The Wildhearts
Renaissance Men

by SitarHero CONTRIBUTOR (60 Reviews)
May 13th, 2019 | 75 replies

Release Date: 05/03/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Riff after riff after motherf*cking riff, or, why The Wildhearts can't be destroyed

The Wildhearts are one of rock ’n’ rolls greatest almost-weres. They got their start in the early ‘90s, when their fusion of metallic hard rock riffs, snarling punky sardonicism, power pop melodic sensibilities, and more hooks than a fisherman’s convention, seemed almost perfectly constructed to shoot them to stardom. Yet the band somehow managed to miss the boat to worldwide relevance and petered out as a popular cult act thanks to record label feuding, intra-band tension, and a cocktail of drug addictions. Nearly thirty years later, and a decade after their last release, the band’s music is almost aggressively out of style, but instead of making concessions to popular trends The Wildhearts have returned once again to save twenty-first century rock music from its joyless, feckless, humourless modern self, by serving up some proper rock ’n’ roll filled to the brim with monstrous arena-sized riffs, Friday night pub-shoutalong choruses, and palpable anger sharpened by frontman Ginger Wildheart’s ageless wit.

From the get-go Ginger and crew take unabashed aim at everything they think ails the world, from online bullying (“Dislocated”), to depression, suicide and drug prescription-culture (“Diagnosis” and “Fentanyl Babylon”), to people with racist, misogynistic and homophobic tendencies (“Let ‘Em Go” and “My Side of the Bed”). Despite the overt cynicism of some of the lyrical matter the songs still exude a kind of resilient optimism and positivity that’s buoyed by the upbeat melodies and riffs. Renaissance Men doesn’t get bogged down by the dark side of life in 2019; it takes it in stride and endeavours to overcome it. Some of its message is a tad diluted by a little too much mawkishness—despite their snarky wit, The Wildhearts have always had a mile-wide sentimental streak—but even at its most kumbaya, Renaissance Men has enough energy and infectious melodicism to lend it an air of unapologetic sincerity.

Possibly the biggest compliment one can give an album by a band this deep into their career is that, if you had never listened to them before, this would be a great place to start listening. This definitely holds true of Renaissance Men. Songs like the title-track, “Dislocation”, “Diagnosis”, and "Pilo Erection", are the perfect distillation of everything that makes The Wildhearts special. “Let ‘Em Go” even has a classic potty-mouthed refrain (“Let ‘em go / let ‘em go / let the sh!t-filled rivers flow”) that taps into the same dumb-funny-catchy vein of lyrical gold as “My Baby is a Headf*uck” off 1993’s Earth vs. The Wildhearts. At its best, Renaissance Men is another gleaming feather in the cap of a band that is, in some alternate dimension, enjoying all the success that the Foo Fighters are enjoying in our own, and at its worst it’s a hark back to a simpler time when the only requisites for a raucous good time were an electric guitar, a thunderous backbeat, and a simple melody.

You can stream the album here:

The Contortionist Our BonesHe Is Legend White Bat
Destrage The Chosen OneSolitude Aeturnus Beyond the Crimson Horizon
Periphery Periphery IV: Hail StanDevin Townsend Empath

Goddamn is this fun!

A Wildhearts review in 2019, yowzers

May 13th 2019

I'm as surprised as you are tbh. This thing is a gem!

May 13th 2019

I only got four songs in the other day but I'll give it a full listen on the morrow

And then read the review ;D

May 13th 2019

Not gonna lie, it definitely occurred to me that you and zak would enjoy this. xD

Voivod

Excellent/informative review, mindpos.

I remember these guys being promoted by MTV's Headbangers' Ball back in the early '90s.

For those interested, the album is streaming below:

Digging: Apparatus - Yonder Yawns the Universe

Kingdok
May 13th 2019

Great review, spot on. The band that got me into heavy music with Earth vs, think this is their best album since phuq. Can't get enough of My Kinda Movie in particular.

May 13th 2019

@Voivod: Thanks for the link! I added it to the review.

@Kingdok: Completely agreed. This is definitely their best since PHUQ.

zakalwe

Exciting review

Band is real deal

May 13th 2019

Ha! I had a feeling you'd chime in zak. xD

TheNotrap

Your summary riffs hard

I think I never heard these guys

Digging: Vitriol (USA) - To Bathe From the Throat of Cowardice

May 13th 2019

Haha! I'm riffing (pun intended!) on a couple of The Wildhearts' own album titles. You should check this album out, or check out their first 2 albums. If you like loud guitars and a good time this band delivers like crazy.

TheNotrap
May 13th 2019

Sounds rock'n' roll SH, will jam it

therapy20
May 13th 2019

Pleased someone has reviewed this, an overlooked gem of a band. Love this album.

May 13th 2019

I'm pleased there are actually still people on the site who remember The Wildhearts and appreciate this.

Dewinged
May 14th 2019

Nice review dude. It's nice to see these guys are still going strong, specially after Ginger constantly dealing with depression.

Digging: Kayo Dot - Blasphemy

Bloon
May 14th 2019

"...take unabashed aim at... ...online bullying..."
oh no

Digging: Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb

May 14th 2019

Great review - like the album a fair bit. Early days.

manosg
May 14th 2019

Love your summary, Sitar. Need to check this one.

Digging: Leonard Cohen - Live in London

BigHans
May 14th 2019

Summary obligates me to jam this