Dead To A Dying World
Elegy

by Xenophanes STAFF
April 24th, 2019 | 35 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Dead to a Dying World are doing doom better than anyone else right now and it’s time you took notice.

When a doom band called Dead to a Dying World releases an album called Elegy, you’d be forgiven for thinking “oh this old card again.” While the Dallas act drinks from many different and very familiar wells, their brand of doom metal feels revelatory.

Flashes of Godspeed, Candlemass, Twilight, and The Pax Cecilia are everywhere on their latest record. But when the strings and shrieks swell on “Empty Hands, Hollow Hymns,” it doesn’t really matter because Dead to a Dying World pull their symphonic, sludge-laden take on their influences from a unique and emotive place.

Elegy takes cues from its own title and that of the band’s. It’s a dirge for the slow death of the planet which feels, thematically, like the fullest realization of the band yet. Fiction is full of apocalyptic visions of the fall of Earth, but Elegy is a unique vestment of the morose and operatic sound of doom on a typically chaotic and melodramatic theme. Visions of the ravages of climate change and pollution elicit the depressing sounds of “Of Moss and Stone.” When one thinks about the depleted forests and disappearance of aquatic species, it’s “Hewn from Falling Water,” not Kreator’s “When The Sun Burns Red,” that plays.

It’s ostensibly depressing, lacking in subtlety and it works beautifully. Dead to a Dying World are doing doom better than anyone else right now and Elegy is their boldest and most affecting statement yet.

Inter Arma Sulphur EnglishWaste of Space Orchestra Syntheosis
Vous Autres Champ du SangVanum Ageless Fire
Krallice WolfChapel of Disease ...And As We Have Seen The Storm

oh this old card again

Digging: Warforged - I: Voice

April 24th 2019

nice & short review, will definitely give it a listen

Sniff
April 24th 2019

drop the symphonic bogus and then we can talk

This shit is so boring

icatchthirtythree

this is dope

Nocte
April 25th 2019

This took a long while to get into

April 25th 2019

turns out it didn't affect me

TheNotrap
April 25th 2019

These short reviews are nice

Jamming now, their music has an interesting angle

Digging: Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Reqvires Circvmspice

Durrzo
April 25th 2019

I like this when they're actually doing something, but there's a whole lot of nothing going on so far and I'm pretty over it already.

DrGonzo1937
April 25th 2019

ive been sat on a review for this since sunday but wasn't happy with it. this pretty much says what I wanted -- nice job xeno. I absolutely love the style of this; its swans meets black metal!

Guess I need this asap.

Digging: Flamen - Furor Lunae

deezer666
April 25th 2019

My friend adores this band I saw them live and it was all a bit 'meh' looking forward to listening this allthough 'doom' was never a word i associated with them

Great band and review.

Digging: Morning Again - As Tradition Dies Slowly

oltnabrick

interesting will check

Digging: Sun Ra - Jazz in Silhouette

Catatonic
April 25th 2019

Digging the hell out of their sound

naughtcturnal
April 26th 2019

Holy shit this is great. I don't know if it's just me that doesn't know the proper definition of "symphonic" but I personally got more folky vibes from this than symphonic ones. Either way, it all sounds great together. Profound Lore are having quite a year so far. Great write-up and thanks for turning me onto this

naughtcturnal

Also, Thor Harris AND Jarboe are on this which is epicccccc

TheSupernatural
April 26th 2019

Wtf is that Buzzfeed-level summary?

Getting on this now. m/

April 26th 2019

Ok yeah this is good stuff.