William Tyler
Goes West

by Sunnyvale USER (5 Reviews)
April 20th, 2019 | 10 replies

Release Date: 01/25/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Eminently listenable instrumental Americana

Tennessee musician William Tyler, best known for his role in indie-ish bands Lambchop and Silver Jews, has mostly flown under the radar on Sputnik throughout his solo career. His third album, 2016’s Modern Country, did garner some moderate attention and acclaim on the site. Its long-form instrumental American tunes, which summoned visions of sweeping vistas and the wide-open expanses of the American west, were a bit of a revelation for the minority (myself included) who discovered them.

So where has William Tyler taken his musical direction from there? His new album, Goes West, achieves the often difficult feat of matching the last album’s quality while simultaneously moving in a different style. While still easily describable as instrumental Americana, Tyler here trades in the mostly more languid tracks of Modern Country (several of which approached ten minutes in length) for easily digestible tunes with catchier melodies. This is Tyler’s “pop” album, although the overall effect of the music remains largely the same. Comprised of ten songs clocking in at around 37 minutes, Goes West is gorgeous in an accessible way but so mellow that it works beautifully as background music. Most of the melodies are repetitive, and simultaneously melancholy and sedate. Once again, the album spurs the mind towards endless wild landscapes and the freedom of the road. Ultimately, this is an ideal slab of tunes for absent-minded listening while focusing on something else, but there’s plenty of meditative beauty for more focused minds to enjoy as well. Check it out!

Sunnyvale
April 20th 2019

Just a quick writeup for one my favorite albums of this year so far. Probably not my favorite 2019 album, but definitely my most listened to release of the first four months or so.

Nice!

neekafat
April 21st 2019

oooooooh really wanna check this

Slex
April 21st 2019

Good write-up, love this guy

Digging: Common Holly - When I say to you Black Lightning

dmathias52
April 21st 2019

One of my favorites from this year. Totally agree on the absent minded listening, which I mean in the best way possible. Perfect homework music.

Digging: Stuck Out Here - Until We're Each Someone Else

April 21st 2019

also a perfect morning album imo

Sunnyvale
April 21st 2019

Thanks guys, happy to write something up for it

butt.
June 24th 2019

so this is instrumental?

dmathias52
June 24th 2019

Yup, instrumental! Very chill post-Americana type stuff. Perfect morning album

September 28th 2019

jamming my vinyl of this right now and still such a nice, gentle album to set the tone right for the morning