Ataraxie
Résignés

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (302 Reviews)
May 7th, 2019 | 22 replies

Release Date: 03/08/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The cold march of death...

The realms of funeral doom metal have always pushed at the very core of tolerant listening and at one hour and twenty-four minutes, Ataraxie’s Résignés stands resolute in a fixture of ill-boding attitude and longing despair. With a penchant bordering on the ultimate excessiveness the oft minimalism that leans towards the inevitability of death, Résignés leaves out all the trivially based realms of positivity and replaces it with a heavy footed march to the headsman’s block. The void of suffering, loss and pain that leads squarely into the ever expanding shadow of French-doomsters Ataraxie’s discography increases, but doesn’t exceed its predecessor.

Despite this, Résignés is a treat (as long as you’re into drawn out periods of loss and anguish) that grips the core of human emotion, resenting the brink just enough to disregard it completely. For most listeners, it’s going to come down to the sheer engagement, where immersive platitudes meet layered atmospherics and downright minimalism. “People Swarming, Evil Ruling” defines the very immersive essence that Ataraxie provide. "Coronation of Leeches” however, simulates a surrealist companionship between the realms of clarity and pure dissonance while incorporating how life can be balanced on a knife’s edge. The latter half of the track especially showcases the oft visceral, primal qualities of the human condition, without becoming too detached from our quieter, more purer mindsets. It's a formula often taken for granted but all the more perfected here.

Whether it be the immersive planes that Ataraxie parallel with fear and imperfection, adding dread to a world of uncertainty or the spiral of decay only released when our last breath expires, Résignés deforms and yet defines our capacity to be human. Combining the marching dread of the title track or the monolithic pandering of tracks like "Les affres du trepas", Résignés manages to paint a portrait of black and grey. It's this noir that traps, presses and suffocates its listeners into an unyielding bleak.

Fen The Dead LightRorcal Muladona
B.B. King LucilleSlow (BE) VI – Dantalion
Esoteric A Pyrrhic ExistenceAlcest Spiritual Instinct

May 7th 2019

Love this album, hate this review

Saweet

TheNotrap
May 7th 2019

Solid stuff, even though I've never been able to hear the whole album right through to the end, it takes some patience.

Unjustified hate, good job.

Digging: Unfathomable Ruination - Enraged & Unbound

Elynna
May 7th 2019

Wonderful review for a terrific slab of doom

Digging: Beltaine - Rockhill

Dewinged
May 7th 2019

I'm suprised of not seeing Hawks here yet.

Nice to see you writing again Noct! Don't know if I'm gonna have what it takes to traverse this one but I'm gonna give it a shot.

Digging: Common Holly - When I say to you Black Lightning

SitarHero
May 8th 2019

"Love this album, hate this review"

Ha! I gotta say, the review is a pretty dense and challenging read. Was that meant the reflect how challenging the album is to listen to?

May 8th 2019

Agreed whole heartedly Sitar, I'm trying to push through the rough end of a writer's block and so far I've only achieved to push statements together without too much flow or cohesion.

I mean it works, but as we can both see I'm not happy with it.

Also, Hawks only comes when summoned. Hawks where you at?

SitarHero
May 8th 2019

Oh dang. If you figure out how to overcome writer's block let me know the secret! For what it's worth it definitely doesn't seem like you have writer's block. :]

May 9th 2019

I'll push through it, at the very least I can keep bumping doom albums like this

Dewinged
May 9th 2019

In the mud myself. I think that review an album comp and the Secret Chiefs album killed me for a while. I can't seem to overcome it.

Relinquished

yo @hawks

Hawks
May 9th 2019

Finally a review!!! Sup Wolfe???

Relinquished
May 9th 2019

sup dude, just provin to nocte who has the leash here ;)

Hawks

Hahahaha ily bro. m/

Hawks has always favoured the more OG I guess lol

TheBarber
May 12th 2019

A beaut. The two new guitarists are perfecting their sound in such an awesome way. Thus if anything they have gained in mystery with this release and I'm eating it up.

Digging: Deathprod - Occulting Disk

Firedust
May 12th 2019

One of the best albums released this year. Holy fuck.

Top 20 for me so far, a lot more to look forward to

Firedust
May 12th 2019

Top 3 for me, but I'm a sucker for all things bleak and atmospheric. This shits on that Evoken album from last year.

May 13th 2019

Easily, but for different reasons