Amon Amarth
Berserker

by Poet USER (47 Reviews)
May 3rd, 2019 | 146 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Yes, it is an Amon Amarth album. However, the band decides to shift things up a little bit to make their most accessible album to date.

Since their 2006 release With Oden on Our Side Amon Amarth has consistently been one of the best metal bands on the planets. Their musical switch from a plodding melodic death metal band that encompassed The Avenger until Fate of Norns (with a few balls to the wall songs per album) into the musical equivalent of death metal Iron Maiden increased their fan base (including this reviewer who jumped on board in 2008) and popularity dramatically. However, this has not curtailed criticism from the metal community who mention the similarities and repetitive nature of songs that have come to define the band’s sound. Will their eleventh full length album Berserker change the doubters"

Well….maybe" Make no mistake; this is an Amon Amarth album through and through albeit with some minor musical nuances to shift up the sound a little bit. Opener “Fafner’s Gold” is the first time the band has tried the “Battery” approach; a nice acoustic beginning to offset the frantic pace of the rest of the song, which is on par with other opening songs from these Swedes. “Crack the Sky” is a conglomeration of Mastadon (which might be intentional) and a power metal song while “Skoll and Hati” is the band’s best impersonation of Iron Maiden to date. These other clear influences are not criticisms of the album as a whole though. In fact, Berserker feels and sounds more streamlined than any previous Amon Amarth record.

Nevertheless, the main aspects that have made Amon Amarth’s sound for close to three decades remain intact. Catchy yet crunchy riffs combined with Johan Hegg’s growls are at a premium here and it is most apparent in the album’s best song “Mjölner, Hammer of Thor.” Beginning with the striking of an anvil, this song is four minutes and forty two seconds of the band at its best: awesome lyrical themes, awesome music, and awesome vocals. It is not genre defining, but it is a hell of a headbanging song. This is the formula that has given the band so much success and they have perfected it.

Overall Berzerker is another solid entry into Amon Amarth’s discography. They take what they have been doing their entire careers but they add some new elements to keep things interesting. This is definitely the band’s most accessible album, but it is still confined within the melodic death metal genre. If you are a fan of the band’s pre-With Oden on Our Side material, then this will not change your opinion of the band. If you like that album and each subsequent release, then listen to Berzerker. Finally, if you have not checked this band out or have only heard a few songs and enjoyed them, then give this album a try.

Children of Bodom I Worship ChaosNightingale Retribution
Amon Amarth Deceiver of the GodsChildren of Bodom Halo of Blood
Lost Horizon A Flame to the Ground BeneathDiablo Swing Orchestra Pandora's Pinata
good
Heathenhearted (2)
Complacency loud as Heimdall's horn....

Poet
May 3rd 2019

First review in almost four years.

And album is streaming on services such as Spotify now.

Hellscythe

"minor musical nuisances"

nuances?

Digging: Bethlehem - Dictius Te Necare

Poet
May 3rd 2019

Yep, thanks. It's been a hot minute since I've done one of these and I even forgot how to submit a review. Took me 5 minutes to figure it out again.

Source

Rules hard!

Digging: Pantera - Power Metal

Dewinged
May 3rd 2019

Good review dude. Album is fun as hell.

Digging: Full of Hell - Weeping Choir

Nifkin
May 3rd 2019

Damn, what's with these low ratings? Sure AA may not be breaking any new ground here, but they're very consistent and the album is solid.

Digging: Manegarm - Fornaldarsagor

Firedust
May 3rd 2019

I really like Oden but hate everything else after. Should I bother with this?

Scheumke
May 3rd 2019

Might be a weird comparison, but their sound reminds me a lot of Omnium Gatherum. I've always preferred their approach and songs to AA's though. Thought this was good, but it didn't grab me all that much unfortunately.

Digging: Illyria - The Carpathian Summit

Toondude10
May 3rd 2019

the production on this makes it sound like it was made 15 years ago, it's pretty ass tbh

Digging: Rammstein - Rammstein

Donchivo
May 3rd 2019

I just read the summary and can't believe it.. the most accesible band in the history of Death Metal becomes even more accesible?? They always were extremely superficial and direct, the exact opposite of subtle or complex. One listen and you had taken it all in...

Digging: Nate Hall - A Great River

DungeonBoy
May 3rd 2019

streaming in full on YouTube at the moment for anyone who want to jam it

Digging: D'un Autre Temps - Nos Mmoires

TheWonderSoFar
May 3rd 2019

The summary of this review makes me really not want to check this album

Digging: The Suicide Machines - Destruction By Definition

DungeonBoy
May 3rd 2019

arguably the most stagnant band in the history of metal

TheNotrap
May 3rd 2019

Always nice to see a user review featured.

I've been jamming to the album, it seems to me standard Amon Amarth as expected. Solid.

Shield Wall is my fav for the moment, I dig the verse.

Digging: Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Reqvires Circvmspice

Hawks
May 3rd 2019

Always pumped to hear new Amon Amarth.

Digging: Full of Hell - Weeping Choir

WatchItExplode
May 3rd 2019

Poet reviews Amon Amarth? What is this, 2013? Listening now. Kinda forgot this was dropping. Hopefully I dig more than Jomsviking.

Digging: Pile - Green and Grey

zaruyache

20848 Comments

I think this is their longest album to date and I have no clue why at this point they'd start cramming in content instead of being more streamlined. This is 56 minutes when all their best stuff was like less than 45.

Digging: Neckbeard Deathcamp - SO MUCH FOR THE TOLERANT LEFT