Ghost Park
物の怪 (Mononoke)

by Jack Wilson USER (5 Reviews)
April 24th, 2019 | 34 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Mononoke is more an emotional journey than album, combining lush instrumentation and the sounds of woodland to create an intense listening experience that is soon to be forgotten

I like to think every contribution to every form of art tells a story. Hidden within the cracks or the imperfections of a painting; the liner notes of a record or between the scrawlings of a seasoned writer. "Mononoke" spills its' story via the music within, and within the scrawlings of its' writer. It somehow speaks volumes while retaining perfect minimalism. It acts as a beautiful, twisted release of emotion - a still-image of the isolation that eventually affects all of us.

Mononoke is a solemn reflection on the past year or two and acts as the closing of a chapter of my life. At the beginning of this chapter, I made a grandiose, but ultimately ill-fated decision on impulse, for someone I once loved. As it turns out, it was a mostly disastrous and regretful decision. I found myself trapped in a parasitic, vindictive, and unhealthily codependent relationship. Escaping it and breaking the cycle of rekindling it was devastating, but allowed me to do a lot of self-reflection. Though, as a result of this relationship, I feel as though I've damaged myself almost irreparably and I'm still unsure if I'll ever fully recover. I've slowly been getting my life back together, but I've still lost a significant amount of time to this decision, and I feel permanently stunted in my growth as a human being...

Such is the still-image acting as the album cover perfectly demonstrating this isolation, taken in the lonely woods where the acoustic guitar(s) were recorded. This gives the LP a more grounded realism alongside its' ethereal catharsis: rain drops in the background, birds chirp and faint samples of a bustling Japanese village repeated backwards are heard throughout tracks like Samum, Autumn & A Chorus of Rust. Rarely are there glimpses of alternative intstrumentation other than the lone guitar, accompanied by the nature overshadowing most of the tracks. These songs flow like movements in an orchestral composition, or a score to a melancholy silent film where every scene is the buildup to a tear-filled climax. Those climaxes do occur despite the sparse variety of instruments orchestrated by 'Matt': we are given huge banging drums, choir-esque vocals and rolling synths. Malady and Melody plays out like a Godspeed! composition, and is easily the heaviest track on the record however does suffer from a slight misplacement in the track-listing. Track ordering aside, this album sounds so damn pretty. All of the seperate layers blend immensley well together and build-up to create such an intense atmosphere, even on the more down-tempo tracks. It sounds like an entire lifetime compressed to a 70 minute running time, filled to the brim with creative melodies, arpeggios and oriental influences.

However, this album is also one of catharsis; a culmination of spending a lot of time in the woods, surrounding myself with nature; reading a lot of books; delving into Japanese folklore and folk music, Icelandic neoclassical, ambient minimalism, and film scores; ruminating on personal failures and flaws, and my apparent lack of ambition; and the deep seasonal abyss I found myself unable to escape...

There is so much pain and injury packed into this thing, once you read Matt's story alongside the album like a lyric-sheet, you can really start to see the meaning behind each movement. This is more a fully-fledged emotional journey than a 15-song album, the songwriter has opened up his heart and allowed you to listen - its just up to you to hold the tears back.

Favourite Tracks:
"Autumn", Parts 1 & 2
"Caitlin's Nocturne"
"Tides Swell, the Moon Rises"
"A Chorus of Rust"
"Paper Machines"
"Amongst the Cherry Blossoms"

sepiaclouds
April 24th 2019

I'm not sure whether this will be for everyone but I am in love with how this album sounds, it is seriously one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. Feel free to criticise my rating and my writing, I tried out a different-ish style for this one. From what I can tell this act is relatively unknown so please check them out and give them/him some love, this and the rest of his stuff is available completely free from his Bandcamp should you choose to download it. Either way, give it a listen, tell me what you think.

looks cool af

Digging: Ghost Park - ??? (Mononoke)

brainmelter

yeah this sounds dope

Digging: Vothana - B?n Tuyn Ngn -Demo V

I am very interested

April 24th 2019

This looks like something I'd like.

April 25th 2019

jesus fuckin christ this has 2 VOTES????

astonishingly gorgeous stuff

thanks for sharing

Digging: D'un Autre Temps - Nos Mmoires

DungeonBoy
April 25th 2019

Your writing is good. I don't think I've ever seen someone write its' the way you do. You don't need to do that, it's just its. POS, even though I did find this album to be a bit too meandering and the run time is a bit much. It made for better background music than an engaging listen this morning.

bump

May 10th 2019

Won't listen until it hits Spotify.

May 10th 2019

I thought they were Japanese ??? They're American as fuck but their album titles are in Japanese apparently ??? Which is kind of cringe tbh ??? My interest is waning.

Give it a listen pal

May 12th 2019

I will when (if) it hits Spotify. I did listen to their two EPs and really liked them, especially their first one.

May 12th 2019

yeah not being on spotify is a huge bummer tbh

May 13th 2019

I am now one of this band's 46 followers on Twitter.

sepiaclouds