Eluveitie
Ategnatos

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (276 Reviews)
May 17th, 2019 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Eluveitie finally come home.

When Anna Murphy left Eluveitie a few years back I'll admit that part of the band's quintessential essence left with her. Sure, the music that followed in the vein of Evocation II: Pantheon continued in the same typical hurdy-gurdy vein full of bombastic flutes and Celtic mythology but the proverbial revolving door of members added a more decisive and forced sound at complete odds with the cohesive days of Slania (an album which helped launch this Zurich based act to international stardom). Ategnatos however sees Eluveitie come back to a semblance of its former design, without dropping the band's newly found flair for vaguely represented pagan mythos. Ategnatos stands as the group's more rounded, immersive listen that maintains deeper roots to the early days of Eluveitie.

That being said, Eluveitie's most recent studio effort is a rather superfluous, yet highly memorable affair built on the brick by brick songwriting styles that has carried (even if by a somewhat self-plagiarised manner) Eluveitie to the golden halls of pagan filled glory. Ategnatos lives and dies by the vague ethos steeped in historic culture, bolstered only by memorable songwriting and the fans need to be a part of the story. Where the spoken words meet melodeath folk-dom Eluveitie soar into the realms of their own popularity, recalling Slania indirectly into their modern being. While "Deathwalker" thunders into the mindset of a world made new by melodeath there's an air that it's all been done before (mostly, because it has), but Ategnatos neither builds or suffers because of it. The triumph of "A Cry In The Wilderness" is overshadowed by the fact that even the best used formulas can become too much, overused and tired - no matter how enjoyable something is at the very core.

Eluveitie's best and worst features comes in its ability to combine the epic with the "just right". The Randy Blythe featured "Worship" include the album's most enjoyable thrash-y melodeath and insane amounts of biblical-styled cringe (talk about over done) but it's not until "Ambiramus" do the band's listeners find themselves completely invested in the new age of Eluveitie's member structuring. Stunning flutes bleed infectious melody before Fabienne Erni's lush highs take centre stage here, there and everywhere. The sum of all Ategnatos' parts leave fans in utmost satisfaction while outsiders still recognise that Eluveitie's pagan drenched folkened metal slaunch can still kick their Swedish melodeath countrymen (probably looking at you In Flames…) right in the proverbial tuchus. Ategnatos is more memorable than Eluveitie's last efforts combined, and enjoyable when not taken overly seriously.

Flub FlubKrypts Cadaver Circulation
Darkthrone Old StarDeath Angel Humanicide
Fleshgod Apocalypse VelenoAfter the Burial Evergreen

May 17th 2019

Had to submit this on my phone because of reaons, let me know if you see something

Digging: Gnaw Their Tongues - An Eternity Of Suffering, An Eternity Of Pain

TheNotrap
May 17th 2019

I like these nice short and to the point reviews, good work as always

I love this album more than most of the sputbros. A Cry in the Wilderness, Threefold Death and the title track are my fav songs

Digging: Panzerfaust - The Suns of Perdition - Chapter I: War, Horrid War

May 17th 2019

I do too, but even I'll admit the experimental side of the band fizzled years ago

Hawks

71911 Comments

Gotta get on this. I’ve only heard their first 2 albums but both are amazing.

Awesome review as always bro. m/

Digging: State Faults - Clairvoyant

Thanks Hawksie

TundraL5Z
May 18th 2019

I'll check this again soon, maybe it will grow on me, but from what I got from the album so far, so many songs ended right as they were getting good, and it pissed me off lol

budgie

gallic > norse

Digging: Claire Cronin - Big Dread Moon

ScuroFantasma
May 19th 2019

Can't wait to give this a go soon

Digging: Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene

May 19th 2019

Surprised you haven't already, couldn't blast this between sponge baths mate?

Been missing you around the threads. Hope things are back up

ScuroFantasma
May 19th 2019

Haha, I could probably squeeze it in, man there's just so much stuff to check out lately and life has gotten busy (and inconvenient) all of a sudden.

May 19th 2019

Can relate (probably for different reasons though)

Do what you gotta do man, and come back to a sense of normalcy bit by bit

Dewinged
May 20th 2019

Just heard the opener off this and sounds like really good fun. Added to the jam list. Great review!

May 20th 2019

Just heard the opener off this and sounds like really good fun.

Thanks Dewi, if you haven't had a chance to listen to these guys before I highly reccomend starting with Spirit or Slania and then coming back to the modern releases.

Dewinged
May 20th 2019

It shall be done, in that order!

May 20th 2019

Let me know how you go my man

Hertzy
May 23rd 2019

I think I actually prefer Fabienne to Anna!