Mayhem
Psywar

by garas USER (8 Reviews)
May 9th, 2019 | 5 replies

Release Date: 2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The blitz before the warfare.

Mayhem, the band which doesn't need any introduction, always somehow re-wrote, or at least added something new to the concept of black metal with their progressive approach - noone can deny this. This was true to this little EP as well, these two songs brought the first earnests of the upcoming warfare, offering something new and fresh after 7 years of silence back then.

The EP consist, as mentioned before, only two songs: 'Psywar', taken from 'Esoteric Warfare', but with an alternative mastering; and 'From Beyond the Event Horizon' which was recorded back in 2012, in Budapest, when the band had one of its first demoing-songwriting sessions for their 5th album (this song can be found only in this EP).

The overall sound is very similar to the LP (duh): the unorthodox, somehow unpredictable song-structures make this a pleasant listen who like progressive taste in their black metal. But there are some differences, which are coming from the different mix and mastering (everyting is mastered by Teloch): the EP is more shady, sinister but probably more atmospheric. Compared to the LP, the drums and Attila's vocals are a bit less dominant and alltogether what you can hear is slightly more "blunt", or in other words, "less cutting" - if you know what I mean. But this is not bad at all: everyting is well organised and balanced, the whole sound is tight and clean, even the demoed second song - which might have been a huge step forward from 'Ordo ad Chao' back then. I'd like to also highlight the fact that the bass is more audible; especially in 'From Beyond the Event Horizon' adds a lot to the overall atmosphere, moving slowly in the background. Furthermore, of course, we can't overlook the fact: this short EP was Teloch's first appearance with the band. And he did a great job filling Blasphemer's emptied position: he delivered the first foretastes of some exciting riffs, both in technical and atmospheric aspects as well.

To cut it short now, 'Psywar' is just as great as 'Esoteric Warfare': the blitz before warfare which is worthy for a listen - at least just for the song 'From Beyond the Event Horizon'.
Bonus points for the sick artwork.

Satanic Warmaster NachzehrerMetallica Jump in the Fire
Wormsblood Bounds BeatenDarkthrone Hate Them
Saturne IDarkeater Что помнит лес

garas
May 9th 2019

Positive criticism is always welcomed, and please tell if there are any mistakes or murky phrases!

Digging: Krampusnacht - Trinity : I - The Father

Hawks

Pos ahrd. m/

Digging: Cradle of Filth - Cruelty and the Beast - Re-Mistressed

May 9th 2019

I mean I dug Esoteric Warfare so I’m guessing I’ll dig this?

pos’d

Digging: Sarcasm (SWE) - Esoteric Tales of the Unserene

May 9th 2019

ah and it looks like the first track is on the LP too

really wish it was a rule where the ep’s only contained unique tracks not found on LP’s

garas
May 10th 2019

Yeah, you can find the 'Psywar' track on the LP too, but I wouldn't say they are the same, due to their different mastering. (I think, I prefer this one)

Btw, stream here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or6SqCl9aIk