast, or at least that's how I feel about it, almost half year in. Still plenty of stuff to come though.

is this better than the last one? :0

Space Jester

Yes, easily

dang :0 !

Hell yes.

cvlts
May 21st 2019

Review reads like this is Trumpeting Ecstacy pt2 which is cool but not what I had been hoping for tbh.

Digging: Gatecreeper - Deserted

May 21st 2019

Not what I intended cvlts. I said this is the culmination of all the music they released so far. Trumpeting was a non stop assault. It's an incredible album but rarely plays with dynamics. This one does it.

Space Jester

How’s that

JayEnder
May 21st 2019

This is better than Trumpeting for sure. And I thought I loved that album... this one is a whole new level of fuckery.

cvlts
May 21st 2019

Oh, don’t mistake what I’m saying as some sort of criticism of the review. It’s very well written. It just reads exactly how I would’ve described Trumpeting Ecstacy the first time I heard it.

I’ll be checking this out very soon.

Scoot