Fallujah
Undying Light

1.0
awful

by Hawks USER (117 Reviews)
May 11th, 2019 | 145 replies

Release Date: 03/15/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Fallujah continues to fall into the same traps that have doomed their entire career.

Sometimes I just don’t get the hype surrounding certain bands. When you think of progressive death metal bands such as Opeth or Akercocke you think of majestic atmospheres mixed with some experimental bits and riffs that are engaging that will draw ou into their albums. Fallujah is one of those bands where I just never understood the hype. Generic, drawn out riffs, non-powerful vocals and just an overall boring listen. Well, they haven’t changed my mind in the least bit with their new album Undying Light. In fact, they’ve just made things worse.

The main gripe I have with this particular album is that every single song here sounds exactly the same. No, I’m not kidding or taking my negative bias towards them into account when I say this. There’s little to no variation from track to track. Every single riff on this album sounds exactly the same as the track that came before or after it. The vocals aren’t abysmal, but they’re nowhere near as powerful as you would expect from a top tier death metal band. Progressive death metal is supposed to transcend the genre to another level. When you think of how many times a band like Opeth changes their sound just in the realm of a single track and then you listen to something like this, it’s really a shame. There’s not a single moment on Undying Light where you’ll say to yourself “wow I’ve never heard that before!” It’s just the same simple riffs over and over and over again backed up with the same monotonous vocals and breakdowns that you’ve heard a trillion times before. The production is way too clean and is devoid of any type of atmosphere whatsoever that you would expect from a band that is labeled as “progressive” death metal.

Let me be fair though, I’ve never liked this band. I’ve always thought they were just another generic death metal band. I was hoping that maybe something would change my mind but this album has done the exact opposite of that. There’s no hope to be found. There’s no light at the end of the tunnel. It’s just another Fallujah album. Only this time there are zero redeeming qualities. That might excite some of you and if it does then god help you. I just have never and will never see the appeal of anything they have done.

If you’re the type of person that digs generic death metal devoid of any type of variation or excitement then Undying Light is absolutely the album for you. However, if you like your death metal with some punch, tasty riffage and/or captivating atmosphere that you can get lost in, then stay far away from this album/band in general.

Akasha Canticles of the Sepulchral DeitySerpent Of Gnosis As I Drink from the Infinite Well of Inebriation
Cradle of Filth ThornographyJanusz Jurga Hypnowald

I hate this band but m/

They are god awful lol.

bowlofsoup
May 11th 2019

Actually liked this band a lot, but I agree with this being bad.

HarryBoBerry
May 11th 2019

Pos simply for taking time out of your life to write up something for this abysmal album. Someone had to do it! I share your sentiments, although I like some of their previous material.

Thanks bros. m/

Azog
May 11th 2019

Yeah but isn't it amazing, how something this loud and annoying and all over the place, can be so god damn boring? By giving us just about everything, they actually give us nothing. NOTHING!

May 11th 2019

Literally nothing except the same boring riffs and song structures.

May 11th 2019

Lol I actually kinda dug this album

Digging: Wire - Pink Flag

Damn Blocster.

Azog
May 11th 2019

LOL I just lowered my rating

Good choice. m/

Azog, The Lowerer

Ninjahague

oh yeah

this exists

May 11th 2019

Ghost negs from fanboys for the win. m/

METALFACE666

review sucks

Lmao

METALFACE666

m/

[2]

mindleviticus
May 11th 2019

holy shit someone finally reviewed this