Inter Arma
Sulphur English

by Xenophanes STAFF
April 15th, 2019 | 9 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A valedictory commodity to Inter Arma’s admirable decade of post-metal oddity.

Inter Arma might be metal’s biggest success story of this decade. Coming hot off an era where post-metal exploded and fizzled, where ISIS was born and passed and Neurosis began to necrotize, Inter Arma have been relatively critique-proof. The cross-over darlings have enjoyed a career which has cambered upwards with each slab of long-form sludge aggression, thriving while the rest of their ilk have flatlined. With Sulpher English the band gain even more traction heading into the next decade.

Answering for Paradise Gallows’ comparatively sunny disposition, their latest mires itself in the band’s early period. Songs like “A Waxen Sea” burn with an Ulcerate-like conflagration, while “Citadel” lurches with the boiling intensity of a Fister track. “Howling Lands,” meanwhile trades the overt intensity for an unsettling cadence of tribalistic drums fitting a modern Cobalt piece. But for all the name dropping, Inter Arma are able to pull out an ill-fitting 70s prog worship song and make it work like no one else. Because of this, Sulphur English is both a career spanning bow on an admirable decade and a determined look toward the future.

Waste of Space Orchestra SyntheosisVous Autres Champ du Sang
Vanum Ageless FireKrallice Wolf
Chapel of Disease ...And As We Have Seen The StormSigh Heir to Despair
Dean M. CONTRIBUTOR (4.5)
With a unique, unified songwriting ethos, Inter Arma have finally made their myriad influences coher...

Dedes
April 17th 2019

Damn short review son

JWT155
April 17th 2019

Very short.

magicuba
April 18th 2019

blood on the lupines and few other moments drag a lot, rest of the album is pretty good

trilo
April 18th 2019

blood on the lupines owns

Digging: Inter Arma - Sulphur English

MetalMarcJK
April 22nd 2019

I remember these guys from my four years in DC. It seemed - well, still seems - that Richmond has produced a lot of great bands. IA was one of them. Live? Rad! On the album? Not so much; however, this album finally clicks with me.

4.25 out of 5

band's incredible

Digging: PUP - Morbid Stuff

trilo
April 22nd 2019

hell yea dude. this is my fav LP of theirs but everything they've done owns

Hawks
April 22nd 2019

This is easily my least fav but it still rules. Just drags in spots like Magicuba aid.